The TV Series discussion thread

Watchmen (the series) is really bad. Been catching up on it, just finished episode 3 and, while I've tried to forgive and be patient, I think I'm about done. Jessica Lange, playing the former wife of Dr. Manhattan, pulling out what was supposedly a 12" blue dildo was the final nail in the coffin of a ridiculously aimless plot.

Watchmen (the series) is really bad. Been catching up on it, just finished episode 3 and, while I've tried to forgive and be patient, I think I'm about done. Jessica Lange, playing the former wife of Dr. Manhattan, pulling out what was supposedly a 12" blue dildo was the final nail in the coffin of a ridiculously aimless plot.

I've kept watching it despite saying I wasn't going to, and I've warmed to it somewhat. The 4th episode was actually pretty interesting, and I really like Jeremy Irons as Adrian Veidt. It's a far cry from the film though.

That's not Jessica Lange btw.

The Mandalorian. Loved it. Way better than the new trilogy, hope it keeps up like this. Looked beautiful too, silver/sand/brown/super bright reds, it looked cool. 100% focused on the Mandalorian, no boring side stories / secondary characters. Short though, 38 mins.

I did view the first episode of the Watchmen, didn't really grab me. Might go back and try the second at some point. Veronica Mars, on the other hand, is only getting better. Five episodes in and I'm quite enjoying it!!

It was indeed pretty good, seems promising! I liked the throwback to old tech, instead of relying on 100% CGI (dwarf in a robot suit, animatronics, puppets).

Yeah. A bit on the nose even, did you notice how wobbly they made that door droid when it came out of the hole? i was directly thinking "they did that on purpose, otherwise people will think its CGI." But sure, it's more charming i think :) Overall it had a good OLD star wars vibe, very unlike the new trilogy.

Eh… it was "ok". I was expecting better after reading so many positive comments. It does a decent job of capturing the Star Wars feel, but it didn't blow me away, and there's an overabundance of fan service.

It was also way too short and ended just as I was starting to get interested. I hope future episodes are longer.

and there's an overabundance of fan service.

Exactly what? you see this comment a lot for SW i think, but why wouldnt you see e.g familiar creatures or whatever. If everything is always new then the universe wouldn't really feel like Star Wars but just like generic sci-fi, that could be any universe.

I doubt the other episodes are gonna be longer. Wouldnt really make sense to have a short first episode, usually they are longer. It's a bit unfortunate but it will also be nice with such a focused story and on one character mainly. They're not gonna have the time to fill it with "fluff".

Any hardcore SW fan should be extremely happy about this, and all the SW channels i follow (who hates the new "woke" star wars) were cheering with joy.. We'll see if it later starts pushing politics/wokeness, but hopefully they've learned something.

Watched the second episode of His Dark Materials. Still really good show..

Last edited:
I watched the Mandalorian, it really felt short and as others have said, ended when it was get going so I think because of that felt bit underwhelming. However it feels better than any of the new SW stuff.

Also I am not sure how not taking the helm off going to work in the long run. Its kind of cool for few explodes but it can get tiring very fast. Eyes are one of the most important thing when it comes to a person hence acting so not sure how that going to will work.

One thing I didn't understand is why did he needed to train on that mount before going to bad guy's place? Why can't he just fly in and blow the thing up as that what he did in the end with the droid? :) That whole thing felt odd to me.

The best thing about the show was the end credit and music!

Last edited:
I got through around 20 minutes before getting bored with Mandalorian.

Super predictable and safe, with zero charm or things that stood out to me. Maybe it got better? I'll never know.

Yes, it was definitely full of unimaginative fan-service.

Exactly what? you see this comment a lot for SW i think, but why wouldnt you see e.g familiar creatures or whatever. If everything is always new then the universe wouldn't really feel like Star Wars but just like generic sci-fi, that could be any universe.

Like half the stuff in the episode. Being SW doesn't mean they have to use the same material without attempting to innovate at the same time. I get that some fans are fine with just seeing the same things over and over again when it comes to SW, but I'd like to see some new stuff as well.

One thing I didn't understand is why did he needed to train on that mount before going to bad guy's place? Why can't he just fly in and blow the thing up as that what he did in the end with the droid? :) That whole thing felt odd to me.

Yeah, there were several things that didn't seem very plausible even by SW standards.

The thing that really stood out to me was how the bounty hunter droid was able to withstand so much blaster fire during that shootout, including a direct hit from the large mounted blaster, yet the Mandalorian took him out with one shot from his pistol.

Plenty of new stuff that we get to learn about the Mandalorians. Couldn't care less that they use the same binoculars as in ANH, it does not take away anything. In fact there was very little "fan service", in Rogue One there was at least one very obvious fan service which was cringy, nothing like that here.

