Torment: Tides of Numenera - Update #16, Final Hours

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the final hours of the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Brian Fargo thanks the backers and invites us to the party.
And here we all stand setting history with the crowdfunding campaign for Torment: Tides of Numenera. We often speak of paradigm shifts and game changers in our industry but you are truly witnessing it in this groundbreaking new model of connecting creators with the players. You have all heard me speak to this new power, but truly it will shape the kinds of games you play and the policies of the developers and publishers. More than ever we are in sync with the simple goal of making games without ever losing the gamer’s interests. At Interplay our slogan was By Gamers, For Gamers and this attitude could not be truer today.
There is no way this game would have ever been funded without this new method of connection and without the passion of our backers who didn’t just donate but worked as a team to spread the word. You guys rock! The passion of the RPG gamer is like none other.
We are both humbled and excited that you have given us this opportunity. The team we have assembled is pretty unbelievable and I have full faith that together we will create a true classic. I never stopped working to get Chris Avellone aboard to make sure we had the band back together. But it only got better when we brought on guys like Pat Rothfuss and Kevin Saunders to take the game to new heights. The trick is always to surround ones self with brilliant people and to create an environment in which creativity can flourish.
I want to give a special shout-out to my wife Ashley for driving her insane by talking incessantly about Kickstarter, Wasteland 2 and Torment for 24 hours a day. I’d also like to thank super fan Steven Dengler who stepped up to match my dollar contribution. The world would be a better place with more Steven Denglers.
Our communication does not stop here. As you’ve seen, we do have our own creative vision for this game but it will be our regular contact with you that helps us hone in on the right aspects of it all. With this great crowdfunding success comes great responsibility and we could not take it more seriously. My confidence in delivering a classic you will love comes from this open dialogue.
As you may know we have a closing party today in which we will celebrate the success we’ve had with this campaign and countdown to the final minutes of closing. We are of course ecstatic at our current funding but we are a competitive bunch and would love to beat the total funding record that our dear friends at Obsidian currently hold. We thought it only natural to invite any backers of the game and at last count we had 100 of you RSVP that you are attending. I look forward to meeting you. And for those that cannot attend, you will be able to join us virtually at this link starting at 2:30 PDT:
http://www.twitch.tv/inxile_entertainment
And before I end my writing let me share one more incredible concept piece from Nils Hamm that showcases the male player of Torment: Tides of Numenera.
fPGaBP0.jpg

Once again I would like to thank you for making it possible for me and all my team at inXile to spend many more years creating the best RPGs we can.
More information.

Looks like they hit 4 million, here's hoping they meet the next stretch goal! I am so stoked about this game, it sounds like it is going to be un-freakin-believable! Most promising kickstarter RPG of all!

Not a fan of the male player, dunno if customization is possible (normally I don't care) but if this is what the character will look like I'd like a way to tweak him.

You can't say he doesn't look sexy. :p

Anyways… I'll miss that stronghold...

Boy, that concept art is pretty underwhelming. The posing of all the different actors looks off somehow, and the dog-things seem to be more part of the backdrop than moving creatures.

Boy, that concept art is pretty underwhelming. The posing of all the different actors looks off somehow, and the dog-things seem to be more part of the backdrop than moving creatures.

I haven't been blown away by the Nils Hamm concept art, but it's a matter of personal taste I suppose. The beaked hounds look very medieval/Dante's Inferno. Or maybe they're a reference to Aeschylus?

Last edited:
45 minutes to go and the funding is going through the roof. 4.1 million now.

Odd, they are listing the 4.25 million goal as achieved?? Does that include 10% personal match from Brian Fargo?

45 minutes to go and the funding is going through the roof. 4.1 million now.

Odd, they are listing the 4.25 million goal as achieved?? Does that include 10% personal match from Brian Fargo?

They don't count paypal donations and other donations on kickstarter. Obsidian's project Eternity was the same. It gets confusing.

They just said on the live feed that they made the 4.5 stretch goal.

Kickstarter is done. 74,393 backers gave $4,188,358.

Now I wonder how much it will sell when it actually comes out?

They just said on the live feed that they made the 4.5 stretch goal.

I'd love to see them confirm this on the Kickstarter page; rather than leave everyone hanging.

I'm afraid I mis-heard or they misspoke. They mentioned the 4.5 number in conjunction with the 4.25 stretch goals, so it could have been a combination of both.

Fargo announced after the Kickstarter had closed that they raised 4.3 between KS and PayPal, so I think I was wrong about the 4.5 number. I'm not sure what impact further contributions on PP will have on the project, or if that's still possible (although the PayPal page doesn't seem to be closed.)

They are (rightly) celebrating their accomplishment atm, so it might be awhile before we get solid numbers.

That does deserve a champagne party, although it'll be pure torment in the morning. ;)

Well, as I have mentioned in another thread, if they added the "matching" 200K to the total, they would just hit the 4.5M stretch goal. So, let's hope they do some accurate accounting.

Well, as I have mentioned in another thread, if they added the "matching" 200K to the total, they would just hit the 4.5M stretch goal. So, let's hope they do some accurate accounting.

Not sure what you're trying to imply here, but they've said all along that the 200k doesn't count towards stretch goals. Consider the stretch goals as having already factored that money in. All the money is going towards the development of the game, that's what is important here.

Back
Top Bottom