Konung 2 - A Hidden Gem?

Also, the questing is pretty basic. Don't expect much in the way of choices with consequences. Occasionally you'll have a choice to make, but it's not epic by any means.

The lure of this game seems to be the "Just One More Turn" mentality. No, it's not turn-based, but it makes you feel like you want to go just a little bit further to equip that next item, or visit that merchant again, or see what the smith in another village is selling. You just want to see what's in that next village, or what kind of treasure you can unearth in this map, etc. Great stuff!

I decided to write up a few tips for newcomers, if any of you are playing it or decide to play it in the future. Here goes…

1. First, there is a well-written FAQ over on Gamefaqs you should read about the game. A lot of what is in it is good information, but some you will discover for yourself and may have a different opinion about, so don't take it TOO literally, but it's a good tool and highly recommended.

2. Second, read the manual! Seriously, the manual is very important and will give you a better grasp on what is happening in the game.

3. Buy Copper Mirrors whenever you find them. They are somewhat rare and invaluable to treasure hunting.

4. Buy Elixirs of Wisdom and Apples of Knowledge when you find them. Again, these are rare items and the bonus XP is a necessity for lower-leveled characters.

5. Buy magic stones when you see them, and make sure you have a character who has a good Magic skill before attempting to enchant things (a low Magic skill means poor enchantments! And don't eat Apples of Knowledge with a character who has a low Magic skill!).

6. Keep at least one healer, if not 2 in your party at all times.

7. Keep one smith in your party at all times.

8. Don't be afraid to leave behind a character to help a village. I find that a warrior of decent level could be left behind to train the villagers so they can defend themselves from attack.

9. Make sure a town has a suitable smith to make weapons for the villagers. You may have to leave your one smith behind in order to accomplish this, but you can always train someone else later.

10. Buy Pure Teardrops and Torches whenever possible. These are invaluable to treasure hunting.

11. Keep a good alchemist around in your party, OR leave them in a village to make potions. Their potions will come in handy and you can always mix some potions while they are in your party and then leave them behind later.

12. Speaking of leaving characters in villages, you can always pick them back up again if you require their services.

13. Make frequent saves! You never know when a random hunting party will appear next to your new village and destroy it.

14. Invest in the Pathfinding skill to avoid random encounters in the wilderness.

15. When fighting a tough group, rush your party in and surround an enemy or two. When they start to surround you, pull your party back out and get new positioning. Use this technique until your characters need healing. Heal them, and if you can't heal them, pull the whole party out and leave the map. The enemies will not follow and you'll have time to collect yourself, while the damage you did to the enemy group will still be there when you come back!

16. You can avoid having to put too many points in Vitality for your main character, IF you use magical armor stones to enhance your current armor level.

17. Keep a few ranged characters in your party, they are very helpful.

18. The harder the map, the better the hidden loot, so save a Copper Mirror or 2 for a higher level area.

19. If you're not sure what to do next, try talking to your party members and asking for advice. Once in awhile their advice will let you know what you need to do next.

20. Charisma is very important for the main character, so make sure to invest a suitable amount of points per level in it.

21. The shovel/spade is not useless! If you see a skeleton on the ground, dig near it! Chances are you will find a treasure. Also, you can dig around anything that looks suspicious and you might find some loot without using a copper mirror.

That's it for now, if I think of more I'll add them!

Last edited:
I'm confused, are you playing Konung 2 or 3, Fluent?

I was looking at some reviews and they're not as praising as you are...

I'm confused, are you playing Konung 2 or 3, Fluent?

I was looking at some reviews and they're not as praising as you are…

I'm playing Konung 2.

I don't really care what the reviews say, I think this is a good game. It's not perfect, but it's fun.

As I said before, I don't think the first impression of the game is that good, and it takes a lot of patience and some hours for the game to really "kick in", so I think many probably gave up before that and wrote it off as some terrible game when it's really not.

Let's put it this way. If you don't read the manual, don't read the Gamefaqs FAQ, pick up the game for 30 minutes expecting the next Baldur's Gate - you will think it's a terrible game. However, if you read the manual, read the FAQ, take your time and put a bunch of time into it, you will find that it's a good game. It's really that simple.

Alright, your passion has convinced me. I'll grab it -- oi, my poor backlog -- and might give it a spin at some point.
You'd recommend 3 over 2?

Alright, your passion has convinced me. I'll grab it — oi, my poor backlog — and might give it a spin at some point.
You'd recommend 3 over 2?

I haven't played 3 yet, only played 2. Konung 3 has more modern 3D graphics, and 2 is more isometric. Not sure how they compare in gameplay, but I'd start with 2 (or even 1) if I were you.

Sadly, to play the original Konung game, you need a boxed copy. I just picked one up off Ebay in excellent condition for $5.

As I said, it's not perfect. It's not Baldur's Gate, it's not Divine Divinity, it's its own thing. I definitely think it's worthy of any RPG/sim fan's time, if you can get over the slow start and general laid-back pace of the game.

Once you start picking up party members, upgrading your gear, finding hidden treasures, completing quests, actually being able to kill things and level up, it starts to get really addictive. It just takes awhile to get to that stuff because you start off very weak. You can't even kill a level 1 skeleton yet! But you will, and it will be very satisfying when you do.

Somehow, someway I think I have Konung 1 in a closet stashed away. I read all the cruddy reviews also about 2 and 3 and got scared away. Fluent, are any of the other games any good because I was thinking of paying more and getting Konung 3 as well. Other than Perimeter, I'm not sure I would have any interest in the others.

Somehow, someway I think I have Konung 1 in a closet stashed away. I read all the cruddy reviews also about 2 and 3 and got scared away. Fluent, are any of the other games any good because I was thinking of paying more and getting Konung 3 as well. Other than Perimeter, I'm not sure I would have any interest in the others.

Sweet Lily Dreams is supposed to be good, if you're into RPG Maker-styled RPGs. It's got a bit of a horror theme and seems pretty unique.

If you do buy the bundle and don't want Sweet Lily Dreams, I would take it off your hands :).

But honestly, I'm not sure about the other games there. You can always start up a SteamTrades account and trade the games for games you do want. That's what I do.

Ok I will look it over and thanks for the info about SteamTrades. I will get back to you

Fluent I sent you a pm

well i am playing this game and got stuck , hope somebody can help. i got stuck in sea camp with helga, i run all over the island, defeat the ruler 's soldier but can not get on the ship to sail, what am i supposed to do ???

well i am playing this game and got stuck , hope somebody can help. i got stuck in sea camp with helga, i run all over the island, defeat the ruler 's soldier but can not get on the ship to sail, what am i supposed to do ???

Sorry, I don't remember. And sadly, finding information about this game is very difficult as it seems not many people have even heard of it, let alone played it.

Fluent did you ever get to play Konung 1?

Nope, but I do have a boxed copy of it. Installed it on Windows 7 - 64 bit before I upgraded to Windows 10, and surprisingly it started up and seemed to run fine. It looks like another real gem but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

These games are very unique and worth checking out. I really enjoyed my time with Konung 2.

Back
Top Bottom