The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Also, very sad news of a massive loss of original master recordings, demonstrating recording industry corporate incompetence, negligence, and dishonesty. An astounding loss of our musical heritage. How incredibly stupid to keep all the originals in the same place without making complete digital copies for everything kept elsewhere. And a fantastic example of how corporate mergers and conglomerations can put key resources at risk to single point failures.

"Here Are Hundreds More Artists Whose Tapes Were" thought to be "Destroyed in the UMG Fire"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/magazine/universal-music-fire-bands-list-umg.html

Last edited:
A new discovery for me. She reminds me of Karen Carpenter, Kate Bush, and early King Crimson (for the chord progressions), yet unique and disjoint from these. Heavenly.

Weyes Blood - Wild Time

http://weyesblood.bandcamp.com/track/wild-time
Did you see that in the Hatchie comments, too? I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not. At first, I thought I did. When I came back the next day to put it on the Watch, I wasn't so sure. Talent galore, but the songs I sampled were on that edge between revelation and really bad 70's dreck--Karen Carpenter without the spark.

Last edited:
That's interesting. When I did my YouBoob search, I got a different palette of her work. Wild Times is really good, even if it's a little folksy for my taste (agree with Ripper's comparables). My search came up with this starting point, and the follow-up pointers had similar tones. Again, still clear talent, but a more poppy vibe albeit 70s pop. It sets you up with a different image of the artist, me thinks. Ghosts in the machine, showing us what they think we want?

I really recommend looking up the performances of The Chemical Brothers and The Cure at Glastonbury. The cure played Disintegration, and The Chemicals really showed how to do EDM.

If you had to resort to the dark arts to find them, because of licensing issues that make it impossible to see otherwise, I'd forgive you.

Also, very sad news of a massive loss of original master recordings, demonstrating recording industry corporate incompetence, negligence, and dishonesty. An astounding loss of our musical heritage. How incredibly stupid to keep all the originals in the same place without making complete digital copies for everything kept elsewhere. And a fantastic example of how corporate mergers and conglomerations can put key resources at risk to single point failures.

"Here Are Hundreds More Artists Whose Tapes Were" thought to be "Destroyed in the UMG Fire"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/magazine/universal-music-fire-bands-list-umg.html

Just shows me again how much big record companies have become leeches and ticks and parasites. They feed in Creativity, suck the money out of it, and care about nothing but money. Money. Not about the artists or their works.

At the risk of banging on about it, I'd repeat my recommendation to find The Chemical Brothers set from Glastonbury. I've watched for the third time, and it's definitely going in my collection of live gig videos. I discussed it with a friend of mine who's in his seventies, and he said it was the first time he could understand the appeal of that sort of thing.

There's some individual track videos on Youtube, but I think it's a shame to watch them out of context. It really is meant as a whole audio/video show.

Last edited:
Mostly working on Hatchie when I've had time, although I'll throw out a little something out there for the group to consider. I'd call it a "modern Sarah sound" if anything. Thrasher might like the ridonkulous drumming in the verses since he likes his music to twist his ear a bit.

If I gad told myseld as a teenager or as a mid-20 that one day I'd go to a ZZ Top concert, I would have laughed very hardly at myself and called me completely crazy.

Well ... I had my fun ... ;)

Ah Vurt, that takes me back. The netwerk bands were the best. Love the heavy beats and bass and chords on this one (depending on my mood).

