Shadowrun Returns - First Look Video and Backer Level Upgrade

Looks like a good game, somehow missed seeing this one before.

Without a physical copy there doesn't seem like much point in going beyond the basic ($15) preorder. Funny marketing that.

I'm so happy I backed this. Looks completely awesome. <3

Sadly this is what CDProjeckt's Cycberpunk game should be like. But it won't.

HELL NO :S

As much as I like isometric turn-based games, I desperately need an immersive, open 3D world. And CDProjeckt can definitely deliver on that!

HELL NO :S

As much as I like isometric turn-based games, I desperately need an immersive, open 3D world. And CDProjeckt can definitely deliver on that!

They can? I hope they can, but there has been no evidence that they have in the past. I do hope so though.

They can? I hope they can, but there has been no evidence that they have in the past. I do hope so though.

The Witcher series has always been that way for me. And for quite a lot of other people as well :)

The Witcher series has always been that way for me. And for quite a lot of other people as well :)

Well they were good games, not without their problems, but still good. Not open world at all though.

Well they were good games, not without their problems, but still good. Not open world at all though.

Yes, you are completely correct about the games not being open world. My bad!

It's just that when I played them, they were so immersive that the fact that I was playing in a closed off section of the world never crossed my mind. At the time of playing the first Witcher, I was thinking If CDProjekt were to make a truly open world game (which of course now they are!), it would be mind-blowing :)

Hey, I'm an optimist! :D

Anyway, I'd rather not derail the thread. This is about Shadowrun Returns. And I can't wait to hear more about it. The gameplay video is just fantastic. Hopefully the game won't be too short.

Yes, you are completely correct about the games not being open world. My bad!

It's just that when I played them, they were so immersive that the fact that I was playing in a closed off section of the world never crossed my mind. At the time of playing the first Witcher, I was thinking If CDProjekt were to make a truly open world game (which of course now they are!), it would be mind-blowing :)

Hey, I'm an optimist! :D

Anyway, I'd rather not derail the thread. This is about Shadowrun Returns. And I can't wait to hear more about it. The gameplay video is just fantastic. Hopefully the game won't be too short.

Well I'm a pessimist. Not everyone wants or loves open world games.:p

Back on topic myself the game looks good. I'm getting a fallout combat vibe from the video. Can't wait for the final version.

The Witcher games are completely open within their chapters. The only difference between them and something like TES or Two Worlds is that the traversable areas are obviously much smaller. It's just a matter of making one large area instead of multiple smaller areas. It's not as if they're suddenly making a completely different type of game.

On that subject, I'm curious how the levels are going to be designed in Shadowrun. Is it one large world with multiple areas like a Baldur's Gate or Fallout?

i'm so simple i care only about the perspective ^^. I'm hte happiest camper i guess. Missed you so much isometry <3

The problem is that you have this reversed. It's being developed for the PC with a port to the tablet. From what I've seen I don't see any "limitations" whatsoever, you have an isometric TB RPG that looks like the original Fallout or Jagged Alliance 2. Don't see any supposed limitations whatsoever.

No, I said IF it has been developed for tablets - because I honestly don't know what their process has been. Joxer suggested it was the case - and I explained why it might put someone off the game.

However, if they intend to port it for tablets - they're probably developing the PC version with the portability in mind as there's no reason to go with tablet except for opportunism, which means they don't want to give the tablet version a low priority - and we'll end up with the same limitations. Whether that will hurt the game itself - that remains to be seen, but I'd say the chances are extremely high. There's only so much you can do with a tablet game - and unless you want to give yourself a major headache - you're not going to develop two completely different games at once.

As for the game itself, I'm not a fan of the character art style - and I especially don't like the glow around them. Not sure if that's something that's likely to change - but I've seen nothing from the game that really appeals to me, so far.

That's why I haven't been following it. It might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

I was browsing RPGCodex and found a post with 2 videos of a Shadowrun Returns panel. Apparently similar to the video in the news-post but with audience Q&A.

Videos linked below for convenience:

Part 1

Part 2

I was browsing RPGCodex and found a post with 2 videos of a Shadowrun Returns panel. Apparently similar to the video in the news-post but with audience Q&A.

Videos linked below for convenience:

Part 1

Part 2
Thanks I'll give them a watch.:thumbsup:

Looks quite similar to Wasteland 2. I'll probably play both, but W2 looks quite a bit better IMOP, at least in a comparison of the vids they've shown so far.

However, if they intend to port it for tablets - they're probably developing the PC version with the portability in mind as there's no reason to go with tablet except for opportunism, which means they don't want to give the tablet version a low priority - and we'll end up with the same limitations. Whether that will hurt the game itself - that remains to be seen, but I'd say the chances are extremely high. There's only so much you can do with a tablet game - and unless you want to give yourself a major headache - you're not going to develop two completely different games at once.

You're describing exactly what Unity's great strength is: portability. I wouldn't be fussed about it. Performance and engine won't be a problem. Art style is what it is. That they'll port the game later tells me the UI will be PC centric and *then* they'll do a mobile adaptation. Maybe creating a few software hooks for when it comes time, but that would likely be it.

As for the game itself, I'm not a fan of the character art style - and I especially don't like the glow around them. Not sure if that's something that's likely to change - but I've seen nothing from the game that really appeals to me, so far. That's why I haven't been following it. It might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

I dunno. That's been the 80's punk style Shadowrun had since the first PnP was published by FASA. It's a very "Total Recall-esque" world. Maybe the setting itself doesn't appeal to you.

You're describing exactly what Unity's great strength is: portability. I wouldn't be fussed about it. Performance and engine won't be a problem. Art style is what it is. That they'll port the game later tells me the UI will be PC centric and *then* they'll do a mobile adaptation. Maybe creating a few software hooks for when it comes time, but that would likely be it.

Portability won't get you past the UI issues - which is the primary problem with tablet vs PC.

If you're going to make a turn-based RPG of any complexity - you're going to face the UI on tablets and that's a hard one. Because people are using their thick fingers to interact with the game - and that makes it a challenge to create an old-school experience with a lot of stats and tactical options - done with a touch-based interface.

Beyond that, tablets are seriously limited in terms of CPU and GPU power - which means the AI will have to be equally limited and you can't have a game where a lot of visual effects are going off. If you've played any of the so-called best turn-based games on tablets - you'd know how simplistic they ALL are.

Heck, look at the new X-Com and you'll see how even console hardware will severely limit complexity of a modern turn-based game. If it wasn't for consoles - you wouldn't have tiny levels with enemies popping out of nowhere - because they needed to hold back AI and the memory footprint.

Unfortunately, there are several limitations that you just can't circumvent.

I'm not saying it's impossible to pull of a meaty and complex RPG on a tablet - I'm just saying I've yet to see one.

Baldur's Gate would be the exception - but it's also an archaic PC game using 2D assets rather than a modern one using 3D technology.

If this Shadowrun game turns out to be at the Baldur's Gate level - then it might be great. But that remains to be seen. I'm just sceptical.

I dunno. That's been the 80's punk style Shadowrun had since the first PnP was published by FASA. It's a very "Total Recall-esque" world. Maybe the setting itself doesn't appeal to you.

I love the setting. I don't remember cartoonish looking characters with a glow around them when I played PnP.

Anyway, we'll see when the game comes out.

Looks quite similar to Wasteland 2. I'll probably play both, but W2 looks quite a bit better IMOP, at least in a comparison of the vids they've shown so far.

Different art styles, I guess. It probably doesn't hurt that Wasteland 2 made 50% more money.

Back
Top Bottom