Dungeons - Gameplay Trailer

I want this game NOW!!!

Look at those lovely screens. Reminds me so much of Dungeon Keeper. I don't care if they have monsters only at the spawn points, I have got to give this one a try when it comes out.

Dungeon Keeper 2 I played a great deal. Sooo much fun.
From the details I've heard, this one is quite different.

Sure it was a fun game. Didn't play it for too long. IIRC it was much better PvP than PvE. Kalypso is a good developer. I think the question to ask is if they will do much to expand the game over the original DK games or is it going to be more of a modern remake.

(…)From the details I've heard, this one is quite different.

From what I've heard and seen, it looks more like Evil Genius meets Dungeon Keeper than a spiritual successor to the latter.

(…)Kalypso is a good developer. I think the question to ask is if they will do much to expand the game over the original DK games or is it going to be more of a modern remake.

Actually, the game is being developed by Realmforge Studios, who recently tried with M.U.D. TV the same thing with, as MAD TV remake/spiritual successor. Truth be told, it didn't live up to the original one and I just hope they learned from their mistakes there and are able to pull this one off.

Actually, the game is being developed by Realmforge Studios, who recently tried with M.U.D. TV the same thing with, as MAD TV remake/spiritual successor. Truth be told, it didn't live up to the original one and I just hope they learned from their mistakes there and are able to pull this one off.

Very good to know! Thank you. Fingers crossed.

Do people really remember Dungeon Keeper fondly? I remember being terribly disappointed in that it not only didn't match anything like what they said it was going to be it wasn't even a good game for what it did.

Fully agree. It was neat/cute for a very short while but then got boring extremely fast. I will readily admit that I'm not exactly a pro at strategy games but there was just about no challenge in Dungeon Keeper as far as I can remember. You just kept on expanding that dungeon and on cranking out imps and units and at one point it got really chaotic because the dungeon became huge but there was never even the hint of a threat from any of the adventurers/parties that entered the dungeon. You just won every map or level due to sheer numbers. That's what made it pretty lame and boring in the end. There was (almost) no strategy or tactics involved in winning the game.
Never played Dungeon Keeper 2 though because IIRC the reviews said it was more like an expansion than a sequel and if there was one thing I did not need then it was more of the same boring crap.

I liked the DK games a lot so I'm looking forward to this one. DK did have heroes coming in (or would pit you against other keepers) but I think Dungeons is going to be more focused on them. Instead of trying to simply kill off the heroes, you need to show them a good time… THEN kill them off. };>

Keeper Samhain, my rats couldn't agree more. They're sharpening their claws, summoning horny and the Dark Mistresses are oiling the hinges on the rack. We'll teach these heathens the true meaning of the word pain.

I think I hear Horny coming now and he's not amused:

picture.php

Edit: While searching around for a pic for Horny, I came across this:

Dungeon Keeper MMO

RPS article on it from about 2 years ago

Almost no information on it or info that is really old, but I would actually buy this IF it is done right. A land where keepers square off against other keepers sounds like a lot of fun.

Two things are worrisome though. First it's being made by a Chinese developer. While I have liked some games developed by Chinese companies in the past, the majority of them are trash or it gets a horrible translation, Prince of Qin being a prime example of that. Great game, horrible translation.

The second thing is what RPS mentioned, China will be the target audience and what they like and what I like are normally two separate entities.

I'll definitely keep my eye on this in the future because a DK MMO actually does sound like fun if I can build dungeons and square off against other keepers.

Last edited:
I loved the original Dungeon Keeper, but I didn't like DK2 that much.

Do people really remember Dungeon Keeper fondly? I remember being terribly disappointed in that it not only didn't match anything like what they said it was going to be it wasn't even a good game for what it did.

Of course they do. DK1 and DK2 were great games. Your anecdotal scenario of disappointment was probably not unique as people spend ages trashing the most wonderful things, but I cannot relate to it.

Dungeon Keeper was great.

But don't expect Dungeons to become a DK remake. It has a different focus.

I must acknowledge that no-one has had the idea of doing a dungeon like hat before.
I mean in the original "Dungeon Keeper" game.

OK, *why* was DK "great"?

Build your own dungeons any way you want, post traps around that dungeon, torture your prisoners, YOU'RE EVIL!!! ;), send your minions out to destroy other keepers/goody two shoes heroes.

I was making dungeons with miniatures using plaster of paris for the walls and floors way before DK was even a thought in some developers mind. I bought the molds from a company I found in the back of Dragon magazine. DK let me make those dungeons on the computer.

The best thing about this was that my dungeons were alive with creatures. Sure, I could fill my miniature dungeons with metal miniatures, but they don't move :) Here you had your evil wizards learning new spells, trolls making items for your dungeon, dark mistresses torturing your prisoners and a temple for summoning all the while heroes ventured in to destroy you or other keepers were out for your land. I would carefully plan out my traps and make corridors of death for any would-be heroes. Not to mention the spells where you could take control of your minions. I loved possessing a fly and buzzing around the environment looking for any heroes or keepers. When you possessed the fly they had the screen look like you were seeing the world through the compound eyes of the fly. It's superficial, but a nice touch.

In short that is why I love Dungeon Keeper. It had a few flaws in it like in the later levels I couldn't plan out my dungeons the way I wished because resources were limited, but overall it was great. It is one of the 'always installed' games on any computer I buy. I actually got DK 2 working on this Windows 7 64 computer which was surprising since the game is so old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom