Steelrising - Gameplay Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on some gameplay video for Steelrising which is due to release September 6th.

GameInformer has shared a video, showcasing six minutes of gameplay footage from the upcoming action RPG, SteelRising. SteelRising is the next game from SPIDERS, the team behind games like Bound by Flame, The Technomancer and Greedfall.

In SteelRising, players will assume the role of Aegis; an automaton masterpiece made by Vaucanson, an engineer in the service of the Clockwork King. Players will make the most of their mechanical prowess to adapt Aegis to their style of play and become a fearsome warrior, a deadly dancer or a virtuoso of elemental arts.

[...]

More information.

I wish I could say I'm excited for this, but I think it'll be the first game from Spiders I don't purchase. I'm just not seeing much of anything that appeals to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it does well for them from a sales standpoint though.

Hımm... Soulslike combat in a steampunk setting. Count me in.

I wish I could say I'm excited for this, but I think it'll be the first game from Spiders I don't purchase. I'm just not seeing much of anything that appeals to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it does well for them from a sales standpoint though.
I hope they're just cashing in some money to make another RPG afterwards.

If everybody only made those games that bring the most money, would Piranha Bytes really keep making those games. ;)

More seriously though I've seen some interviews with Jehanne Rousseau and she could be one of the persons that rather does what she likes than to earn some more cash. Yeah, I'm a romantic.

I don't see Spiders as being one of those developers that stays consistent to please a fanbase. You can see it in the way their games have evolved. Greedfall seemed like an attempt to appeal to a wider audience and Steelrising even more so. I actually preferred their older titles.

Yeah like I said this will be the first spiders RPG that I probably wont buy day one. As I'm not a fan of soul-likes and the setting/main character don't interest me in the slightest.

Wonder if this game was Jehanne's idea or the studios new publisher?

While Im big fan of From Software production, Im still waiting for souls-like game from other developer, that would be worth the effort and dedication this type of games require to be enjoyable. I have zero expectations from Spiders on the souls-like field and will probably skip it.

I don't have a problem with the genre, but the combat animations seem wonky and the studio really lacks what it takes to make a good Soulslike. It's also very likely the game will fall off in the last half and be grindy for no reason other than to fill hours of gameplay without really adding much actual content, as they did in Greedfall.

It's also not clear from the little I've seen, but the loot system seems to be this procedurally generated crap that has swamped the RPG genre lately and is good for nothing but removing any excitement from finding and looting unique items scattered across the world, which is one of the things Fromsoft games do best.

I predict a 7/10 game that will be playable, will sell weakly, and really just keep their ball rolling so they can make the next average RPG after this one, which seems what a lot of these companies are happy with.

I don't see Spiders as being one of those developers that stays consistent to please a fanbase. You can see it in the way their games have evolved. Greedfall seemed like an attempt to appeal to a wider audience and Steelrising even more so. I actually preferred their older titles.
My hope was or ist that they (especially Jehanne Rousseau) just do what they want without listening too much to publishers/investors or the fan base. Thus it could be possible that they wanted to try something new with Steelrising and afterwards they return to their passion which are RPGs. But yeah, chances are slim I guess.

I predict a 7/10 game that will be playable, will sell weakly, and really just keep their ball rolling
Yep, I can see that too. However I guess it'll be rtaher above 70 than below 70.

so they can make the next average RPG after this one, which seems what a lot of these companies are happy with.
Well, I guess no dev is happy when games stay average, but sometimes it's just not possible to perform better? I'd rather have them happy with it than depressed. ;)

Back
Top Bottom