Dungeons Of Aledorn - Leaving Team 21

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Team 21 and two devs of Dungeons Of Aledorn split up:

Announcement: Leaving Team 21

Greetings backers, friends and fans of Dungeons of Aledorn. I have some sad news. This is the last update I am writing on Kickstater. Me, Ladislav"Nefarit" Štojdl and our chief programmer Martin "Arbiter" Mikš have decided to leave Team21 due to long-term disagreements within the team.

What does it mean for Dungeons of Aledorn?
The biggest one is that the game will not be finished by Team21. The coding and game design are in good shape, but we will need to start over with the graphics, as all the purchased asets will remain in ownership of Team21. This is a is a large setback and will mean time delay. Kickstarter obligations remain with Team21, but if we manage to finish the game with Arbiter and new graphic designer, then we will still honor you, our dear backers. and will provide you with rewards like free game copies.

Due to copyright issues we will be renaming the game from "Dungeons of Aledorn" to just "Aledorn".
Fortunately the design and story are mine, so we will not have to make any changes there.

We do sincerely apologize to all of you, but it was a necessary step to take, if we wanted to keep moving forward. We are still negotiating and there still is a chance to strike a deal with Team21 that wll allow us to use the assets we purchased with your backing.

Best regards,
Nefarit
Game designer & project lead

Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

I still hope the game may see the light of the day.

I don't even remember the pitch, but I bought it at the time. Seems like a long time ago. Seems like we've been getting the same screenshots of empty enviornments as Kickstarter updates for about two years.

This one sounds officially sunk.

Yeah, I backed this....this sounds like it is now done....starting fresh with art assets will destroy them.

Yeah, this was the last game I ever backed on kickstarter. I've since decided other folks can back games and I'll just play them. At the rates games come out nowadays, I'll never run out of them as long as I live. For every indie game that reaches retail, there are about 10,000 that never even make it past early access. It's like buying a lottery ticket.

I was really surprised when I got this update earlier today. Then again, it's been in development quagmire for quite some time, so who knows if it will actually ever exist, or what form that may take.

Well, on a positive note: They actually made an update about it. Got a couple of games which are just on hiatus without any updates.

Majority of my backed KS projects is still doing fine though. I think KS is still a nice thing to have and I will also back stuff again.

One day I'll receive my dream game with first person exploration, and isometric top-down combat. :(

Not to derail the topic, but I'm leery of computer games via kick starter now, with many of them flocking to the Epic service, I've taken a break on sponsoring any new gaming projects. Other forms of kick starters I'll still consider.

I still hold hope for this game, but its not looking as realistic as it could have been :)

Also, how expensive could the assets be at this stage? Seriously?

Trainwreck. I might have said it in the beginning. BAD Art, Bad design, developerZ with Bad SkillZ coming together and thinking they are Jesus Christ.. to save the gaming genre?

Add one more to my investments that go down the toilet. Sui Generis, Bloom and now this. Same old story, some enthusiastic youngsters with lot of dreams found a company and doing a Kickstarter with unrealistic budget. Then economic reality comes in the way. It's more or less same with marriages. :D

Add one more to my investments that go down the toilet. Sui Generis, Bloom and now this. Same old story, some enthusiastic youngsters with lot of dreams found a company and doing a Kickstarter with unrealistic budget. Then economic reality comes in the way. It's more or less same with marriages. :D

Yes, the money runs out quick and the development stops..maybe the celebration parties never ended, etc.

Yes, the money runs out quick and the development stops..maybe the celebration parties never ended, etc.

Or they reach a problem they can't solve (for example the That Which Sleeps kickstarter I supported and will never be finished, where the developers could not get the A.I. to do the things they pitched it would be able to do.)

I completely understand the hurdles that teams can encounter after the kick starting is over, but I'm a proponent of cutting where you need to, anything to produce the content, even if a part or three aren't there. My advice would be simply to do what's necessary to complete the project, as producing nothing should be the most drastic measure of all.

They probably will drop some kind of shlock, like Sui Generis did, to avoid being sued.

Back
Top Bottom