Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Best RPG

You can start B&W with premade character right away too.

Interesting, didn't know that. I guess the criteria, then, is that a certain number of years have to pass inbetween game and expansion release?

If I recall correctly, SoD is actually a stand alone game, which only requires you to buy SoD. B&W requires TW3 to run, and is a more traditional expansion in that regard.

Meh 2016 was the year of Average RPG's compared to 2014-2015.:disappointed:

So yeah like a few other posters said before I would say Blood & Wine was my best RPG experience last year, but I have also enjoyed playing Tyranny & Grim Dawn.

Sorry, but I don't see Destiny, Overwatch nor Division on the list. Did you even read the actual list or just codexians' posts?

Game of the Year votes come in here by a simple number of votes. That means because over 1,000,000 people bought Darkest Dungeon, and some 16,000 people bought my favorite (no I'm not being partisan or making a commercial :) ) Stranger of Sword City, the chance that the game made the list was actually pretty high. I've invested myself in playing a lot of current games as a member of the staff, but before I was active on this site, I might have played 1 or 2 new releases each year and waited for everything else to go on sale. I suspect that a lot of people who voted played 5 releases or less, and then the chances are good that its the big sellers, like Darkest Dungeon, Grim Dawn, Deus Ex, Siege of Dragonspear, Blood and Wine, Dark Souls 3, Stardew Valley or Dragon's Dogma.

Also, it could be that there are a more and more people in my boat, who don't play games until several months after release - the incentives for taking that approach are ever stronger. There might be fewer informed votes in general.

Also, I'm not personally interested in hierarchical lists at all, and I don't participate. I'd be more interested in just a list of the top RPGs in a given year, without worrying about relative position.

The sad thing about this awards is that we rarely actually have the time more than 3 or 4 games launched in the year. I complained about Tyranny in 1st, but it was one of the 4 games I played in the year and I put in second because I couldn't vote for The Witcher 3 (and the other 2016 game I played sucked hard). So yeah, the most famous games will be the better ones.

Blood and Wine is in the 14th place. This is probably low because it was only available as a manual addition and most people don't use that.

As to Tyranny, there are quite some regulars who voted for the game. Some of the votes also came from regulars at the Codex.

(in no specific order)

Lesser known titles of 2016 that are fun to play
The Quest
Balrum
Stardew Valley
Sunless Sea
The Dwarf Run
Stranger of Sword City
Ara Fell
Bastard Bonds
SteamWorld Heist
The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Ember
Sorcery!
Dungeon Rats
Xanadu Next

Better known titles of 2016 that are not bad
Dragon's Dogma
XCOM 2
Grim Dawn
The Banner Saga 2
DARK SOULS III
Technomancer
Avadon 3
Tyranny

Good re-releases in 2016
Quest For Glory 1-5
Arcanum
Final Fantasy X/X2
Final Fantasy IX

Plenty of good stuff there, IMO.

I'm surprised to see Grim Dawn at #2 a lot, I don't remember people talking about it around here outside the occasional news post.
I won the game in the anniversary raffle here, tried it out, and came to the conclusion that it's quite enjoyable. I doubt I would have ever bought it, but I spent more than 100 hours with it and may return to it at some point.

Blood and Wine is in the 14th place. This is probably low because it was only available as a manual addition and most people don't use that.

As to Tyranny, there are quite some regulars who voted for the game. Some of the votes also came from regulars at the Codex.
About how many users voted in total?

I'm guessing there's a lot of votes from non or seldom posters?

I was pretty shocked to see DS3 in the top 3 considering when there's a thread about it it's usually just me and 2-3 other people posting.

I was thinking the exact same thing! I voted for DS3 as my top 3 choices but didn't think it will make it to the top 10. So other than me and sakichop, who else voted for it? :lol:

@Myrthos do you mind posting the actual number of votes for each game please?

I was thinking the exact same thing! I voted for DS3 as my top 3 choices but didn't think it will make it to the top 10. So other than me and sakichop, who else voted for it? :lol:

I didn't know you could vote for it for all 3 spots or I would have done that.:)

I'm just shocked Darkest Dungeon comes in at #8 … wow

Well, it would be my #1 of that list. Because it's actually the only game I played from it. ^^

Not sure if I voted for it though…wouldn't really consider it an RPG. And I'd neither consider XCom an RPG.

Also I don't think I saw that voting for no game was actually an option. I think that would have my choice as well.

Can't say that I am disappointed about the results though. Personally I voted for Avadon 3 which I didn't even play yet as I didn't see much of a choice and I liked all other spiderweb games. But I guess that game is just too niche to win.
Tyranny just had a very easy job to win here as the only "pure" RPG which is not so niche.

But while 2016 was a bad year for RPG releases, it kinda wasn't for RPG-Gamers. 2015 was such a great year, that there was probably plenty to play left for most people. and 2017 is not talking long until it is (probably) going to be awesome.
So 2016 was a mere bump in the road. And if you weren't too fast, you are probably still enjoying the ride. :)

Back
Top Bottom