Huawei ban

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
https://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-faces-another-huge-blow-arm-cuts-ties-chinese-brand
Huawei faces another huge blow as ARM cuts ties with the Chinese brand
ARM technology is at the foundation of Huawei's Kirin chipsets.

Google pulling its Android license is undoubtedly going to hurt Huawei, but it doesn't prevent Huawei from making a phone altogether. In fact, all Huawei phones sold in China do not have any Google services installed, and the Chinese manufacturer is set to roll out its own alternative to Android sometime later this year.
However, that will not be possible if Huawei loses ARM as a partner. The move will effectively kill Huawei's smartphone business altogether, as it just does not have the know-how to design its own processors. Even Samsung — which has its own foundry — relies heavily on ARM for processor designs. Huawei is said to be working on the successor to the Kirin 980 — dubbed the Kirin 985 — but it's unlikely if work will proceed without ARM's signoff.
What am I trying to say here. I don't use Huawei phone nor planned to, but this move can easily backfire.
The fact is every single phone manufacturer relies on ARM. And to this day, noone expected something like this is even possible. ARM showing a middlefinger to someone just because.
In other words, any company in phones businees can suffer on any Trump's whim.

Will Huawei die off after this? Who knows and in fact it doesn't even matter. Instead, I'm expecting phone manufacturers forming their own processors manufacturer as even with expensive development it's less risky than doing business with companies where CEO is de facto Trump. I'm saying this will most probably result in everyone and their mother cutting ties with ARM which will then die off itself due to, not sure how to call it. "racism" maybe? :)

Your thoughts?

I don't know the details, but totally agree with Joxer's comments.

It is strange that ARM don't want business with one of the largest growing phone manufacturers - due to political reasons!

If this is the case I hope it will backfire on them and for the industry to find alternatives and stop this monopoly.

Two trains of thought.
If there is a security risk, then people just have to deal with the decision.
If there isnt, then its just part of the political game played between nations and the only reason the general public is aware is because it affects their toys.

On one hand, everyone "socially" bitches about corporate overlords, corporations having too much power, corporations controlling governments blah blah. Varying degrees of accuracy. Ironically all the identical complaints people make about governments.

Then on the other hand when any government interferes with a corporation that provides the general public with toys or entertainment, people lose their mind.

Its a fine line when people demand the right to make terrible decisions, then flip at the slightest sign of impact and cry for protection. Governments have a difficult task of making hard decisions.

Give everyone everything they want all the time, and you end up with Greece style governents. Broke, ineffective, puppet government to anyone they can get cash from, corrupt as anything.

What people. What government. What corporation. What protection.

The situation is the following: the US government passed a decree through the arm of a US global corporation to effect a global ban.

The US government is elected by the US People.

The US government is known to spy on other people on a global scale and this decree does not protect people from being spied on by the US government.

Your thoughts?

Not so long ago, the point was made that the US and China were at odds, that the US did not want China to climb the power ladder.

The point was dismissed.

The thought is what about that dismissal.

What people. What government. What corporation. What protection.

The situation is the following: the US government passed a decree through the arm of a US global corporation to effect a global ban.

The US government is elected by the US People.

The US government is known to spy on other people on a global scale and this decree does not protect people from being spied on by the US government.

ARM isn't even American....

My comments were referring to any government or any corporation that sees a security risk (or no risk, as the case may be).

Not so long ago, the point was made that the US and China were at odds, that the US did not want China to climb the power ladder.

The point was dismissed.

The thought is what about that dismissal.

Any county worth a damn, and several that aren't, have to deal with China. Its not about a power ladder, its about a complete monopoly. All countries are against monopolies on paper, but very few agree on practice.

The fact that ARM can't even get ARM China to agree should tell you that there is deeper issues than some "middle finger of Trump". I mean it's chill if you think he's that powerful and all, but really?

My first thought is good, maybe the Epic game store will be taken down next. (because of Chinese ownership) :devilish:

So, I guess the Chinese are finding out the USA still has some muscle after all. That is my second take, lol. :p (I'm not exactly broken up about this, heh)

Any county worth a damn, and several that aren't, have to deal with China. Its not about a power ladder, its about a complete monopoly. All countries are against monopolies on paper, but very few agree on practice.

