Last game you finished, tell us about it

Walking Dead: A New Frontier. Although it has been a long time since the first game, I think this one was my favorite. The story shows how survival depends not on fighting, but on tolerance and forgiveness. None of us are perfect, and people piss each other off all the time. If we are to survive though, it's by working together anyway, strength through acceptance, not just amidst the Walking Dead but in our everyday lives.

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

much better than the first one, everything is improved, especially the controls which are now normal, the disguise meter was a fantastic idea...onto the 3rd

Just "finished" Elex. "Finished" is in quotes because I abandoned the game in what I think is the final battle. PB did it again for me, in Risen 1 I played the whole game one way and then the final boss battle forced me to play another way (and that game I also abandoned at the final fight, having to watch the ending in Youtube just like this one). In Elex's case I played the whole game supporting my companion instead of being the killer myself, and yet in the final battle my companions basically decided to have a day at the beach while I fought for the future of the world, alone. Needless to say I had 0 chance.

Another thing I didn't like about the game is level-scaled-respawn-galore. For 95% of the game I never felt like I was any stronger, only in the last few hours I felt I was actually powerful and could kill most local fauna. But the other problem is that the world was too full of fauna. You couldn't walk 10 yards without some giant rats or boars or raptors or spiders attacking you, which by the way most of them could spit and kill me from 100 yards away.

Then there's the lack of progression. I decided to join the clerics, the first rank gave me a nice PSI weapon… which I ended up using for the rest of the game.

The world is big to explore and full of flowers to pick and cigarettes to loot, but other than that, the game just didn't do it for me. Guess I'm just not the target audience for PB games.

Hitman 4 Blood Money

Great game and best in the series (til the 4th), even better from i was remembering although the maps werent that big they felt big and they had many ways to complete the missions; and it was the first game i cared for 47, dont know why haha.....onto Absolution

Confused you said best game in series (till the 4th) but isn't this the 4th ?

Hitman 4 Blood Money

Great game and best in the series (til the 4th), even better from i was remembering although the maps werent that big they felt big and they had many ways to complete the missions; and it was the first game i cared for 47, dont know why haha…..onto Absolution

yes it is, sorry wanted to say from the first 4 games :D, im replaying absolution now after finishing it back in 2012 and gonna do the last one too :D, to see which is best after replaying all games in a row

Finished Shadowrun:Dragonfall earlier this week.

Holy shit did I enjoy the hell out of it. Returns has the better woven plot which evolves better, but that's no slate on Dragonfall because Return's plot is top notch. Dragonfall does everything else better though, and it's just immensely absorbing, atmospheric & enjoyable.

I went on to try & play Age of Decedance before Hong Kong, but I'm just craving more Shadowrun so have binned AOD for now, and off to Hong Kong I go.

Returns is the best story I played through so far this year hands down, and Dragonfall the best overall RPG this year too.

I finally finished Mass Effect 3. Bought it several years ago, but gave up part way in (I was a bit jaded after playing ME 1 and 2 so close together).
I found it enjoyable in parts, but overall… kinda meh. I don't regret playing it, but I don't see why people like it (or even the series as a whole) so much.

The cons for me:
  • There's only so much sub-par cover-shooting I can do. Seriously, does every mission have to devolve into that?
  • I hate dialog choices that result in your character saying something completely different from what you expected ("What? I thought I was going to say something complimentary. Fuck, now she hates me. Oh shit, now she's killed herself.").
  • Planet scanning gone from tedious to pointless. Just get rid of it, damn it.
  • Graphical presentation all over the place. (Seriously, some of the faces - especially the aliens - look great for their day, so it's odd how some of the faces I have to look at most often look like a creepy plastic manikin).
  • Fucking Bioware Points. Fuck those things right up the arse. There are a couple of story DLC I didn't bother getting because they required me buying $25 (NZ) of Bioware points each. If I wanted to play the inferior PS3 version I could get them for $6 each at times. (Yeah, given how deflated I felt after finishing the game, it was probably a good call not to buy them, regardless, but still…).

Anyway, umm, thanks for reading.

I actually think Bioware got lucky with the ending of ME3. Because it was so bad it created a distraction big enough to hide the fact that the game itself was largely pants too.

