Gothic 3 Console Will Not Display?

Is the CapsLock deactivated?

Have just managed to get a working console in 1.12 by:-

1) changing "testmode" to "true" in g3.ini
2) changing "DisplayOnScreen" to "true" in debug.ini
3) adding " _compiledImage" folder to data folder
4) adding "_Intern" folder inside new "_compiledImage" folder

To enter console mode, I use key on top left of keyboard directly under ESC.....this could differ depending on kb settings.

I gather you have already done steps 1,3 and 4. Maybe step 2 makes all the difference???

I just tried changing the debug.ini "DisplayOnScreen" to true, (in conjunction with steps 1, 3, 4) and it doesn't seem to be having an effect.

It was a good sugestion though. I had high hopes after reading your post and making the change to the debug.ini...oh well.

thanks anyway.

sorry to hear that didn't help! It certainly did for me....all I had seen previously was a black screen - the commands worked - but that didn't help much as I couldn't see what I was typing.

What exactly are you seeing when you call up the console? Are you getting the console display or does it just show an unaltered game screen?

PM on way - or will be soon!!

Last edited:
Nothing is happening when I call up the console. When I hit the tiled key, literally NOTHING happens. Not a studder on screen or a graphical change to be noted.....nothing.

Well, if you aren't even getting the black unreadable mess that many people get when activating the console I suppose a keyboard problem....either through layout, or maybe malfunction, seems a possible culprit.

My keyboard system is a bit of a hybrid..UK board layout but running under XP as US! Hitting `( unshifted~) gets me into console OK.

Re PM. Agree that reinstall + all patches does seem like overkill but I did it. As a result I've ended up with a game that (subjectively) feels smoother and for the first time, a useable console.

Didn't realise that the console was so useful, not only can you correct quest glitches, but using " goto " instead of those damned transporter stones, gives a faster and less crash-prone response.

Hope Aspyr soon comes up with an answer for you.

Well guys, it looks like I've exhausted all avenues trying to resolve this issue and its time to give up on it for now. I'll come back to it if/when I decide to resplay with a fresh game.

Thanks to everyone here that took the time to try and help me, it really is appreciated. I love this site.

thanks again.

no problem bro' hope you will be able to make the console running one day:(

Hey, Courage mon brave!! Don't give up now!

Did you try the reinstall + all patches solution which somehow worked for me? Your saves will be OK... provided you've kept a copy of your Gothic 3 file from Documents and Settings.

Shame if all the effort you've put into solving the problem goes to waste!!!

Could someone post me a link to site that has all the patches?...thinking about trying again this time with all patches.

o well. hey guys are u still living _?_
wooow 4 or 5 years ago. it is too long .when ı m 16 maybe
but now ı have the same problem. did you solve them
hey did u fnish the game my friend::D
anyway ı cant open console …please help me
ı hav e same problem today my version 1.12

I remember having same problem with games based on Oblivion's engine so I did the same you have to do with these games (to enable the console) and it worked :D
Open the Device Manager in your Windows Control Panel. Find the list called "Human Interface Devices" and uninstall a CIR Receiver (don't worry, Windows will install it after you reboot your computer).
After I did this, the console worked in marvin-mode.

The problem actually is that the console only opens if you press TILDE (~), but for some users if you press the button to left from 1, below ESC you get an apostrophe-like symbol ' but if you press SHIFT + that button you get TILDE (~). Solution is simple. Download Microsoft keyboard layout creator and create a new keyboard setting based on your current one, but only change one button - that the TILDE key actually shows the correct symbol (~) without having to press SHIFT. After this you will be able to open console in Gothic 3 after either editing the ini file to have testmode=true or typing marvin really fast.

Well hello from 2022, i solved this problem (if other solution dont work i think they actualy dont work) i solve this is very easy. Have same problem all stuf dosent work(this things with keyboard and ~ to) and i start think and yes its win 10 problem with administrator rights(i start began to suspect when i change ini files and and the system began to require admin rights to save the file) and yes what you need to do.
1)Change ini file (yo know this all standart stuff for console in ge3.ini) remind you, go to game folder->ini-ge3.ini change testmode from false to true yeah this stuff
2) in debug.ini in same directory change DisplayOnScreen=false on DisplayOnScreen=true
3) and now our solution *drumroll* yeah just start you game with admin rights cause if you dont run with admin right win 10 themself dont aprove you doing system stuff in gothic yeah its cause you gamefolder in common, placed in protect folder(in win 10 all folder admin-protected btw:D) yeah its strange but i think it cause game when we activate console trying use some files in her directory witch one protected win 10 admin rights and if we dont run this in admin mode we dont have right to do stuff in game cause game trying.... i dont know maybe send some comands her files in protected folder btw if we run game in admin mode(on screen you can see how it doing look in cursor place, its what you need press) all will be ok and console work. From Russia with love im specialy register here for write this message for all g3 enjoyers which one have this problem. Have fun^^)
TZFUicHENG0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom