ES4: Oblivion - Add-On for Nehrim Mod Announced!

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Developer SureAI announced an add-on for their excellent Oblivion total conversion Nehrim. According to GamersGlobal takes place a short time after the events in the main game.
More information.

You're kidding me? An add-on for that huge mod? If someone in the biz doesn't hire this team then they're missing out on some great talent.

You're kidding me? An add-on for that huge mod? If someone in the biz doesn't hire this team then they're missing out on some great talent.

Fully agree. However, at least in the past they unfortunately announced (read that on their forums) that they don't plan to continue as a team and as professional game developers. I hope they reconsider. At least this addon indicates that they are still working together at the moment.

I'd disagree. The landscape and dungeon designs are lightyears better. The quests? Not so much. The main quest? Again, not so much. I really enjoyed Nehrim and it's a good mod, but it really isn't any better than Oblivion. It really isn't any worse either though. There is about zero choices in the main quest for Nehrim. It is 100% linear and it's a very boring quest. I'd say Oblivion has more interesting quests but that Nehrim has much better level scaling and that overall it's a wash. Nehrim also decided to add platform jumper type sections that are ridiculous and out of place.

I can't really get excited about a high level expansion for Nehrim. First of all, high level TES games are dull. The game is at its best at low and mid levels. Second, it took them years and years to release the first mod. By the time the expansion gets translated, we could very well be playing TES V. Third, I would have much rather seen the team tackle something with the Fallout New Vegas GECK.

Last edited:
You heard wrong. Very wrong…
It's leagues better than Oblivion. The quests, the storyline, the dungeon design, the landscape design,… Everything is better, a lot better.

I agree. This mod made me dig up my old copy of Oblivion and I enjoyed every bit of it! However, what I would like to see more than anything else is an English voice over version

I heard that the nehrim mod wasnt that good?
Based on my 10 hours spent with Nehrim, I´d say I agree with what you heard.

A lot of Oblivion mechanics is still there, writing is mostly sketchy and dull, voice acting largely terrible, npcs are lifeless, AI nonexistent, monsters unimaginative (scamps renamed to kobolds huh), quests rely largely on scripted sequences and offer very little in terms of choices and progression in them feels often awkwardly forced, you often hit an invisible wall in places where it doesn´t really make sense.
The game also utilizes weird unlevelled-monster system - it´s area based, upon entering a new area you´re informed at which level range you should tackle it, and it feels rather artificial.
Positives are world design, dungeon design (though few optionals I´ve visited weren´t really much better than in Oblivion), scarcity of resources and occasionally interesting puzzle. The game also has rather atmospheric start.

As a mod, it´s certainly an impressive achievement, as a game … not so much.

As I said, these impressions are based only on a limited playtime (did some exploration, progressed in main quest a bit, reached the capital, got terminally bored afterwards), so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I'm really glad to hear some commentary on this other than "it's great"

Most reviews and opinions I've read have been anchored around the fact that it's huge, ambitious and free. I haven't played it yet, but I'm happy to hear some more opinions.

Ovenall, I'm tooting my own here, but I had an earlier thread where I was pretty enthusiastic about the game. It starts out pretty well and there are some very nice pieces to the mod. What makes the game fun is the sandbox mode. Most of the dungeons are moderate sized and there's several sets of equipment that you earn through exploration. This is all done very well.

Unfortunately, the main quest is lame. You won't care for any of the NPC's, except possibly one. The German to English is acceptable, but not great. I agree with great mod, but not as good as a full game.

Second, it took them years and years to release the first mod in English. By the time the expansion gets translated, we could very well be playing TES V.

You are wrong. It took them more or less exactly four months. The German version came out June 2010, the English version September 2010.

That's years and years in computer time :D A computer only lives about 3-4 human years. So say about 20 computer years for one human year. Four months is about 6 computer years and that's just too long to wait.

Actually though, I was talking about the total time it took to make the mod. For me, the mod took years and years to release, and even extra time to be released in English. That would have been a better way for me to say it. What I was getting at is that a large expansion will be quite time consuming and probably not worth it for the average user. Now if this is a DLC-sized mod, then no big deal. But then again, why even bother announcing for something as small as a DLC?

I haven't played Nehrim in the last few months, but the last time I played it wasn't even fully complete. There were quests missing and reams of English text that hadn't been finished. Basically, it was main-quest-completable type of finished, not polished. I'm not sure if they ever cleaned it up. If not, then building an expansion doesn't make sense until they actually polish the first project. This is a group of modders though. The can say "done enough" at any time and that's cool.

Still, thanks for correcting my poor wording, ulixes. I've corrected it in the post you quoted, so it reads slightly better.

I read about the mod and it was stated they the voice overs are only in german.Is this true?I hated vanilla oblivion and might give this a try.

I personally enjoyed Nehrim although I consider many of the complaints justified, I still feel that this was a wonderful labour of love and well worth a try if you enjoy RPGs. I am slightly concerned that there were incomplete quests in the mod and I wonder if the new release is just a way of completing all the missing content alongside a few additional quests. That has been done on many full price releases after all.

Aiji Ma

Omg I have only wonderful things to say about the mod.

However, it definately isn't for people who like 'consolized' RPGs like Fable.

I haven't played enough Nehrim to give a very informed view, but my impression was very positive and the English translation (and the writing it's translating) is much better than other rpg translations. Only the English native language games have better writing as far as I can recall, and in fact I'm not sure about all of those :)

No English voice-overs at all, but I agree that most of the translations are pretty good. If you like Oblivion and thought it could be improved with a touch of Gothic, then Nehrim is the game to play.

I'm currently in a play thorough of Nehrim and really like it. I'm only about level 14 and have enjoyed it far more than Oblivion.

I liked the fact that they labeled all of the regions to what level you play them as.
Some of the scripting like the trap where the north sends a bunch of logs rolling down on the midlanders was funner than anything I recall in morrowind or oblivion (though I never played Oblivion all of the way through) and did not expect from a mod. It certainly has its rough spots and not everything is translated to English though I suspect everything important is but I have no problems with it.

Not sure I'm interested in the addon as I've yet to finish Nehrim if the quality is similar then I would certainly give it go.

Back
Top Bottom