Drakensang Questions about TDE rules

The broad sword you obtain at the beginning has a weapon stat of 0/-1. What does it mean exactly? You have 2 attacks by turn and there is a -1 penalty on the second one?

On weapons... what's the difference between a 1d+3 mace and a 1d+3 axe, a 1d3 saber, or a 1d+3 sword. Seems they are all pretty much the same. My warrior has a bonus with swords, how is this bonus reflected?

as stated above, the first number applies to your attack, the second to your parry. So, a 0/-1 means it doesn't add or subtract to your attack, but it reduces your parry by 1. As far as I know, there are no differences on the weapons except your skill on them, oh, and range (staves and spears have longer range so enemies with smaller weapons have penalties, I think I read that somewhere)

What does gaining a level do, exactly?

You can raise your skills higher... but is there anything else, do you gain "hit point"? Speaking of hit point, it seems to have another meaning than what we usually have.

Apart from raising your skill limits as you correctly describe, levels are pretty formal.

Yes, "hit points" in D&D refers to the "amount of life in your body at the moment". in TDE that would be vitality points (not sure about the translations). TDE players without D&D exposure would think that "hit points" mean damage. Does the English Drakensang use the term "hit points"?

The expression "hit point" is used in the score sheet but for something else.

The life level is indicated by "vitality".

Vitality and vitality points.

They can be raised regardless from your level if you got enough leveling points. Hit points are the amount of damage inflicted by an unparried attack. Vitality points are lowered by these hit points deducted by armor rating.

The 4th edition of the TDE rule set tends towards a system without any real ldvels, because you can basically distribute points on your character's stats any time.

In earlier editrions, you could do that only when your character had reached a new level.

In the early discussions about a possible 5th edition people all tend to axe levels alltogether, and measure characters only with their amounts of experience points.

With reference to the use of tools to craft items, gather plants, etc.

Could someone please tell which tools are of used for what?
I have come across a smithy's hammer to assist in balcksmithing, hairpins and lock picks, and finger blades, but wonder what other items there are.

Many thanks :)

Yes. I even tend to say it's 4.1 (the newest edition), but I don't remember that anymore.

And yes, I must agree to Grandor Dragon. The regeneration, for example, is just ridiculous. This NEVER happens in that way in P&P ! (As far as I know.)

Maybe. And which CRPG player would be willing to wait for hours until his party is regenerated?!

Well, at least some kind of camping would've done the trick, too. People who play D&D-based games are already accustomed to that.

Well, at least some kind of camping would've done the trick, too. People who play D&D-based games are already accustomed to that.

Yes. Or simply have fewer battles. TDE is not designed for constant fighting. Drakensang could have done with 25% of the battles, if it had emphasised on its more adventure elements and other skills. This would have been harder to design though, much harder.

With reference to the use of tools to craft items, gather plants, etc.

Could someone please tell which tools are of used for what?
I have come across a smithy's hammer to assist in balcksmithing, hairpins and lock picks, and finger blades, but wonder what other items there are.

Many thanks :)

Forgive me for not remembering its name or the exact stat increase it provides to animal lore, but one useful tool I found was a small skinning knife with a curved blade which really improved my animal gutting success quite a bit... a very useful tool. But to allude to one of my earlier niggles, even with said tool, when you're standing in the middle of 8 or ten dead Wolf Rats, with how long the animations take, it's nothing short of a CHORE to gut them for sinews and such...

Just a general 'thanks for all of the info' once again ... with my limited access to the forums, by the time I have a question, it seems to have been asked AND answered!

CarcusRex,
Thanks for the reply, now we have the smithy's hammer and the skinning knife; now all I need is to find out what to use to dig up those festering fungi !!! :)

Cheers:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply, now we have the smithy's hammer and the skinning knife; now all I need is to find out what to use to dig up those festering fungi !!! :)

A tool for herbalism would be the sickle (herbalism +2).

Indeed, I just picked up the Herb Sickle from the female herbalist inside the Moorbridge Inn. (can't remember where I found the furrier's knife) Remember to put them in your quickslot for use... like hairpin.

..... and thank you too Arhu, :)

So that's the Smthy's hammer from the Dwarf Blacksmith in Fedrok.
The Herb sickle from the herbalist in the Morrbridge Inn.
The furrier's knife can be found in the sewers below Fedrok and purchased later (see posts below)

I will update this as more details come to light. :)

Last edited:
Yes. Or simply have fewer battles. TDE is not designed for constant fighting. Drakensang could have done with 25% of the battles, if it had emphasised on its more adventure elements and other skills. This would have been harder to design though, much harder.

And it would've been much closer to the P&P kind of gameplay.

But instead the devs wanted to make some kind of Baldur's Gate (they stated the game as their "model" often enough in interviews).

And everyone knows that BG is combat-heavy.

Although, if you are used to combat-heavy RPGs, you'll hardly notice. It's just the effect of adaption.

Back
Top Bottom