Last game you finished, tell us about it

I just played through Jedi Fallen order and it was an amazing experience. The best jedi and star wars game since jedi knights and kotor I&II. Playing this game just made me utterly happy. :) How long has it been to play a star wars game which actually was worth of something… This game captured the magic of star wars and made me grin stupidly all the time while playing it. Yeah it is not a rpg, but as an action adventure it really does it's job well. :)

I just can't wait the sequel. I'd love to see them throw few new force powers into mix and maybe have a chance to have a blaster pistol. And new exciting planets to explore… New ways to custom Cal and his crew would be awesome as well. I just want it to continue and never end.

Encouraging :) I really like the look of this, and will defo be playing it at some point.

Encouraging to hear it captures that magic. So many Star Wars games fail abysmally in that department.

Guess I'll just have to play both of them to find out ;)

I ended up not playing Conquistador because it doesn't sound like my cup of tea - sounded a bit more like strategy game than RPG but I could be wrong (since I haven't played it).

I'd say Conquistador has both strategy and RP elements, but yeah, the overall focus is likely more that of strategy. I still call it a game well worth playing, though.

Well...it really depends, because you usually associate running around on a map with Strategy and running around in a zone (like in Baldurs Gate) with an RPG.
In Conquistador you are running around on a map, in Vikings you run around in Zones and you are more "zoomed in". Doesn't make either more of strategy or RPG though.

Just finished GreedFall it was a solid RPG that was a huge letdown towards the end of the game. Have to give them credit for an original setting, and good companions.

Still It suffers from the usual Spiders method of constant back tracking to the point it gets annoying. I'm not kidding half the game is going back to old areas multiple times.

I'd give it a 7/10 as most will enjoy it even with the negatives.

Just finished a replay of Pillars of Eternity. My total play time across both runs is about 150hrs according to Steam.

I think it's very good game and I had a lot of fun with it. The overall story still leaves me a bit cold to be honest, but the exploration are many of the individual quests are good, as is the sense of progression. Soulbound weapons are a nice touch that gives you something to factor into your tactics. I played through it with a melee rogue character, dual wielding a rapier and a dagger, which I enjoyed more than my first run with a fighter.

Last edited:
Not counting Dlc or anything the last game i finished would have to be Grim Dawn, an ARPG by Crate interactive i think is the name of the company wOr Terraria 1.2, though it is currently 1.4, so not sure if that counts.

Just finished Gothic 2 + NotR for the first time in a while ... I have started many times, but it has been at least 5 years since I made it all the way through - a key part of that was the Spine utility that allowed it to work well on my Surface Pro 7 :)

It is occasionally very 'game-y', especially early on - but I still absolutely love the game!

ROTTR - most enjoyable, also some great save files available as the QTE and timing related events are s$@t for what's left of my wrists/hands.

Then I would not recommend Sekiro - it will finish your wrists and hands and leave you with a severe case of repetitive strain injury in your elbows.

Refinished the max payne trilogy, first one was fantastic, nonstop rollercoaster from all points of view. Second one, complete letdown, story was a mess, same for the level design. Third was great as an alone action game, maybe too much cinematic in many moments but feels out of place.

Refinished the max payne trilogy, first one was fantastic, nonstop rollercoaster from all points of view. Second one, complete letdown, story was a mess, same for the level design. Third was great as an alone action game, maybe too much cinematic in many moments but feels out of place.

I also did a replay of the whole series a couple of month ago, I think? I had a bit of different experience though. Loved Max Payne 1 and 2, even though I agree 2 is inferior. But not that inferior imo.

But I could not play through MP3 all the way. Not sure if I just burnt out, but it was different enough in style/gameplay that i kind of lost steam, and gave up. Mechanically it's very solid, MP3, but everything else, except for the voice actor, felt off. Like a spin-off, than an actual sequel. So for me MP3 is lower on a rating scale than MP2.

Wasteland 3

Much better than the second one across the board. Lots of choice and consequence. Character building feel more rewarding and interesting. Dialogue skills can get you out of a lot of combat scenarios. Combat information is better displayed and a larger variety of guns & mods. The animated and voiced cut scenes with major characters was a great touch. The gray area between good and bad choices was pretty well done as well.

If it weren't for Cyberpunk 2077 and the FF7 Remake this would likely be my GotY.

Avernum 5 (2007)

I started this just as the UK was beginning to ease lockdown, so I'm guessing I've been playing it for about 2 or 3 months, but with a week or two break at about three quarters of the way through. Probably about 100 hours of game time.

Upon completion I felt I'd had a quite wonderful RPG experience, and one that seemed to be a lot more Choice & Consequence oriented than the previous games in the series. While these games already have quite a lot of the basic C&C things, this game wanted to go that one bit further and is not afraid to offer the player lots and lots of whole-game-defining scenarios, from a number of sources.

Also, the tactical battles are spruced up a bit and some newer ideas are brought in here too, with many of the combats requiring an element of puzzle solving in order to attain victory. Not in the Adventure Game sense of puzzling of the kind one sees a lot of in Avernum 3, but more of the "why are my attacks currently ineffective" kind and you have to figure out the right way to approach the combat before your weapons will even hit, usually once combat has already initiated.

Not all the combat is like that, there's lots of regular combat and lots of shootin' & lootin' and all of that, I'm just referring to the more boss-like combats in the above paragraph.

The game has a great pacing, both levelling and loot-wise and there's a constant drive leading one on further and further into the game. This one is slightly more linear than the first trilogy, just as Avernum 4 was, but probably even more noticeably so than even 4 as each area you explore is very obviously and neatly its own area and the overall path is very linear, even though there's full non-linear exploration within each area.

