The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Part 4: Pit fiend part 1
In part 4 you get the first encounter with the pit fiend Arratriekos (called Harry by experienced DDO players).

This part is rather easy to understand, but harder to survive. You end up in a big room. A scout party of 8 trash mobs appear (2 waves of 4) and they have to be killed.

When the trash is killed then Arratriekos will spawn in the center. The fighters surround him and hit his with what they have. You need both holy/good and silver/metalline to break his DR. If you have holy burst weapons and can get a artificer to cast silver on your weapon you will be fine. So artificers are very popular to have in the Shroud.

Casters hit Arratriekos with spells and healers heal the center blob of fighters. Shavarath blades move around all the time to harass the casters so be prepared to heal yourself from time to time. You need fire protection, protection from poison and freedom of movement to last here.

Arratriekos will disappear after a certain amount of time and reappear 2 times. So you have max 3 rounds to fight him or you will fail. Each time he reappears more trash mobs will spawn making the job harder. So they clue is to have high enough dps to kill him in round 1 or get him so far down so round 2 is quickly over before the trash gnolls (who heal Arratriekos) can't ruin the run. Killing the trash mobs in round 2 and 3 is the main job for the casters.

The big challenge of part 4 is that if you die you can NOT be resurrected until the fight is over. So the healers are very busy keeping the fighters alive. Once characters start to die you can quickly get a wipe. On normal difficulty it happens rarely, but can happen on hard or elite. So having capable healers is very important.

End reward from part 4 is 2 chests which can contain medium or large ingredients and great or supreme shards of power.

Part 5: Pit fiend part 2
When you hit the altar in part 4 then all PC's are killed and transported to a plane where Arratriekos was sent when he was destroyed in part 4. So you begin part 5 without any buffs etc.

Fortunately you start part 5 a bit easy. Arratriekos will summon the boss mobs you destroyed in part 2 and you will have to deal with them first. They have to be separated to be killed. Usually the raid group will save one and just block that one while the other 3 are killed. Some in the raid group will deal out fire resistance, neutralize poison, freedom of movement, blur, greater heroism etc. while some take out the bosses.

In each corner there are water pools where you can move in to regain mana. So it's normal to let the healers and caster get back to full mana strength before the 4th boss is killed.

Arratriekos will spawn again near the altar in the big room and the group must pull him away from the altar and then surround him. The fighters hit him as they did in part 4 and casters and healers do the same too. Part 5 is actually simpler because you can just use your time to kill him and no more monsters will appear. Only Shavarath blades will harass you.

End reward will be 2 chests (normal), 3 (hard), 4 (elite) where you ca pull large ingredients and supreme shards of power. One large ingredient is guaranteed. An altar of devastation is here (tier 3 crafting).

Do not click the altar because it will end the quest. Some people will use a d-door to get back to the start area and click on the door to get back to Meridia and leave the group before the quest is completed. That allows them to redo the raid without being on a raid timer. They won't get the part 5 reward and end reward from the quest giver. So this is usually done for people who want to farm ingredients for tier 1 and tier 2.

Once the quest is ended you can use one of the 4 portals to get to the other 4 parts for chests you missed or crafting (part 1 and 3) or you can use the part 5 altar for crafting.

Final thing you need to do is to get the end reward from the quest giver to reset the raid time and wait 2 days 18 hours or longer for the next chance to do Shroud on this character.

We are just over 100k XP away from guild level 50 and then we can get the next guildship with more buffs. We have to rebuild the guildship and this is what I propose.

Our next guild airship: Windspyre Falcon
Proposed new ones marked with blue. <Proposed removed ones marked with red. List shows settings at guild level 50.

Crew slots:
* House Jorasco Healer (+10% on received healing)
* Clan Gnashtooth Kobold (+1 to all saves, +1 to attack, +1 to AC)
* Navigator level 2 (Allows transport to all areas you've started or completed the explorer quest)
* Darguun Hobgoblin Warrior (+4 save vs fear, +2 damage)
* House Phiarlan Entertainer (+1 to all saves, +1 DC for enchantment/illusion spells)
* Scholar of the Twelve (+1 spell penetration, +1 DC to conjuration/evocation)

Small slots:
* Free Agent Tavern (barkeeper)
* Kundarak Banker (bank)
* Gold seal Lesser Charisma shrine (+2 cha)
* Gold seal Lesser strength shrine (+2 str)
* Gold seal Lesser constitution shrine (+2 con)
* Gold seal Lesser wisdom shrine (+2 wis)
* Acid resist shrine (+ 20) or Gold seal Greater acid resist shrine (+30)
* Fire resist shrine (+ 20) or Gold seal Greater fire resist shrine (+30)

Large slots:
* Lesser Experience shrine (+2% XP) or gold seal Experience Shrine (+3% XP)
* Large guild chest (50 slots for items) OR
* Altar of invasion (possible to craft tier 1 greensteel items)

Last edited:
I know you've got greensteel on the brain these days, but the guild chest is FAR more useful to all of us than a crafting altar that half the guild can't use and another quarter probably won't use.