Last edited:
Hatchie Tour Dates (we will probably be in Hawaii on the LA date)

Fri 19-Jul / Splendour in the Grass / Byron Bay, AU TICKETS
Wed 4-Sep / Rough Trade NYC / Brooklyn, NY TICKETS
Thu 5-Sep / Great Scott / Boston, MA TICKETS
Fri 6-Sep / World Cafe Live (Downstairs) / Philadelphia, PA TICKETS
Sat 7-Sep / DC9 / Washington, D.C. TICKETS
Sun 8-Sep / Club Cafe / Pittsburgh, PA TICKETS
Tue 10-Sep / The Garrison / Toronto, ON TICKETS
Wed 11-Sep / Deluxx Fluxx / Detroit, MI TICKETS
Sat 12-Sep / Empty Bottle / Chicago, IL TICKETS
Fri 13-Sep / Shitty Barn / Spring Green, WI SOLD OUT
Sat 14-Sep / 7th Street Entry / Minneapolis, MN TICKETS
Mon 16-Sep / recordBar / Kansas City, MO TICKETS
Tue 17-Sep / Larimer Lounge / Denver, CO TICKETS
Fri 20-Sep / Soda Bar / San Diego, CA TICKETS
Sat 21-Sep / Echoplex / Los Angeles, CA TICKETS
Wed 25-Sep / Cafe Du Nord / San Francisco, CA TICKETS
Fri 27-Sep / Mississippi Studios / Portland, OR TICKETS
Sat 28-Sep / Barboza / Seattle, WA TICKETS
Sun 29-Sep / Fortune Sound Club / Vancouver, BC TICKETS
Sun 6-Oct / Wollongong, NSW / Yours & Owls TICKETS
Sat 12-Oct / Brisbane, QLD / Woolly Mammoth TICKETS
Thu 17-Oct / Sydney, NSW / Oxford Art Factory TICKETS
Fri 18-Oct / Fremantle, WA / Mojo’s TICKETS
Sat 19-Oct / Adelaide, SA / Jive (AA) TICKETS
Fri 25-Oct / Melbourne, VIC / Howler TICKETS

https://hatchie.net/

Hatchie Tour Dates (we will probably be in Hawaii on the LA date)

Fri 19-Jul / Splendour in the Grass / Byron Bay, AU TICKETS
Wed 4-Sep / Rough Trade NYC / Brooklyn, NY TICKETS
Thu 5-Sep / Great Scott / Boston, MA TICKETS
Fri 6-Sep / World Cafe Live (Downstairs) / Philadelphia, PA TICKETS
Sat 7-Sep / DC9 / Washington, D.C. TICKETS
Sun 8-Sep / Club Cafe / Pittsburgh, PA TICKETS
Tue 10-Sep / The Garrison / Toronto, ON TICKETS
Wed 11-Sep / Deluxx Fluxx / Detroit, MI TICKETS
Sat 12-Sep / Empty Bottle / Chicago, IL TICKETS
Fri 13-Sep / Shitty Barn / Spring Green, WI SOLD OUT
Sat 14-Sep / 7th Street Entry / Minneapolis, MN TICKETS
Mon 16-Sep / recordBar / Kansas City, MO TICKETS
Tue 17-Sep / Larimer Lounge / Denver, CO TICKETS
Fri 20-Sep / Soda Bar / San Diego, CA TICKETS
Sat 21-Sep / Echoplex / Los Angeles, CA TICKETS
Wed 25-Sep / Cafe Du Nord / San Francisco, CA TICKETS
Fri 27-Sep / Mississippi Studios / Portland, OR TICKETS
Sat 28-Sep / Barboza / Seattle, WA TICKETS
Sun 29-Sep / Fortune Sound Club / Vancouver, BC TICKETS
Sun 6-Oct / Wollongong, NSW / Yours & Owls TICKETS
Sat 12-Oct / Brisbane, QLD / Woolly Mammoth TICKETS
Thu 17-Oct / Sydney, NSW / Oxford Art Factory TICKETS
Fri 18-Oct / Fremantle, WA / Mojo’s TICKETS
Sat 19-Oct / Adelaide, SA / Jive (AA) TICKETS
Fri 25-Oct / Melbourne, VIC / Howler TICKETS

https://hatchie.net/
Well that sucks. Detroit on a Wednesday, and that's a six hour drive. Maybe I could absolutely need to visit the design guys at Ford that day...

Back
Top Bottom