I did suddenly come to halt at about three quarters of the way into it, just outside the town of Muck. I have no idea why, I just couldn't be fussed any more. I think its because the Highground/Muck zone is just a bit samey for too long. There's lots of great stuff there, it just feels a bit bland and desolate in the main areas after the more unique zones before it. And after, because, luckily I did get back in the mood again not long later and the next couple of zones are great again. But, yeah, that was the only part of the game for me where the pacing seemed to stutter slightly.

As per usual with his games, there's very little to complain about, everything works and everything is cohesive, always a good romp. Just the usual Spiderweb game thing whereby, having completed such an epic game, I couldn't imagine starting part 6 for quite a long time.

A good sign that I'm enjoying a game, just before what I believed was the final zone, I revisited the whole map again, just to make sure I'd completed everything I wanted to complete before moving on, check on all the shops, finish off all possible quests, try and squeeze as much content as possible, etc.

8/10

Wasteland 3

One of the best games from 2020; just like the 2nd, many choices and consequences and some memorable moments, like the Aspen mission which was absolutely fantastic, felt trully rewarded at the end. OST awesome as well.

The big problems are on the technical side, loading times are a pain in the ass, overall the game doesnt look that good except the vehicle exploration part. Plus the interface is clunky as fuck, managing the squad becomes really annoying really fast. Also had a big bug towards the end which made it impossible to get one ending.

If that broken pos mmo is "one of the best games from 2020", please, 2021 come soon.

Any thoughts on any fixes/improvements with HZD on PC, please?

It's had several (3?) updates now since release. I can't telll you what they fixed because I never had any issues myself. If the setting interests you, don't hesitate. It's an excellent game.

I did complete Persona Four yesterday, I think in total it took me maybe two weeks to do it all. I'm sure I missed plenty and I hope to correct that with the next play, but I'm not going to be doing that now. It's a great game, keep in mind I've only ever played the first Persona before, so I've no knowledge of the second or third iterations, but if they ever get released for gog or steam I know I'd be giving them a go.

In Persona Four, you are a youth in a small town, visiting your uncle and his daughter. You are staying there the entire year, going to school, making new friends, and of course, meeting villians. The game is a balance between maintaining family/friend relationships, and diving into various dungeons to release some of your friends, as well as acquiring monies and lewts. The game and combat mechanics are solid, should the jrpg/turn-based games be of any interested to you, I suspect you'd enjoy this game. You maintain a combat team of four for dungeon delving purposes, with a few bench-warmers so you can mix and match to see what type of squad works best for you.

Baldur's gate 3 early access

I haven't enjoyed an RPG this much since Pathfinder: Kingmaker and would like to convey that this will become an excellent RPG. Those who are not going to try the EA: stay strong - there are plenty of bugs and poorly working elements in the game at the moment. You're doing right by not spoiling the enjoyment ;) Those who want to try: this game is so complex that I doubt that there will be two similar playthroughs, so you might as well go for it instead of watching videos of others playing the EA.

I am almost ready to forgive the naming of the game as Larian has teased out elements that made the original entries classics and improved on them. The low-level forest exploration is back and is as enjoyable as I remember it from BG 1, although the lack of day/night cycle impairs the atmosphere a little bit. Anyone familiar with DnD lore will get *that* vibe from the game and feel right home. There is a great feeling of involuntary adventure about the party. NPCs are generally well-written and complex. None feel like a slave created for the player. Everybody has their own agenda and the agendas of the player and joinable NPCs just happen to entwine for a while. The good and evil are somewhere there in the background but the game is written so well that both appear as reasonable options. The internal battle of using your mystical powers is also there but does not work very well in the early access (will no doubt be fixed).

A paladin-like brainless charging to battle is discouraged and you can infiltrate and talk your way through the enemies. Your party feels so underpowered against some of the enemies that the game almost asks you to choose another way than a direct confrontation. This gives the game a novel or tabletop RPG feel as you do not just delete the world around you by killing everybody. Even goblins are mighty creatures when there are enough of them. Talking of enemies: they depend on your choices. You can play good, neutral, evil, or mix all of these. Depending on what you do, some factions become hostile while others become "allies". A nice thing is that playing evil does not feel any eviler than playing a good character. The factions are just different sides of DnD lore.

One of the things I liked the most about the game was that playing a rogue does not feel pointless any longer. It is fun and rogue is a valuable asset in a battle. I tend to pick troubled characters in RPGs and enjoy playing a drow in DnD games. The game responded quite nicely to being a drow, although I feel that the NPCs could have been even more hostile towards my character. Scaling walls is currently missing from the game and would add enjoyment to the rogue & drow combination. Yet, implementing this might be difficult.

There is one thing I have not seen in similar games before: the use of light and eyesight, even though this aspect has been baked into DnD for a long time. BG3 does an attempt on this by darkening the screen in low-light settings for humans and by giving some disadvantages in the battle. Drow on the other hand does not suffer from these penalties but does not have any penalties on the surface either! The use of lighting is a great idea and could be vastly improved from what it is now. If Larian got the light thing right (see here), BG3 could be a truly innovative entry to cRPGs.

Even if they did not fix any of these things, the game would still be excellent when published without the countless bugs it has at the moment. There is still the Larian vibe, which some people on this forum appear to be allergic to. If you're not, and love turn-based fantasy RPGs, this game might well become a GotY or even GotD for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom