Good Old Games - Ishar 1 & 2 Available

These games play more like the wizardry series. Long time since I played them but there are loads of optional things to do (like you can rob a bank). Graphics were good for the day and the attention to detail is good, such as the need for survival gear when you go trecking through the mountains.

Well worth a look at this price if you are fan of Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder or even the mighty Wizardry

Last edited:
Of course you have never heard of them, because they originate in France.

I played most of these way back when, mostly available here in uk retail outlets, they were my normal everyday bread and butter gaming needs.

By the way...is rpgwatch biased promotionally toward Gog? - these games and others in the series are available to download FREE from other sites.

By the way...is rpgwatch biased promotionally toward Gog? - these games and others in the series are available to download FREE from other sites.

Are those downloads legal?

Legal? - you tell me, i'm not sure when or if abandonware is legal or illegal.

Sites such as 'Home of the underdogs' etc' appear to be legitimate but i'm no expert.

Hello,

I had created a topic about this game release last week.
Ishar 3 is also a part of the series but hasn't been released yet.

I would say Ishar looks more like Bloodwych than Eye of the Beholder.

This series was not released in North America.

Silmarils also made the following games:
Crystals of Arboria
Dragons Breath
Storm Master
Transarctica

Last edited:

Sites such as 'Home of the underdogs' etc' appear to be legitimate but i'm no expert.

As long as the game is still available for purchase abandonware is definitely illegal, simply because the game is not "abandoned" yet.

Even abandoned games cannot legally offered for download by anybody except the company owning the rights. Often they simply don't care or silently tolerate it though.

edit:
A point gamers often forget is that taking outdated product off the market is an important step to make space for new product.

Thanks Gorath, that's what i generally believe also. Regarding taking outdated products off the market to make space for new products, can they not also run side by side as abandonware with the new product?

@ shaf
Ishar 3 was released 1994

I would say Ishar looks more like Bloodwych than Eye of the Beholder.
Well, Bloodwych was iirc entirely dungeon-based; I don't recall any open space, but then again, I didn't manage to finish the game. Also Bloodwych had the fantastic feature of split-screen dungeoneering with 2 parties, I tried this with a friend (a looong time ago :D) and it was damn fun. And it didn't require you to pay for saving the game.

What similarities do you see between Ishar and Bloodwych?

Well Ishar was released at least in some places in North America since my neighbor bought it and we played that quite a bit back when it was released. Then again it wouldn't be the first time I see something from france released in Quebec without being released elsewhere in NA....

Oh and another thing, one of the reason I chose GoG over Abandonware sites beside the fact abandonware aren't legal is that GoG offers support and makes sure the game runs properly. Also with many games you also get some nifty bonuses, be it wallpaper, manual, avatars, soundtracks and what not :).

is this an ad or more of a Pricewatch thing?

Looks like there's also something called Crystals of Arborea

Abandonia did have these years back but they removed them because ESA asked them to do so. Last I checked underdog doesnt host any downloads anymore - just reviews.

Im a fan of wizardy, eye of the beholder and might and magic, but what I tested ishar years back I didnt really like it beyond the nice graphics (especially in pictures) though.

I don't know whether you can download these games or not from abondonware sites. But, it is a great comfortability to know that when i buy a game from Gog.com, it can work on my latest gig with Vista without have to load Dosbox or something, DRM programs and without any problem.

For ex, last weekend i bought Septerra Core because the ingame videos doesn't work in Cd version under Vista, while gog version runs perfectly.

I hope they can make Might & Magic, Lands Of Lore series and many others available to buy from the site and we can play it in our new systems without any problem. Long live gog. :)

is this an ad or more of a Pricewatch thing?

Looks like there's also something called Crystals of Arborea

The news was sent in. Which means at least one of our readers considered it interesting enough for the front page.

I did some research on this game at Moby games. One of the comments stated in Ishar 1, you have to pay $100 (in game dollars) to save a game. LOL. I'm still getting it though. It's they type of game I thrived on in the 80s and 90s.

If you look, you'll see I rarely post news about GOG. This was only posted because a reader sent it in, not because of any GOG bias.

I occasionally post something about GOG when they have a new RPG or a new promotion related to RPGs. Just because I think it is newsworthy not because it will benefit us much.
As you might have noticed, the GOG banner is the only banner we have at the moment. The money that is earned from it up to now doesn't even come close to paying for one month of leasing the server and I don't think a lot of newsposts about GOG will change that. It's more of an experiment than a source of income.

Imagine, that as Joakim writes that GoG has added Ishar 1 & 2 to their stable - maybe i could also write and say for example that "Free-game-downloads" has Ishar 1,2,3 etc for to download for a one day $5.95 rate - no limitations (all you can download in one day and an even better montly rate) good if you have a fast connection speed. I wouldn't like to think that rpgwatch members are being "utilised" unfairly if you get my drift.

Of course i wouldn't normally point this out, i'm highlighting how things might easily diversify, something to be aware of. :)

Back
Top Bottom