The Science Thread

bb-yeah-science_gifw551.gif

Scientists Say They've Found The Driver of False Beliefs, And It's Not Lack of Intelligence.

Link - https://www.sciencealert.com/feedback-study-explains-why-false-beliefs-stick
Why is it sometimes so hard to convince someone that the world is indeed a globe, or that climate change is actually caused by human activity, despite the overwhelming evidence?

Scientists think they might have the answer, and it's less to do with lack of understanding, and more to do with the feedback they're getting.

Getting positive or negative reactions to something you do or say is a greater influence on your thinking than logic and reasoning, the new research suggests – so if you're in a group of like-minded people, that's going to reinforce your thinking.

Receiving good feedback also encourages us to think we know more than we actually do.

In other words, the more sure we become that our current position is right, the less likely we are to take into account other opinions or even cold, hard scientific data.

I, for one, welcome our new arachnid overlords.

Definitely something going on with the spiders, this year…

Shelob is coming.

I recommend using Sting, and the Phial of Galadriel against them.

pibbur who still regards spiders as one of his racial enemies.

PS.
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
She'll be watching you

DS.

Last edited:
Where’s a blowtorch when you need one.

Agrreed. Can't find mine. Either the wife has hidden it, or I never had one.

pibbur who usually resorts to applying rapidly moving objects to the immediate vincinity of the beasts. Sadly, sometimes not rapidly enough, so procedure has to be repeated to a wider area. Which of course has the risk of unintenionally affecting nearby non arachnoid objects. Which sometimes breaks…. He HATES spiders.

Last edited:
Shelob is coming.

I recommend using Sting, and the Phial of Galadriel against them.

pibbur who still regards spiders as one of his racial enemies.

PS.
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
She'll be watching you

DS.

:lol:

The Guardian: Monsanto's global weedkiller harms honeybees, research finds
The world’s most used weedkiller damages the beneficial bacteria in the guts of honeybees and makes them more prone to deadly infections, new research has found.

Harm to gut bacteria by glyphosate exposure has also been shown in a pilot study in rats. “Gut bacteria play a vital role in maintaining good health, in organisms as diverse as bees and humans,” said Goulson. “The finding that these bacteria are sensitive to the most widely used pesticide in the world is thus concerning.”

People are known to widely consume glyphosate residues in food - such as children’s breakfast cereal - but the health impact is controversial.

If you’d prefer to skip The Guardian, here is a link to the study:
Glyphosate perturbs the gut microbiota of honey bees

bees rely on a specialized gut microbiota that benefits growth and provides defense against pathogens. Most bee gut bacteria contain the enzyme targeted by glyphosate, but vary in whether they possess susceptible versions and, correspondingly, in tolerance to glyphosate. Exposing bees to glyphosate alters the bee gut community and increases susceptibility to infection by opportunistic pathogens. Understanding how glyphosate impacts bee gut symbionts and bee health will help elucidate a possible role of this chemical in colony decline.

There is a HUGE discussion on it going on here in Germany right now !

How a big roman town vanished : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nida_(Roman_town)

There is only a single, rather short sentence pointing towards the massive destruction of the town (how a single, short sentence can downplay such a massive destruction is a point of interest in Communications itself) :

However, their destruction began with the construction of the "Römerstadt"[8], a new residential suburb, in 1927-9 and was completed during the "Nordweststadt" building project from 1961 to 1973.

They mainly used a never-touched area, possibly containing a massive number of findings, and completely ( ! ) deconstructed it for a new, modern town. Apparingly politicians didn't belief in Archaeology.

Extensive underground remains, with walls several metres high, were known to have survived untouched in the field and were subject of a few archaeological excavations, that found pottery, fibulas & statues[6] & a beautiful helm[7].

The German-language article is more detailed : https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nida_(römische_Stadt)

Especially sad is this picture : https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nida_...a/File:Das_teutsche_Pompeji_ist_zerstoert.jpg

Yes, I noticed that with my father as well : He told us : Really good doctors, but all fail at explaining the things to him.

Since this is the science thread has anyone decoded or built a codex to understand ChienAboyeur. If not I'll gladly pay for one. I mean I narrowed this down to two theories.

Theory A - He is a rouge Google bot who hasn't mastered language yet.
Theroy B- He deserves an award for playing a role and trolling all of of us.

I'm starting to believe Theory B and it must take a lot of work to write replies.

Back
Top Bottom