What games are you playing now?

I doubt I will complete Origins since I think its damn big for its own good bit like Witcher 3. However I think I will get good 40/50 hour fun out of it so its money well spent!

The main reason why I got the game was Egypt. There is something so mysteries and seductive about the "setting" and I think the game captures that very well so far.

However there is no deep RPG system or story here for 100+ hours but there is enough to keep you engaged for good 40 hours, me thinks!

I think of this as the new Thor movie, its not deep but will entertain for the ticket price :)

I have a hard time not getting closure with games, and I don't measure my fun in hours played - but rather the "complete experience".

Buuuuut, I'll probably check it out regardless. Not at 60 Euro, though.

Dunno if ACO is similar to HZD as that game is not available on PC.
But it's not really TW3.

Similarities:
- sidequests have their own substory connected to main story and are unlocked by solving previous sidequests
- there are two (okay, in ACO three but the third one in this installment is irrelevant) playable characters where the second one can't access skills nor inventory in both games
- diving and looting underwater is possible in both games (unlike rotten EA's Frostbite engine and other "glorified" engines by many)
- smallboats mechanics do seem same in both games, but I don't think that can be done better yet different anyway
- each game you'll complete (by that I mean doing main plus all sidecontent) in same time frame, if you needed cca 100 hours for TW3, you'll need approximately the same number of hours for ACO
- both games do not shy away from humorous scenes unlike, well, Elex

Differences:
- ACO is checkpointbased game with max 3 save slots, TW3 allows saving anywhere with any number of savegames so you can showoff any stuff to visiting friends anytime you want
- TW3 world feels bigger
- TW3 doesn't support microtrancactions, ACO has both that and additionally lootboxes
- Geralt cannot become master of everything in skill trees, Bayek can
- TW3 has RPGized mounts (horses) where equips affect riding "efficiency", in ACO all mounts have the same capabilities regardless of "outfits"
- crafting in ACO is as basic as possible, no richness of items like in TW3
- Geralt does not have a drone, Bayek does in form of an eagle, on the other hand Bayek cannot see tracks through button being held but has to spam V here and there like sonar in Dragon Age Inquisition
- TW3 music is top notch, ACO music is meh
- TW3 does not contain Sea Dogs shipbattles, ACO has them
- TW3 does not hammer all your CPU cores to 100% use, ACO does
- There is no hairworks in ACO, also heair and beard don't grow overtime on Bayek
- There is no gwent nor similar minigame in ACO
- There is no choices&consequences system in ACO but this was expected as you're reliving one's memories, I hope this will be possible to overcome somehow in future AC games
- The inventory size in ACO is unlimited, in TW3 you can't carry everything you looted
- ACO combat is supereasy, only elephants are a bit challenging if you don't use lifesteal weapons
- ACO uses several DRM solutions at once, TW3 is available as DRMfree game

I missed probably more of differences, but I think you get the point.
If you do like ACO, I suggest buying Watch Dogs 2. That game plays very similar to it, only you'll be using an actual drone (and a remote controlled minicar) instead of eagle. But while ACO is borderline RPG, WD2 is not RPG.

Last edited:
Regardless, W3 also reminded me a lot of Ubisoft open worlders - only with better writing :)

In fact, something like every other game I play reminds me of a Ubisoft open worlder.

Hardly a surprise that we'd start seeing significant homogenization in the AAA space.

Seriously? TW3 copies Ubi?
How many Ubi openworlds you saw where (any) sidequest is meaningful?
Also, how many towers in TW3 you need to climb?
I've also noted above something Ubi games force, checkpoints.

Maybe you mixed things with Nintendo Switch Zelda? :D

Seriously? TW3 copies Ubi?
How many Ubi openworlds you saw where (any) sidequest is meaningful?
Also, how many towers in TW3 you need to climb?
I've also noted above something Ubi games force, checkpoints.

