Alpha Protocol - Video, Preview

Why look, it's a Mass Effect screen. How nice.
Way to go Obsidian, rip off another mediocre element from your big-brother. :p

The skills did remind me of Mass Effect, assuming those little marks in some of the boxes are where you open up other skills. I guess the dialog choices list looks a bit ME'ish but was ME the first to do that??

All in all, this game is looking very good, IMHO. I'll want to see reviews to make sure it's not a bug fest or anything but I would call it a likely buy.

I think it looks great - I just hope they can really pull off distinct gameplay feel for techno vs. stealth vs. brute.

hoping for a good 30 to 40 hours on this one, whether with 2 playthroughs or a single game. Main character reminds me of my brother's friend though, and he's a douche ;)

The skills did remind me of Mass Effect, assuming those little marks in some of the boxes are where you open up other skills. I guess the dialog choices list looks a bit ME'ish but was ME the first to do that??

All in all, this game is looking very good, IMHO. I'll want to see reviews to make sure it's not a bug fest or anything but I would call it a likely buy.

That character screen style has been used in any number of games. The wheel is something BioWare-specific, although earlier games (like Deus Ex and Indigo Prophecy) did of course have (different looking) interfaces for "pick this and character will say something."

That character screen style has been used in any number of games. The wheel is something BioWare-specific, although earlier games (like Deus Ex and Indigo Prophecy) did of course have (different looking) interfaces for "pick this and character will say something."

Never played Indigo Prophecy, but I'd be quite happy if it turns out to be anything like Deus Ex.

This may sound strange, but I'm actually more worried about the actual gameplay than RPG elements/writing. It looks like fairly straight forward action to me. They have said several times that various types of gameplay will be supported, but I haven't seen any good examples yet - usually, shooting a bunch of bad guys seems to be the easiest way to complete missions.

Still, I'll certainly buy the game as soon as it's out and give it a spin. Hopefully, the gameplay turns out allright.

That is almost the exact same character screen as mass effect right down to the positioning of text, all that is changed is actual text and an extra box at the bottom right.

Since Mass Effect had an absolutely abysmal character system, this does not bode well.

Fortunately for me, I have little interest in this setting - so no big thing.

Do it come as a suprise, that it look a little as mass effect, then they probely has bought the engien from Bioware? The thing that is intersting in this game are the setting, not the engien. Further, I personal liked Mass Effect alot, so that only a good thing in my book.

Looking good. The more I see of the settings, the better I like it. Great beards, too -- can't wait to try out some of those disguises. Hope it's well supported by the game mechanics, too.

I think this may just have moved to the top of my most-anticipated-in-the-near-future list, since AoD still doesn't have a release date. Or does it?

Great beards, too -- can't wait to try out some of those disguises. Hope it's well supported by the game mechanics, too.

You frankly think that the character customization will serve anything else than keeping the eye candy department busy? I predict it will have minimum effect. The Hitman games, some 5 years old, will have had deeper stealth elements than this. The weapon upgrade reminds me of the horrible upgrade system in KotOR.

Well, if HoMM and Diablo qualify as RPG, than this must, too. While a big Strategy/RPG fan I like games that take the best from both worlds. Bur history teaches us that nothing great comes out of the FPS/RPG corner. So I'm not too eager to this one finished, besides I'd need a new machine to run it. Better waiting for the next generic Russian Fantasy RTS, of which each has more RPG in it than that. (and it runs on my 5y-old computer...)

Wow, I hope this is just one of those days where everyone seems to be in a bad mood, because this negative attitude towards what could be one hell of title does not suit the Watch crowd IMO.

There are plenty of other places I can visit if I want to parade around with my :end: sign. :p

Anyways, I definitely like what I see and since I'm apparently one of the few people here at the Watch that really liked Mass Effect, I'm not in the least deterred by the fact that the same engine is being used in Alpha Protocol, on the contrary: Obsidian and Black Isle Studios before them have repeatedly shown that they can take an existing engine and use it to make one hell of a game.

Wow, I hope this is just one of those days where everyone seems to be in a bad mood, because this negative attitude towards what could be one hell of title does not suit the Watch crowd IMO.

There are plenty of other places I can visit if I want to parade around with my :end: sign. :p

Anyways, I definitely like what I see and since I'm apparently one of the few people here at the Watch that really liked Mass Effect, I'm not in the least deterred by the fact that the same engine is being used in Alpha Protocol, on the contrary: Obsidian and Black Isle Studios before them have repeatedly shown that they can take an existing engine and use it to make one hell of a game.

I'm generally not negative :)

I just don't often like what developers put out these days, and I don't mind talking about it.

I think that sort of thing suits the Watch just fine.

It's certainly better than most other forums, where you're crucified for not liking everything the modern industry puts out (QT3) or for not hating everything the modern industry puts out (Codex).

They're seemingly aping Mass Effect, and that's especially sad given this is Obsidian - which is one of the very last enthusiast semi-AAA houses left.

You frankly think that the character customization will serve anything else than keeping the eye candy department busy?

I hope it does. Of course, just like you, I have no way of knowing. They did look like disguises, though, rather than regular character customization. For one thing, the facial features remained the same.

I predict it will have minimum effect. The Hitman games, some 5 years old, will have had deeper stealth elements than this. The weapon upgrade reminds me of the horrible upgrade system in KotOR.

Only as far as the user interface. The upgrades themselves appeared individually modeled for the weapon instead of having generic 2D icons, and the index numbers were noticeably absent (except for one "Mk 2" somewhere). To me that suggests that it will be rather different from ME's "quantity over quality" approach.