That thing did not feel odd to me, that dude helping him seemed to know about the Mandalorians of old, and he wanted him to honor old traditions, he wanted to know he was of the right stuff. They also did not know what they were up against so a sneaky approach was probably good, that laser they had could easily have taken them down if they were in a ship..

The Mandalorians knows the IG units well btw.. so nothing odd about him knowing about a weakness. It wasn't perfect but it also fits within the universe, Stormtroopers never being able to hit isnt exactly realistic either, but its something we just expect ;)

Edit: and oh, i actually really like that the protagonist isn't a face. i even wish i hadn't read up who the actor is (surprised me) because now i kind of see him heh. Never had a problem with the animated series for example, which have zero acting apart from voice. doubt it will be a problem here..

Last edited:
You kinda stop being useful in an exchange, once you play the "my opinion is now fact - even though I asked for your opinion" card.

You liked it and you didn't see much fan-service.

That's cool, no harm done.

Other people might have a different opinion? My suggestion:

Deal with it.

It's my opinion, my opinion might be different?

I'd love to know which parts where considered fan service though :) If half of it really was that, then there must be at least one thing to mention? No?

Star Wars is really very simplistic sci-fi, but with great lore. To me its like a western, you have certain things that you expect in a western that usually always happens, the shoot-out, the robbery, the lone gun man etc. SW is very much like that, it's not something that tries to be super different. I can absolutely understand that people find it boring and i can also understand that fans (like myself) wants it to be portrayed in the same way as the older movies or animated series, it's what we like.

I don't really watch TV at all, but I saw Lost in Space on Netflix and watched the first 3 or 4 episodes. Does it stay mostly like a soap opera? So far it focuses on relations between crew members much more than on surviving an alien world. I also don't think much of the new "doctor". It seems a horrible casting job.

It's my opinion, my opinion might be different?

I'd love to know which parts where considered fan service though :) If half of it really was that, then there must be at least one thing to mention? No?

Star Wars is really very simplistic sci-fi, but with great lore. To me its like a western, you have certain things that you expect in a western that usually always happens, the shoot-out, the robbery, the lone gun man etc. SW is very much like that, it's not something that tries to be super different. I can absolutely understand that people find it boring and i can also understand that fans (like myself) wants it to be portrayed in the same way as the older movies or animated series, it's what we like.

I'm confused. You'd love to know what's fan service - now that you've claimed it's a fact that it's not fan service?

Sorry, that doesn't compute.

As for your opinion that the Star Wars setting in itself "doesn't try to be different" - as if a setting had any kind of agency, that's also a little confusing.

Human beings are usually the ones deciding if something new is to be done with a setting, like they tried with Rogue One and, say, KotOR 2.

Of course, if you actually think the setting itself is the one making decisions, I can sort of see how you'd get things wrong in relation to it :)

In any case, I know you're not capable of being reasonable once you reach this point - so I'll just leave it alone.

Asking for just one argument as to why 50% of it is "fan service" isn't reasonable?

Fan service would be throwing in characters/creatures or a phrase that doesn't really make too much sense in a scene, or which doesn't really add to the plot or anything, its only there because they think it will please the crowd. It's awful, it's absolute cringe.
I didn't see any of it and yes it's a fact that I didn't. It's my experience i'm describing, it should be obvious because its all that it can be. However i don't mind listening to other people's experience of it, that's why i'm curious.

I don't like Disney even the slightest, but i have no problem giving them credit when they do things right, which i think they did and the whole "hardcore" SW community does seem to agree (from what i've seen).

I'm confused. You'd love to know what's fan service - now that you've claimed it's a fact that it's not fan service?

Sorry, that doesn't compute.

I think you are being pedantic there :)

vurt thinks there is little or no fan service.
You think there is lots of fan service.

So surely it was a reasonable ask for some examples of what *you* consider as fan service? :)

I didn't see any fan service in there and thats because I am not huge SW fans and most references would have gone over my head. However I did spot some spaghetti western fan service what I didn't think it distracted from the over all experience.

I think you are being pedantic there :)

vurt thinks there is little or no fan service.
You think there is lots of fan service.

So surely it was a reasonable ask for some examples of what *you* consider as fan service? :)

I didn't see any fan service in there and thats because I am not huge SW fans and most references would have gone over my head. However I did spot some spaghetti western fan service what I didn't think it distracted from the over all experience.

As I said, any discussion is meaningless once opinions are declared as facts.

So, I wasn't being pedantic.

vurt was being unreasonable.

Back
Top Bottom