Dragon Commander - Review @ EuroGamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
EuroGamer has a new review for Dragon Commander giving the game a 7/10.

Everything in Dragon Commander (aside from these bosoms) is slightly underdeveloped. Still, what Larian has created is a coherent and idiosyncratic game that's remarkably enjoyable if you're a strategy fan who wants something less po-faced than the Total War series. None of the individual elements is particularly good but, together, they form something that's a lot more entertaining than you might expect; perhaps more entertaining than it deserves to be. Avoid the boring battles and instead focus on grand strategy and gay rights, and you'll find fun, imperfection, character, lovely visuals and occasional plot surprises in this ridiculous and very colourful game.
More information.

DC has plummeted rather quickly on the steam sales charts and is now out of the top 50 (lower than shadowrun returns, e.g., which is #40). Inspite of overall pretty favorable reviews. I hope it sold enough to not get Larian in trouble.

I touched upon the challenge of selling this game in my review - and sadly, it seems I had a point :(

DC has plummeted rather quickly on the steam sales charts and is now out of the top 50 (lower than shadowrun returns, e.g., which is #40). Inspite of overall pretty favorable reviews. I hope it sold enough to not get Larian in trouble.

Yes but Shadowrun mostly sold on steam, DC (hopefully) had good chunk of sales from GoG and Larian vault.

Well whoops, it just jumped back to #31 - apparently Eurogamer is moving some sales here.

@nameless one: true, but in all charts of indie game sales I have seen that included steam, steam was at least 70% of sales…

Well whoops, it just jumped back to #31 - apparently Eurogamer is moving some sales here.
That is good news let's hope this trend lasts.

@nameless one: true, but in all charts of indie game sales I have seen that included steam, steam was at least 70% of sales…

True, but that might not apply to Larian since lot of people have already bought rest of Divinity series on GoG and they are most likely to get DC there, but I might just be too optimistic.

I doubt it does very well on GOG. Quite frankly, GOG is a joke for anything other than old games. It took them a whole week to put ap an update for Dragon Commander (after Larian gave a patch to their QA team) for example. The second problem is, that the game is so much more expensive than other titles, that GOG sells. A 40 dollar game isn't going to sell well on GOG no matter what (Witcher 2 was probably the only exception so far, but it was an AAA+ game, that got a lot of coverage).

I doubt it does very well on GOG. Quite frankly, GOG is a joke for anything other than old games. It took them a whole week to put ap an update for Dragon Commander (after Larian gave a patch to their QA team) for example. The second problem is, that the game is so much more expensive than other titles, that GOG sells. A 40 dollar game isn't going to sell well on GOG no matter what (Witcher 2 was probably the only exception so far, but it was an AAA+ game, that got a lot of coverage).

I think we'll have to see - there's a bunch of kickstarters coming that will probably end up on GOG, Dragon Commander just happens to be ahead of the wave so probably is breaking the ice a little.

Unfortunately DC doesn't seem to get any traction at all. On other forums the game is simply not happening, and even here nobody seems to be playing it.

Unfortunately DC doesn't seem to get any traction at all. On other forums the game is simply not happening, and even here nobody seems to be playing it.

Maybe it was released just the wrong side of the steam summer sale - everyone is bargain hunting it seems.

Also, you still can't buy it from retailers like Amazon it seems. A lot of people in the UK still use mail order. Maybe they'll get a distributor down the line.

I'm playing it, just not talking about it.

I got it on the Kickstarter and plan to play it next. Looks fun. :)

Daniel.

That's because it is just an average game.

That's because it is just an average game.

I don't think it's average game, Everything about game is either above or bellow standards.Writing is very good, choices are very interesting.On the other hand RTS battles are bellow competition and map design is just bad imo, but dragon is very well implemented into it.Tactical map is simplistic but everything about it works well.One of those games you either love or hate.

Back
Top Bottom