Well, if HoMM and Diablo qualify as RPG, than this must, too. While a big Strategy/RPG fan I like games that take the best from both worlds. Bur history teaches us that nothing great comes out of the FPS/RPG corner.

Deus Ex much?

this negative attitude towards what could be one hell of title does not suit the Watch crowd IMO.

You're not the only one who noticed that. ;)

I personally think it looks great so far, and this video has really peaked my interest. I especially like the concept of the Safe House, it reminds me of the Haven in VtM:Bloodlines.

At this point I'd have to say AP is very close to being a "must buy" for me.

I just don't often like what developers put out these days, and I don't mind talking about it.

:D That has to be the most wonderful piece of unintentional irony I've come across in ages.

No, of course not. Mine was a mere ironic remark, in that I am hardly the first to point out the undeniably similar design elements of Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol.
Still, the tacking on of the whole skill-upgrade UI is taking it a bit far. With a side-by-side comparison, the derivation is glaringly obvious and does not bode well. After all, imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery, but it also denotes a basic lack of originality.

True, but the same could be said of almost any game featuring a dialogue-tree. That's akin to defending the difference in any GUI element: it's relatively useless.
Now, when it comes to elements such as the dialogue-wheel and specific aspects of the UI, such as the skill screen above, it's clear where the "inspiration" is coming from.

This may sound strange, but I'm actually more worried about the actual gameplay than RPG elements/writing...
Honestly, I could not agree more. Of course, where I am concerned, each of those are pivotal aspects of the "gameplay" itself. I don't mean to begin a debate concerning the semantic definition of "gameplay," now, just stating my perspective, and...

...Still, I'll certainly buy the game as soon as it's out and give it a spin. Hopefully, the gameplay turns out allright.
...I was with you up until this. For me, it's turned out to be a game I will demo/rent before making a decision.

Do it come as a suprise, that it look a little as mass effect, then they probely has bought the engien from Bioware? The thing that is intersting in this game are the setting, not the engien. Further, I personal liked Mass Effect alot, so that only a good thing in my book.
Not at all, mate. The engine has nothing to do with the GUI at all. Not a thing. For that matter, Bioware does not own the licensing rights to the engine utilized in both ME and AP (the Unreal Engine 3), that would be Epic Games.
If the engine played any part in this, you'd see a similar appearance cropping up in every UE3 game, which includes, well, all of these. That you don't only makes this worse.

I think that sort of thing suits the Watch just fine.
Seconded, in every respect.

They're seemingly aping Mass Effect, and that's especially sad given this is Obsidian - which is one of the very last enthusiast semi-AAA houses left.
Now this is where my negativity stems from, at least in regards to Obsidian Entertainment. It can best be summed up in one phrase: where do they get off?
Honestly, where does this fan-frenzy of adoration stem from? Thus far they have delivered a slew of buggy sub-par games, nothing more. What's worse, EVERY SINGLE ONE has been a rip-off of an earlier Bioware title. I don't know about you, mates, but I was hoping for more than "Bioware Junior" from these guys.
Take a moment to evaluate their track-record of released titles thus far and see what I mean:
* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II --- A buggy and unfinished followup to Bioware's KotoR.
* Neverwinter Nights 2 et al --- A buggy followup to Bioware's NWN.
...wow, a little underwhelming isn't it? Hence comments in their defense, such as DArtagnan stating that they are "one of the very last enthusiast semi-AAA houses left" tends to raise my ire.
Enthusiast houses? HOW?
What's more, their in-development projects only go further to prove my point:
* Alpha Protocol --- Appears to be shaping up as a FPS/RPG-esque title, with emphasis on the action (which appears poorly implemented) and a "cinematic" feel, utilizing the UE3 engine and similar aesthetically to...you guessed it! Bioware's Mass Effect.
Then, adding insult to injury, we get their latest "major announcement" product:
* Fallout: New Vegas
Need I say more? ...yes.
No longer content to mimic one "major" studio any longer, are we, Obsidian? Must you sink so low as to dig through the relics of Bethesda's mainstream success as well?

[/RANT ENDS]

And that's my take on the whole sordid affair.
In short: I do not like Obsidian, as they have yet to produce anything truly unique, something that defines them as a studio. I have high-hopes, what with the caliber of their staff, but until they release something that is indistinguishably their own, something that screams "Proud Product of Original Thought, Courtesy of Obsidian Studios!" I just don't care.

I was interested, now I'm excited after watching this. A RPG that's not elfs & swords! Yeah!

I think the game looks great. A lot of my previous concerns have been alleviated. The customized character is nice, I hated the look of the character in the first video.

I wish the weapons were based on real weapons, just makes it a lot easier for me to choose what weapons I want if I'm already familiar with their capabilities. Hopefully the games is moddable and someone can do a change these to real weapons mod.

Yeah, it's a lot like Mass Effect but I liked Mass Effect. The things I didn't like about Mass Effect ( talking to each companion about their feelings, planet exploring ) aren't present in this game. The UI isn't stellar but it looks serviceable. After tragedies like Oblivion, F3 and Last Remenant my standards for acceptable UI have lowered dramatically. Note to developers: I'd rather you copy a good generic UI than half port your horrible console interface. PS: I don't have a triangle button, but I do have a mouse.

It looks to me like AP has have all the groceries in place, now let's just hope the meat is something worth eating.

Back
Top Bottom