FF XII: The Zodiac Age - Release: February 1st

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age will be available for the PC on February 1st:

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE - This revered classic returns, now fully remastered for the first time for PC, featuring all new and enhanced gameplay.

RETURN TO THE WORLD OF IVALICE
Enter an era of war within the world of Ivalice. The small kingdom of Dalmasca, conquered by the Archadian Empire, is left in ruin and uncertainty. Princess Ashe, the one and only heir to the throne, devotes herself to the resistance to liberate her country.

Vaan, a young man who lost his family in the war, dreams of flying freely in the skies. In a fight for freedom and fallen royalty, join these unlikely allies and their companions as they embark on a heroic adventure to free their homeland.

Players both returning and new to the game will be immersed in a grand adventure that spans the world of Ivalice in an entirely fresh and improved experience.

KEY FEATURES:

• New Zodiac Job system with improved battle mechanics.
  • Newly implemented trophies.
  • True 7.1 Surround sound including HD voicing and fully remastered music.
  • Choose between original in-game BGM, new re-orchestrated BGM and original soundtrack.
  • Endless adventure including hunts, battles and mini-games.
  • 60 FPS - Ivalice will look even more spectacular running at 60FPS
  • Compatible with 21:9 ultra wide monitors
  • New Game Plus and New Game Minus
  • Maximized License Points and Gil
  • Full controller support, Steam Trading Cards and more!
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

People sure seem to like it better now than when it was first released. The flaws are still the same, but I'd say that it's easier to appreciate since the previous entries no longer loom over it so much and the series pretty much only went downhill from here.

I'd say it'd be worth it to pull up a few YouTube videos to see what's up.

I enjoyed it when I played it through this summer. The original never really grabbed me as I didn't get on with the combat system, randomised loot tables and so on. It originally came out during the transition between PS2 and PS3 era, which didn't help either.

Played now, perhaps due to the lack of "big budget" console RPGs, and the prevalence of more action-y battles, I found it to be a lot of fun. Still hate the respawning chests and randomised contents though.

One big comment - it is NOT a grindy game (story, at least). Indeed, I rapidly over-levelled myself by grinding to tackle sidequests/hunts before I probably should have. This made the story content a bit easy during the first half, although it got tougher later. Overall it was one of the easier entries (I beat the two "toughy" bosses - Yiazmat and Hell Wyrm on first and second tries respectively).

Character progression was nice/interesting with the licence boards, and this new Job System version makes the characters properly unique. Allowing for two jobs per char also makes for some nice combinations. On the downside, you have to make job decisions FAR too early, without understanding enough about the game. Thank goodness for the internet for help!

Story was OK, but perhaps not brilliant. A bit disjointed as there were big stretches of map-traversal at various times which broke it up a bit too much. That said, when it got into its stride, it was rather impressive.

I only played the original. I liked the way I could program the party AI once it finally started letting me do so. I didn't like the story much. Finally, at least in the original, it was QUITE grindy. I would get through an area then have to wander back to the start then back through to the exit again in order to get enough xp to be ready for the next area. I got near the end of the game but didn't quite finish.

I played the original and was liking it ok (didn't care for the start of the Final Fantasy transition to action RPG) but stopped when I lost like 1.5 hours of progress when I found a boss without a save point that killed me. Played this new version a few months ago, fortunately it lets you save anywhere. It's good, turns out I was right in fearing this was just a sign of things to come back then.

Isn't that title just another MMO? Or I mixed it with FF11?

FF11 and FF14 are MMOs. FF12 was the FF that started moving away from turn based combat, it was sort of like Dragon Age 1 with the whole programming of companion actions (cast X spell when Y condition happens, etc).

It wasn't actually, the combat system felt like one, though. Never liked it beyond the top notch PS2 grafics.

Back
Top Bottom