True enough. I had forgotten to write OR between them so we can discuss what we need.

I haven't seen much use for the guild chest actually. I placed many items there earlier and just saw they remain there with no items removed or added. It's possible this has changed with all the new guild members arriving.

I haven't played for about a week but almost everything I saw in the guild chest had too high of a level requirement for me as of now. I did see things that would be useful later on though like the equipment that had charisma (mine is currentlty too low) which could help a lot.

I too believe the chest is FAR more useful than a crafting shrine. I have no intention of doing any crafting; it's just not my thing!!

I placed many items there earlier and just saw they remain there with no items removed or added.

In my case, I can say that I don't take many items out of it just because the items are too many levels over my hero's level.

To be more analytic, I'd say that there would be a better mixture of levels a bit better. It would provide an imho better flow of items if there were items for everyone in there, not just for higher levels.

I've already seen a few level 5-6 items there which I might take one day - but 'm still at the very beginning of level 4.

I haven't played for about a week but almost everything I saw in the guild chest had too high of a level requirement for me as of now. I did see things that would be useful later on though like the equipment that had charisma (mine is currentlty too low) which could help a lot.

About the same here.

2 noob's questions :

- What use has the bank, actually ?
- Are there many charisma checks for non-magical characters ? I think I remember charisma being mandatory for some kinds of spel-casters, becvause they get CHA cecks for casting spells - but I don't remember too many CHA checks for everyone else so far …

B the way, I developed a custom to check all shrines before going into a quest … :lol:

My last time was doing Irestone Inlet with actually managing of "cleaning" 3-4 camps with having less then 20 health points ! :lol: I think I did the last ones even with less then 10 ! :lol: - I did so using the bow, of course. ;)

Somewhere I once found a small "healing" staff which I often use when my healing potions have run out, as some sort of "hralth backup".

This leads me to my next question : How to I recharge items ? Or do so automaically over days ?

- What use has the bank, actually ?
You can put items in your bank to save them without having to waste inventory slots on them. Additionally, if you have more than one character, the bank allows you to pass items among them.
- Are there many charisma checks for non-magical characters ? I think I remember charisma being mandatory for some kinds of spel-casters, becvause they get CHA cecks for casting spells - but I don't remember too many CHA checks for everyone else so far …
Paladins, clerics, sorcerors, bards, maybe favored souls. For the rest, it's a dump stat.
This leads me to my next question : How to I recharge items ? Or do so automaically over days ?
Items with uses (3/day, for example) recharge when you rest, spend some amount of time in a tavern, or go offline. Items with charges (35/50 on a wand, for example) cannot be recharged. They disappear once the last charge is used.

Ah, thanks ! :)

We have 2 members working up their crafting skills and the stuff I have seen people make is right up there with the green steel once they get high enough. The chest is not only for newbies but for them to get items to decon in their training. The teir one altar is not hard to get to. I made a solo run there with a cleric heirlings on both 18's. (Can't get too much farther in solo but.....) I think the majority of members need the chest more. The rest of the items seem fairly sorted, unless there is something that would boost a casters abilities in some why.

Our new members should feel free to grab any nice item and save it for when you get higher. If your bank space is low, roll up a mule character who you don't play nor add to guild, but just use as storage space. All your characters can share the main bank even if not in the guild.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know much about the bank so far.
I'm running the update right now, by the way.
Edit : Finished just seconds ago !

The tier 1 altar (Altar of invasion) is available in the Shroud part 1 and guildships.
The tier 2 altar (Altar of subjugation) is available in the Shroud part 3, Amrath wilderness and guildships.
The tiler 3 altar (Altar of devastation) is available in the Shroud part 5 and guildships (high level guilds only).

So the altar that CM visited was the tier 2 altar

What we runnin' tonight? If we get all hands on deck, I say we do a Shroud run. I'm flagged for all these damn raids, but I won't do my rookie runs with 100% strangers so I'm kinda stuck.

Uh, I'd like to do something as well, but I feel so ... empty right now, after having a 4-hours-"walk" ... getting lost included ...

But I think I'll at least look into what's going on in Khyber today or tonight. ;)

Remember I won't be there today. I'm off to a seminar in a few mins.

Nevermind, as the current stuff stayed put anyway. :p

I just read that Paladin Holy Swords (from the level 4 spell) can be used to charge energy cells in the Shroud. Good to know if it's true, and if they ever fix the Shroud so it's runnable.

Last edited:
Uh … WOW ! O_O The new ship looks … gorgeous ! O_O

The only small drawback is that getting blessings from all shrines in it involves more running … ;)

And I personally believe that the fire & acid resistance shrines are a really good investment ! :)

That's if you can find them!! :) I got lost twice, but that's not unusual for me.

Back
Top Bottom