The fact that ARM can't even get ARM China to agree should tell you that there is deeper issues than some "middle finger of Trump". I mean it's chill if you think he's that powerful and all, but really?

Yep, the arm is not us american, it is zimbabwean. And Zimbabwe is owned by China so the arm is chinese.

The situation: the US, by force of decree, forces a global ban through a global monopoly situation achieved by a US corporation.

What people. What government. What corporation.

World government and stuff. DJT, servant to the US People, harping against globalization, harping against world government etc

So, I guess the Chinese are finding out the USA still has some muscle after all. That is my second take, lol. :p (I'm not exactly broken up about this, heh)
Yep, world government and stuff...

The whole thing sound arbitrary. Why Huawei and not Lenovo or other Chinese manufacturer of phones, PCs, telecom equipment and what ever else can be used for spying.
Because of singling out a single manufacturer this to me comes across as someone wanting to pretend to be strong and powerful, but actually being incapable of taking the real actions that would be needed to prevent any potential spying by China.
Probably once China and the USA hug and kiss again, a statement will be released that Huawei is a friend of the USA.

I guess we will agree to disagree.
Trumps "global decree" as you state, should only impact USA. Every other country is free to make up their own mind. They are choosing not to. And don't pull the "they are afraid of USA" card. Nobody else has a problem disagreeing with any other facet of US administration. They arent changing that over this event.

How. The global decree relies on a global monopoly.

Making their mind about the existence of the monopoly, how.

When the how is revealed, maybe time to consider that afraid thing. Until that point, it will be easy to state stuff they chose to.

Slaves too chose to stay on the plantations in the US. They were free to leave. They simply did not choose. It has nothing to do with not knowing the how.

Slaves too chose to stay on the plantations in the US. They were free to leave. They simply did not choose. It has nothing to do with not knowing the how.
I didn't open the topic on slavery nor revisionism, but according to you, wiki is wrong so please delete this someone's article from wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_catcher

Please keep concentrated on phone (or 5G) "war".
A sort of an update, and another wikipedia article, Huawei does have an alternative if the current ban stays:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson
As you can spot on supported software paragraph, it seems (any) OS won't be a problem.

The referencing to slavery is fully topical.

Centuries ago, when UK was a global power that tried to curb the rise in power of the US, they chose to attempt a global ban on slavery. The UK had a monopoly on the seas and took that path to try and enforce a slavery ban by attacking slaver ships.

No PCness in those times, they admitted that slave labour was central to the US, that the US power would grow on slave labour, and that making it harder for the US to rely on slave labour would slow down their rise in power.

Current days: the US are trying to curb the rise in power of China by hitting on phone technology, networks and stuff.

What a deep change: from a power built on slave labour to a power built on technological advancement.
Fully topical in order to measure the difference in nature between China and the US.

As to the slave catcher thing, the US has a history in manhunting as long as the US own history. Man hunting has been there from the start and never ceased.

A slave catcher is an extension of a plantation. To escape a plantation, a slave must know how to evade slave catchers.

A slave catcher is an extension of a plantation. To escape a plantation, a slave must know how to evade slave catchers.

By that logic, every prisoner is free. They just have to know how to leave prison.

That is the point.
Slaves, like prisoners like other countries striken by the global ban through US decree have just decided not to.

Coercion does not exist. It is just in the mind of those who think they are coerced.

The fact that ARM can't even get ARM China to agree

The article says ARM China has signed on, am I missing something?

I agree that treating this as a reflection of Trump's power as an individual is silly.

Coercion does not exist. It is just in the mind of those who think they are coerced.

I often enjoy your whimsical pronouncements. This one not so much.

Honestly, it makes you sound like an affluent California new-ager who is lucky enough to be able to "choose not to be coerced" and is arrogantly indifferent to the actual coercion experienced by their countrymen.

[ETA: oh dear, is this tech article discussion drifting P&R-ward?]

Of course there is nothing whimsical about dismissing the chain that has led to the post.

It would require to read the thread. And jumping in a thread without reading it is nothing like whimsical.

And nobody pointed out DJT's personal power. DJT is a servant to the US People, he is empowered by his master the US People and wields institutional power.

The rise of China threatens his master's welfare. The servant acts to please his master. Nothing personal in it.

Back
Top Bottom