The TV Series discussion thread

AHS:Cult another series in Bizarro world. All lead characters whose sexuality is known are gay except 1. There are no black men in the entire show and only 2 black women. Now granted the nature of the show is bizarre, but I'm really hoping the next season isn't AHS:Gaypocalypse!

I finished viewing the most recent series of True Detective, and I thought it was really good. The set-up and then quick diversion on what actually happened to Julie was well done, and gets good marks for plausibility. The acting was superb, especially the parents of the children, as well as the prosecutorial team. Well worth watching, in my opinion.

I'm also knocking out a complete re-watch of Game of Thrones. While I vastly prefer the books, the television show is also worth watching. Right now I'm about halfway through series three, not sure if I'll get all the way through before the newest series is upon us all.

AHS:Cult another series in Bizarro world. All lead characters whose sexuality is known are gay except 1. There are no black men in the entire show and only 2 black women. Now granted the nature of the show is bizarre, but I'm really hoping the next season isn't AHS:Gaypocalypse!
AHS is American Horror Story? If yes, count me out. I still have nightmares from several "american" films like American Ninja and sorry, but I'm not risking watching such stuff any more. I'm aware that adding "american" in the title sells stuff, but gimme a break already. Put "quality" or "tragic" instead so I know if it's worth watching.

On the topic of different sexuality on TV and movies, just a reminder that you should expect even more in 2019. It's exactly 100 years since the first gay movie ever Different From Others.
Just as with "american" in the title, here's hope that a sort of celebration won't be as boring and annoying as depicion of homosexuality so far on the tape - we, or at least me, need quality instead of quantity just because.
I'm also knocking out a complete re-watch of Game of Thrones. While I vastly prefer the books, the television show is also worth watching. Right now I'm about halfway through series three, not sure if I'll get all the way through before the newest series is upon us all.
This might be a good idea for me too… The question though is if HBO will make a sort of recap episode that'll cover all critical points of past seasons. I'm sure fans will, but fans usually put either too much of general irrelevance or ignore the best parts.

I highly doubt HBO would dilute the grand scale of the series like that. It isn't much of a time commitment, I'm just doing one episode per day, so the time constraint is fairly minimal. Sure, there are stories/threads that go absolutely no where, but one must perceive that in the time it is delivered to be fully cognizant of it. Most shows do much of the same, and that is a huge way in which the novels differ from the television series. What convinced me to go this route was to finally declare to myself that the telly show and books will likely be very different in the end, heck the show doesn't even have Strong, or Patches, or many other characters that I believe will turn out to be very instrumental in the end, but in the end the show must be its own entity, and that's how I'm treating it.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and we'll see a full recap show before the final series debuts. Time will tell!

Bad news for us who followed the guilty pleasure cheesyness:
https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1038021-into-the-badlands-and-the-son

Well i'm not surprised. Into badlands was disjointed and flawed in terms of writing, but the set pieces and fight choreography were incredible. I mean yeah, the series was for sure cheesy and it didn't make much sense if you started carefully analyzing plot structure or even the setting itself, but I was quite fond of all the crazyness that took place of that show. By the end of Season 1 my thinking was, "well, I don't know if this show is going anywhere interesting, but it's going there in style." I haven't yet seen the last season that aired but I will watch it no doubt on some raindy sunday and reminisce the crazy cast one more time.

brief then gotta run, busy day :(

Awesome! Can't wait. :)

Still hoping I can complete my full re-watch before the premiere date of the last season. If it gets close near the end I might have to increase to two episodes a night!

re: Game of Thrones

Tyrion and Brienne are the only characters I really care about. Everyone else can die. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but those two characters are the ones I most care about. And yes I am aware of what happened to one of them in the book.

I'm glad the show is finishing first, cause now Martin can see what works and what doesn't and adjust accordingly in the book. A rare opportunity.

I think those adjustments have been what has delayed Martin's book so much, this summer will mark eight years since the last one was released. To me they really hardly compare, the telly show is a pale copy of the magnificence that the novels convey, my fondest hope is that the ice beings stomp Westeros into oblivion, rebuild the land causeway that was shattered thousands of years ago and go on to walk right into the rest of the world.

Tyrion and Brienne are the only characters I really care about. Everyone else can die. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but those two characters are the ones I most care about. And yes I am aware of what happened to one of them in the book.

I think there are characters more interesting than them, although I do like Tyrion a lot.

The Hound was probably my favorite character last season.

Nah the TV series for me as I don't have the patience/time to read Martin's books. To clarify I don't like reading multiple POV's. I prefer a more tight story telling.

We also talked about how some of us doubt he will ever finish his books. I agree. Some other author will probably finish the books like Jordon's Wheel of Time series.

Don't forget HBO has a few other spin-offs & prequels in production. Early reports say it will be Robert's rebellion before he became King. Hope Dance of the Dragons is next.

The War of Conquest or Doom of Valyria would also make a good show.

Last edited:
Ehhh, for the prequel I'm hoping for the Long Night to be fully realized on the screen. Don't get me wrong, since the entire premise for Robert's rebellion was predicated on lies and outright deceit, I think it would make good television or film material, but people these days seem to want something to cheer for rather than actual truth. In the novels there are no real champions or villains, simply people trying to live their lives the best way they know how.

I give up on Umbrella Academy. While i like the theme, the characters/actors are quite poor apart from the kid which sticks out at least a bit, its a interesting enough character. The most boring villains i've seen in a show like this too. Too bad, has a really interesting setup, might even try the comic.