Maybe you mixed things with Nintendo Switch Zelda? :D

Perhaps you could just focus on what I said, instead of whatever your imagination comes up with.

I said W3 reminded me of Ubisoft open worlders. I didn't say who copied who - or in which way.

Mostly, it was about the PoI paradigm (almost identical to where I first saw it - the AC and Far Cry games), the awful "witcher senses" implementation (basically auto-solve anything that's not combat, which is also very Ubisoft like) - and the overdone hand-holding and reliance on the mini-map in terms of intended design.

Yes, I know you can disable some of that - just like you can in Ubisoft games.

But all the same, that's what W3 reminded me of.

W1 and W2 never reminded me of a Ubisoft game, so there it is.

Reminded me of != they're identical.

It means they have similarities that stood out to me, that's all.

I have a hard time not getting closure with games, and I don't measure my fun in hours played - but rather the "complete experience".

Buuuuut, I'll probably check it out regardless. Not at 60 Euro, though.

I too like "closure" and "end" for games. However, these days I feel games are very bloated for their own good. It seems everyone wants 100+ hour games so things get padded and I tend to get bored. I used to slough through some boring games to finish them to get closure but I have all but given upon that now days! I will now just stop once I get bored of the game. This is why I tend to measure games in terms of how many hours of quality game play they give me before getting bored!

HZD is the only game in recent time I finished (in fact got platinum!) where the end of the game coincided with my boredom level! I think it took me about 50ish hours.

Tonight I should be playing Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire backer beta. And by playing, I mean spending hours in the character creation.

That means putting on hold my MEA playthrough.

I too like "closure" and "end" for games. However, these days I feel games are very bloated for their own good. It seems everyone wants 100+ hour games so things get padded and I tend to get bored. I used to slough through some boring games to finish them to get closure but I have all but given upon that now days! I will now just stop once I get bored of the game. This is why I tend to measure games in terms of how many hours of quality game play they give me before getting bored!

HZD is the only game in recent time I finished (in fact got platinum!) where the end of the game coincided with my boredom level! I think it took me about 50ish hours.

I agree with you very much :)

It's some kind of mental blockade on my part that I don't just skip the boring bits and focus on the good parts of games. I tend to start out all OCD about seeing and experiencing everything - and then I eventually exhaust the gameplay, and end up quitting the game way before it actually ends.

As you say, there's so much filler in the vast majority of open world games - that you just get sick of it in the end.

Still, I don't feel I'm done with something until I've completed it. Which is another kind of mental trickery I put myself through because I'm a moron.

Yup, only on PS4.

There is a lots of that this year (console exclusives). I feel like I'm back in the 2000s.

I usually pick up a console late in its generation, along with used copies of all its great games. Had a blast with the PS3's best offerings a few years ago. I don't like to spend proper money on these walled-garden systems, but some of the games are excellent.

I think also, in fairness to Sony, they've acquired some great studios, and not crushed them.

I think also, in fairness to Sony, they've acquired some great studios, and not crushed them.

This is the thing, they seems to be giving lot of freedom to many of these studios as well unlike say EA...

I'm a few hours in to FONV for the first time. Am only running unofficial patch, PC/NPC looks overhaul and DARN UI at the mo. I'll probably add a no exploding bodies mod soon, heads rolling all over the landscape irked me in FO3 as well.

Yesterday I bumped up the difficulty to hard. I didn't start in the hardcore mode... Should I restart?

I started ELEX again last night and tried it on Normal difficulty. It immediately felt a lot easier - so I started to feel a sense of shame ;)

So, I put it back on "Difficult" (not Hard, as I thought it was called) - but I noticed that there are multiple options related to difficulty - so it's not just a straight-up scaling thing. For instance, it seems you can tune how hard the combo meter thingy is to use - which could be useful.

But, I'll tough it out this time :)

Ultra/hardest options for ELEX. It isn't a hard game, just a game where you need to learn how it works.

Back
Top Bottom