Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
The audience for Eternity cannot grow much, there is always a limit to growth of something (and thus "below expectations" statements from gaming industry scammers occur).

What could have happened is getting more audience for Eternity2. It failed because:
- the game used same NPCs from the prequel and not in a good way (reset to level 1)
- the story used the giant statue from the first game to the extreme level making it confusing to a newcommer
- the game looked and played as the first game with only one additional feature (ships) that after a few fights became a chore
- paladins are boring

Former Black Isle staff knows from their own history that FO2 multiplied the audience because the sequel had just a few references on the first game but was a standalone story without caring about the prequel and was improved in every possible way.

I have no idea why this staff, instead of doing the same thing with Eternity2, simply cloned it and made practically a standalone expansion.

If Eternity3 will be again same shit different wrapping, well, good luck with it's audience growth.

Call of Saregnar SGC 2019 Trailer

Romancing SaGa 3 was released - Steam

The celebrated RPG classic comes west for the first time! Developed by industry veterans including the legendary developer Akitoshi Kawazu, Romancing SaGa™ 3 was originally released in Japan in 1995. This HD remaster of the legendary RPG masterpiece introduces optimized graphics, a new dungeon to explore, new scenarios and a new game+ function. Select one of the 8 unique protagonists and embark on an epic adventure defined by your own choices!
Is Pixel Art ‘Retro’ or is it a Timeless Artform? - Exclusively Games
The ongoing popularity of the indie scene, at least on the PC, has over the course of the last decade bestowed upon us the gift (or curse) of hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands of pixel art games. For some it’s a cheap way to make a game out without having to have any talent in graphics design; for some it’s a conscious design choice, and for others still pixel art is the best thing since sliced bread. More often than not, games that utilize this style get labelled or self-label as ‘retro.’ Is that really fair?
Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar - Shroud of the Avatar Forums
As of October 2019 Austin-based production studio Catnip Games has acquired the operating assets of Portalarium, Inc. primary of which is Shroud of the Avatar.

Commenting about the acquisition, Richard Garriott noted “We’re immensely grateful to the community who has built this game with us. The community’s support and participation remains strong and growing, and Starr and I plan to continue being involved in the community and within the game.”

Starr Long, the executive producer of Shroud of the Avatar, also commented on the acquisition; noting that “Chris has successfully led the design and the team for many years, he is an all-star A player.”

Chris Spears added that “The development team remains with the project, and we plan to continue with the established patterns of regular releases, frequent live broadcasts, community events, release parties, and a development cadence focused on both constantly improving the core game, while also working towards Episode 2.”

Phoenix Point for XCOM Fans - Exploration

In this video, we take a look at exploration on the Geoscape, Phoenix Point's strategic layer. We see how players can proactively discover mission-sites and story events.
Phoenix Point - New Jericho Faction Trailer

Charismatic individualist Tobias West leads New Jericho, a group dedicated to eradicating the alien threat and restoring the Earth to exclusive human control. New Jericho maintains the world's most advanced technology and has a vast arsenal of powerful weapons that the Phoenix Project can access -- if they agree to an alliance. However, accepting New Jericho's philosophy may mean rejecting a deeper understanding of the alien threat.
Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace DLC Release Date Announced - Steam
Picking up immediately after the events of "Call of the Tenebrae", you and your companions are stunned when the mythical, long lost Elves suddenly resurface on a remote island! But surprise quickly turns to alarm as the Elves reemergence brings a secret from the past with sinister echoes of the Tenebrae Order’s ancient evil! Now, with evil bearing down on the land and the unity of the races broken, the Shattered Embrace may spell doom for all of Antaloor!

It is funny how two people can read the same thing but come to completely different understanding of what the person said.

Seems he thinks good reviews should translate to copies sold.

These games have a small audience compared to, say, Outer Worlds - which is very heavily inspired by a game that had a dozen million copies shipped within 24 hours.

Can that audience grow? I'm sure it could - but I'd say there's a pretty rigid cap that is extremely hard to exceed if you make throwback games.

A new game from Obsidian announcement in cca 6 hours from now - VG247
Daniel Ahmad, video game industry analyst with a solid track record when it comes to insider information, has revealed a few of the big bombs Microsoft is planning to drop later today on the X019 Inside Xbox episode.

We’ll be seeing one new IP from both Obsidian, and Rare unveiled on Inside Xbox. He also believes that Ninja Theory’s Bleeding Edge will get a release date. Update: Bleeding Edge’s release date has leaked.

Sadly it's worse than that. It's mmo.

Says its playable alone or with 3 friends in co-op. I cant consider that an MMO. Maybe it would be helpful if you started calling them JMMO”S ( Joxer massively multiplayer online)

4 player co-op falls a little short of the “massively”

Having said that Obsidian is quickly becoming an irrelevant studio to me with this and the outer worlds. Not sure how much is them and how much is Microsoft influence.

Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace DLC Release Date Announced
I demand a federal investigation! It was crazy enough to see the first DLC come out. A second??? Is this some weird money laundering scheme??