Watched 2.5 episodes of Bad Blood.. Super generic and way too few interesting characters, very black/white, simplistic and 100% predictable plot. You can tell its supposed to appeal to "the larger crowd" - the SoA fans and whatnot.

True Detective S3 was.. nice enough. Though it was hardly edge of your seat exciting, probably my least favorite season.

I watched the full first Season of The Sinner last weekend. I liked it so much that now I'm watching Season 2

Forgot… Almost…

Back in the day a certain new type of series of graphic novels hit the market, Hermann's Jeremiah. In post apoc world, two accidental acquaintances, one naive and stupid as brick another more silly than modern Hollywood movies yet practical, are trying to survive.
The work was witty, actioney and unbelievably detailed, here's an example (the blonde guy is Jeremiah):
RCO036.jpg

After cca 20 chapters, eventually the author didn't have more ideas and the comic lost it's momentum. Instead of wrapping it up, the author turned it into yet another milking machine with style over substance. Yes, it's still going on. If you can, and I bet you can, buy at least it's first few chapters (released worldwide as integrals each collecting 3-4 chapters). Chapters are standalone stories so don't worry if you skip the first integral and buy second.
Sadly, we don't have non-superhero comics thread and I refuse to offtopic much here. All that matters is that Jeremiah was an unique work of genius for a while and there is no comics fan who doesn't know about it or would say anything negative about it's early days.

Well Hollywood wouldn't be Hollywood if a masterpiece isn't turned into a silly cheap TV series. I wasn't aware it exists, I was just a comic bookworm when my brother told me he spotted some Jeremiah show with Luke Perry (RIP) on TV based on the comic. Oh and Jason Priestley was also in who played a villain. :)
Didn't expect much to be honest, those two came from Beverly Hills so I thought, oh well, it'll be some teen soap produced by at that time everpresent Aaron Spelling and adapted to TV by Richard and Esther Shapiro (Dynasty), starters of everything that sucked on TV back in the day because everyone wanted to copy their trash soap blueprint. But I liked both Perry and Priestley, they had some charm.
To my surprise, and uttermost disappointment, the TV show had only one thing from comics. Names.
Everything else was different but not in a good way, it was unbelievably bad. I mean okay, they "adapted" the comic. But the adaptation had nothing to do with the comic at all, on top of it was plain and pure junk. Can't believe even today that such unwatchable (have to add: politically correct!) trash got money to film the second season too.
No matter how Perry and Priestley tried, they couldn't save it.

Buy comics. First few integrals. Now please @Kordanor; . ;)
TV series? Pretend it never existed, if you can't then pretend you've never heard about it.
:)

Last edited:
Just finished watching all three short seasons of a Netflix cartoon show called F is for Family. Found it very entertaining especially the Non-PC Korean War veteran father.

Watched the first episode of After Life. I enjoyed it much more than expected. Really a pretty good first episode of a "dramedy", with a strong streak of dark humour.

Last edited:
Noted it on my list as potentially good, hopefully it's not standard Hollywood's humor I don't find funny.

Currently spending time with vastly unusual product, of course from Korea:
Circle: Two Connected Worlds

Circle_%28Korean_Drama%29-p1.jpg

As usual, description on imdb is pretty much silly and ridiculous, so I'll quote wiki:
In 2007, fraternal twin brothers, Kim Woo-jin and Kim Bum-gyun, along with their father, witness the arrival of an unidentified flying object: a lone female humanoid alien (Gong Seung-yeon) materializes from the object. Out of pity and curiosity, the family brings the alien with them and adopts her like a real member of the family. The twins become fond with her, especially Woo-jin who names her Byul
Yea well, this ain't the show really nor the series is "my stepmother is an alien 2". :D
That up there is first 5 minutes of the first episode.

The actual show, each episode, first half happens in 2017 and second half happens in 2037. Both halves, seemingly disconnected stories, follow these twins - in 2017 they're trying to reunite for whatever reason but series of suicides will lead them and a certain girl who "joins the party" to totally crazy stuff, in 2037 one of twins is missing and another is trying to find him where of course the girl from 2017 will happen to be around again.
The first mistery (okay, second) - the girl they get to uncover mysteries with is spitting image of the alien they saw while kids - but was it really an alien or just kids' imagination? And how come they stumbled upon the alien's "clone" a decade later, why are people suicidal and what happened with one of brothers in the future?

Most important to know prior to watching this:
- a part of storytelling is done in deliberately silly way to differ from Hollywood, still the show is rated 15+
- there are certain script/filming/editing errors that suggest lack of funds (example: the mob goes for cars to reach a destination and the next second they're already at the spot)

The show has enormous amount of twists and it's fresh design of exploring lives of certain people 20 years apart not only isn't confusing but adds even more tension - are these two mysteries connected?
In all honesty, I've finished 4th episode of them 12. Not a single minute I was bored, laughed like crazy on certain scenes, fallen in love with all the cast. I have no idea where this show will lead me into, all I know I'm returning to it right now.

Give it a shot, wherever you can find it (VIU with VPN most probabaly as DramaFever was shut down and amazon for some reason doesn't stream it any more although it's listed on prime).
Regardless of how many sci fi thillers went through your hands, I promise you've never seen something like this before.

More user reactions:
https://mydramalist.com/22671-circle

Back
Top Bottom