General News - New Exclusives for The Epic Games Store

Looks like it's time for Steam to buy Exclusives also like Epic. Then we can point fingers at Epic and say they started the whole mess, and forced the other platforms to do so.

Also Microsoft gets the game as they own Obsidian and Private Division is a division of Take 2 & decide how the game gets sold. It's all about money no other reason really.
I think Steam does not need to do anything. Epic is wasting money and all these games are not going to sell as well as they think only on Epic.
Steam just needs to wait it out until Epic and stupid developers crash and burn themselves. At best Steam could lower their cut for some of the bigger games.

Well, the whole "store wars" may have an unexpected effect: Epic will become a new Early Access platform. After year of exclusivity, games will be fully patched, available on Steam/GOG and (maybe) discounted a bit. Good things come to those who wait.

Tod Howard's Tweet about this was hilarious.:lol:

Basically he asked how we liked Outer Worlds now.
Neverheard of anyone with that name.
I guess because I don't use social networks… In any case I don't know how I like Outer Worlds now - haven't finished the game yet. Maybe he, whoever might that be, did.

I smell bullshit here Joxer.:p

As every gamer today knows who Todd Howard is.

286.jpg

Hint: Bug-rim as you like to call the game.

Looks like it's time for Steam to buy Exclusives also like Epic. Then we can point fingers at Epic and say they started the whole mess, and forced the other platforms to do so.

Also Microsoft gets the game as they own Obsidian and Private Division is a division of Take 2 & decide how the game gets sold. It's all about money no other reason really.

I am still unsure of that, most of those games are low sale games, very niche in the market compared to the games Steam has.
The other part is than they are doing some showing off with numbers like 18M of users on PC, a larger cut than Valve gives to DEV and still..
Better cuts, 18M of users, publishers should run to them and push each other to go there. Well, no, they still have to pay them some nice bucks and lock them in there for 1 year so no one can flee.
Something smells wrong.

Time will tell. Epic has lots of money to throw around, but eventually, it can become too costly if the business ends up being a bust.

I'll be interested to see how well these games sell on Epic and then later compare their steam sales when they hit steam.

I do think steam should strongly consider lowering the prices across the board of all games that reach their store after being exclusive on Epic. After all, one year later, most games are discounted.

If the steam price is the same as the initial launch price was on Epic, then I can see many gamers responding negatively and having an issue or just not buying the game until it does go on sale.

There are of course many other options for steam though if they want to be more competitive. Lowering their cut on the highest profile games and getting their own exclusives would be one way.

I would only get exclusives with the biggest games though, for example, the upcoming Cyberpunk, those kinds of names and hyped games. (I get that you can't really get an exclusive with cyberpunk because they also will be on GOG anyhow - just using the game as the sort of example of a high profile, highly anticipated game)

Well the outrage would be sweet if Cyberpunk 2077 was an Epic Exclusive. Still yeah it will release on every platform available as CD Project owns GOG. More profit also.:biggrin:

Well, the whole "store wars" may have an unexpected effect: Epic will become a new Early Access platform. After year of exclusivity, games will be fully patched, available on Steam/GOG and (maybe) discounted a bit. Good things come to those who wait.

You know it wont happen, right? What people do you think pre-order games? Who buy DLCs? How many ppl are excited about upcoming titles and buy after release? What people buy microtransactions? Are kids able to wait a year? Im afraid that most people are unable to wait for so long. Yes, some will wait. But I think that there will be other bigger consequences:

- piracy will definitely be bigger
- Epic will win some customers, maybe not that much now, but after situation calm down a little. They probably still need to get some big AAA as exclusive that will bring a lot of ppl anyway.
- toxicity of some of these betrayed angry players will rise
- toxicity of pro-censor anti-players corporate-paid media will rise - they will gladly use this opportunity to attack players again

BTW it seems to me that most post-apo games will sooner or later come to Epic except some Kickstarted titles or Rage 2 - but Rage 2 is already exclusive on Bethesda launcher afaik.

I do think steam should strongly consider lowering the prices across the board of all games that reach their store after being exclusive on Epic. After all, one year later, most games are discounted.

If the steam price is the same as the initial launch price was on Epic, then I can see many gamers responding negatively and having an issue or just not buying the game until it does go on sale.

It's the publishers who set the price on Steam (and Epic), not Steam itself.

The other thing I wonder about is if this will cause more fragmentation, in terms of that big publishers will just decide "to hell with it!" and decide to have only their games on their own company game stores, because they will think they can get 100% of the profits that way, with no middle man like Epic or Steam to take a cut.

LOL, we might need about 30-50 game launchers eventually…:lol:

But being more realistic, probably some clever tech company will invent an awesome games launcher service that is independent and will be like steam in a way, but launch all games from different launchers and do it as well as steam, no hassle required.

I know they have some early ones like that already, but they probably still aren't very popular and/or refined yet.

My bet would be that in a few years, the streaming services will take over, and it will be rather like subscribing to Netflix, Amazon and HBO to get your games. Competition will be based heavily on exclusivity, in the way it is (and has always been) with TV shows.

Yeah I mentioned that nightmare scenario once before on another Epic thread about every publisher having their own client & platform. It still might happen one day.

Say whatever happened to the Discord store?

Update: I wouldn't support a Netflix style client for games either. Have you seen the amount already, and the price you would have to pay to watch everything.

The other thing I wonder about is if this will cause more fragmentation, in terms of that big publishers will just decide "to hell with it!" and decide to have only their games on their own company game stores, because they will think they can get 100% of the profits that way, with no middle man like Epic or Steam to take a cut.

That's already happening.

Beamdog, GOG and Ubisoft tried it and they decided they were not getting enough sales. I believe Microsoft tried to have their xbox exclusive PC ports only in the MS store too, I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Valves, EA and Blizzard are doing it. EA allows some old games to be on other stores sometimes.

Bethesda started doing it last year, first the last Fallout game and next Rage 2. I guess that Epic Games will put all their stuff exclusively into their own stores from now on.

Say whatever happened to the Discord store?

Something happened to it?

The discord store is still around. I found it on google search. It looks like its not very popular though. Maybe it didn't draw enough gamers. The games I see featured on the store are mostly old games too.

That's already happening.

Beamdog, GOG and Ubisoft tried it and they decided they were not getting enough sales. I believe Microsoft tried to have their xbox exclusive PC ports only in the MS store too, I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Valves, EA and Blizzard are doing it. EA allows some old games to be on other stores sometimes.

Bethesda started doing it last year, first the last Fallout game and next Rage 2. I guess that Epic Games will put all their stuff exclusively into their own stores from now on.

That's right, now I remember they removed Fallout 76 from steam.

Something happened to it?
No I was just wondering because it's not popular and before Epic it gave developers a better percentage. Nowadays all I read about is bought Epic exclusives instead.

re: games streaming service store. I agree with couch, not thrilled by that prospect either!

Update: I wouldn't support a Netflix style client for games either. Have you seen the amount already, and the price you would have to pay to watch everything.

I'm not saying you should like it, but I'd bet money that's where we're heading.

Well when that happens I'm probably done with gaming. Still it failed every-time the industry tried. Just look up a company called Onlive who said the same thing years back.

Anyway I'm an old timer when it comes to games & the younger generation has different tastes. So nowadays or the next ten years Netflix game services might very well happen.

Back
Top Bottom