Sadly it's worse than that. It's mmo.
No…..the force cries out in despair.:(

56b461a4c43e7592664ccbf0389f4755--office-buildings-movember.jpg

Gods it's a damn Fortnite clone…:mad:

Last edited:
Diablo 4 - Gameplay & Developer Interview

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York Releasing Soon

Crusader Kings 3 - How Focus and Genetics Shape A Ruler
Alaloth - Champions of The Four Kingdoms Story Trailer

Wildermyth Released for Steam Early Access - Steam

I think it was announced a long time ago and the general thought is they are trying to use two world ii success to make money for two world iii

I demand a federal investigation! It was crazy enough to see the first DLC come out. A second??? Is this some weird money laundering scheme??

How RPG studio Obsidian ended up making a survival game - PCGamer
"Everyone here loves RPGs, but we're all gamers and we try everything. And survival games started to resonate a lot more in the industry, and people were playing them and really enjoying it. And we wanted to kind of explore it: This is kind of a genre that would be interesting to dabble in, and maybe we can find a way to make something that had Obsidian DNA mixed with the survival game. We knew that if we wanted to have a smaller team and do more experimental stuff, that this fit very well with that."

Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are coming to Xbox One - VG247
Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, originally console exclusives on PS4, are heading to Xbox One.
All three will be available on the Microsoft Store and with Xbox Game Pass for console and Xbox Game Pass for PC (beta) in early 2020.
While all titles are available on PC, this will be the first time the series will be made available on an Xbox console.
Single-Player Games are Thriving, and Live Service Games Are Not - OnlySP
This past week saw a slew of financial reports from companies. In particular, Take-Two Interactive noted that both Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds performed well. Borderlands 3 sold 5 million copies in its first week post launch, which is up 50 percent from Borderlands 2. Additionally, Take-Two said The Outer Worlds was a critical and commercial success, exceeding sales expectations.
In other great news for single player games, Capcom said that Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5, and Monster Hunter World have sold incredibly well and the company is looking to revive its old IP. Publisher Focus Home Interactive also stated that Greedfall and A Plague Tale: Innocence drove tremendous growth. These reports show that single-player experiences are vital to the industry.
Wreckfest drives games revenue up 117% at Embracer Group - GamesIndustry
THQ Nordic changed its name to Embracer Group in August this year, presumably to create distance between itself and subsidiary publishing label THQ Nordic.
In the three months ended September 30, 2019, Embracer Group's games division earned SEK 816 million (€76.3 million), up 117% over the previous year. The games division -- which includes the labels Deep Silver, THQ Nordic and Coffee Stain -- was buoyed by the launch of Wreckfest and the strong performance of its catalogue titles.
Embracer's various companies have 86 games in development, 49 of which have not been announced at this time. In the quarter ending on December 31, 2019, the key releases will be Shenmue III (Deep Silver) and Darksiders Genesis (THQ Nordic).

Last edited:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 - PDXCON Recap

For those of you who weren't able to join us in Funkhaus, Berlin for PDXCON 2019 we've put together a little something, sharing some highlights of the talks and presentations from the Bloodlines 2 team.
DISCO ELYSIUM - Meet the Scab Leader

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Release Delayed Again - Announcement

Last edited:
Wasn't that survival game in development before the Microsoft deal? Or do you mean obsidian is bad for Microsoft :)

Sigh. That survival game from Obsidian. Doesn't bode well for Microsoft's direction. At all.

Seems it was Obsidians idea and they were working on it before the Microsoft acquisition. I suppose one could maybe argue Microsoft’s money made it possible but it seems the idea was all obsidians.

My initial thoughts were hard pass, but after reading the article ill keep an eye on it and see how it turns out.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-rpg-studio-obsidian-ended-up-making-a-survival-game/

I play tons of survival games but can't say this one grabs my attention at all.

Path of Exile 2 Official Trailer

Path of Exile 2 Gameplay Preview

Disco Elysium Review - Gamebanshee
If you decide to play Disco Elysium, chances are it will resonate with you unlike any video game that came before it. And if not, at the very least you'll be getting a great hard-boiled mystery powered by a unique role playing system. Sure, some things could have been done better and there's plenty of room for nitpicking, but at the end of the day, Disco Elysium is a fantastic game and a once in a lifetime experience that sets a new bar for video game writing. And as a result, I can't recommend it enough.
BioWare Plans a Complete Overhaul of Anthem? - Kotaku
Recent silence and a couple of high-profile departures from BioWare have led fans and pundits to speculate that the studio has abandoned its most recent game, Anthem, but the opposite is true. For the last few months, BioWare and parent company EA have been planning an overhaul of the online shooter, according to three people familiar with those plans. Some call it “Anthem 2.0” or “Anthem Next.”
Obsidian one year after Acquisition - Eurogamer
I visited Obsidian Entertainment a couple of weeks ago for the reveal of the studio's first game for new owner Microsoft. If you remember, The Outer Worlds was published by Private Division, Take-Two's label for partnering with independent studios (Obsidian was independent when the deal was made). This was, then, a significant moment.

The game itself was a bit of an anti-climax - Grounded, a small-team survival game with a Honey I Shrunk the Kids hook - but I still got an opportunity to nose around the studio and see what changed post-acquisition and since I visited in August 2017.

The answer, in a nutshell, is "not a lot", which is encouraging. Obsidian still resides in the same office block in the eerily perfect city of Irvine, California, and still occupies the same amount of office space. It's still a bit tatty, which I like, and the only real sign there's now Microsoft money behind the studio is a pile of boxes with computers and monitors in them.

Back
Top Bottom