People still bought the game for the game, and had the ending been good in the first place, more people may have caught on to the fact that ME3 was so dumbed down it became very old very fast.

I actually think Bioware got lucky with the ending of ME3. Because it was so bad it created a distraction big enough to hide the fact that the game itself was largely pants too.

I still thought it was better than ME 2 at least. The combat was slightly improved, and there was more variety to the enemies. Neither game was very good though imo.

I still thought it was better than ME 2 at least. The combat was slightly improved, and there was more variety to the enemies. Neither game was very good though imo.

Indeed. It always riles me that ME2 is the one which gets included on "greatest games evar" lists. Whether you love, hate or think ME games are "meh", the first entry just had so much more about it that was better than the sequels it's crackers how it gets overlooked.

Granted it's combat wasn't the best, but as an overall game ME2 & 3 were so watered down it was unreal.

For the record I liked both ME-2 and ME-3 ('cept the last 2 hours which was pure shit) and though the combat was much improved in me-3 (over me-2) but while I enjoyed them neither were 'best game' category. Also I never really got to finish me-2 or me-3 because the story dlc are hidden behind bioware points which is a game I refuse to play.

I finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and ran through the last mission. Fun stuff but totally tired of the sneaky sneak after this and Prey. Guess I won’t be playing the dlc missions. Shame there is no sequel planned.

Playing Elex now and digging not sneaking very much. Is it worthwhile to skill up animal trophies past level 1? Four levels and all I could afford is one skill level up.

Indeed. It always riles me that ME2 is the one which gets included on "greatest games evar" lists. Whether you love, hate or think ME games are "meh", the first entry just had so much more about it that was better than the sequels it's crackers how it gets overlooked.

Granted it's combat wasn't the best, but as an overall game ME2 & 3 were so watered down it was unreal.

I found ME2 more fun than the rest of series, but I wouldn't call it a better game (definitely not "greatest game ever - not even close).

I found ME2 more fun than the rest of series, but I wouldn't call it a better game (definitely not "greatest game ever - not even close).

That kinda highlights my point. ME2 is technically more "fun"....because it's essentially a shooter, not really an RPG.

ME1 is a brilliant space-jock sim, born out of ideas like Star Trek. It's flawed, but for me it is to modern gaming what Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday or Star Control 2 was to 90's gaming - the best "space-jock/commander" RPG experience you can get. Whether you like that depends on what you connect with, enjoy, and are after. If you're playing it for the combat, it's not the game for you.

Whereas ME2 was a shooter with a few dialogue options. I enjoyed it myself to a fair degree, but whereas ME1 blows away pretty much any other game trying to do what it did, ME2 is a shooter with average/poor shooting mechanics, and there's a load of games out there who do what it tried to do better.

Simply put, ME1 is at the top of it's field, ME2 isn't. Whether you like each field is a different story, but the core of ME2 s an on-rails shooter with a few choice elements, and to see it included ahead of ME1 in these lists only shows one thing to me - that a shooter can be passed off as an RPG if fluffed up right.

That kinda highlights my point. ME2 is technically more "fun"….because it's essentially a shooter, not really an RPG.

ME1 is a brilliant space-jock sim, born out of ideas like Star Trek. It's flawed, but for me it is to modern gaming what Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday or Star Control 2 was to 90's gaming - the best "space-jock/commander" RPG experience you can get. Whether you like that depends on what you connect with, enjoy, and are after. If you're playing it for the combat, it's not the game for you.

Whereas ME2 was a shooter with a few dialogue options. I enjoyed it myself to a fair degree, but whereas ME1 blows away pretty much any other game trying to do what it did, ME2 is a shooter with average/poor shooting mechanics, and there's a load of games out there who do what it tried to do better.

Simply put, ME1 is at the top of it's field, ME2 isn't. Whether you like each field is a different story, but the core of ME2 s an on-rails shooter with a few choice elements, and to see it included ahead of ME1 in these lists only shows one thing to me - that a shooter can be passed off as an RPG if fluffed up right.

Once again, I agree.

Though I would personally put KotOR at the top of this particular field.

I am robbing the berserkers blind, but I realize that will only go so far. Does anyone know how many of the berserker quests resolved the wrong way it takes to fail to be able to join? Kind of want that 1000 elexit for the sword and to help the cleric.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom