Two Worlds II - Reviews Roundup #3

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A small group of three Two Worlds II reviews this time. First, Destructoid is enthusiastic with an intro that would have easily suited the first game (8/10):
Two Worlds II is not the best made game in the world, and if you have even a modicum of intuition, you'd have already guessed that. Two Worlds II knows it's never going to be an Elder Scrolls or a Diablo, but it does its thing regardless, without apology and without remorse. This plucky, heartfelt, can-do attitude permeates the game experience to create something that, truth be told, is pretty damn great.
Yes, you read that correctly. Two Worlds II is a great game. Its animations are awful, its combat loose, its voice acting ludicrous and its story inane. Yet somehow, it manages to become a rewarding, engrossing, absorbing experience at the same time, and the most amazing part is that you'll never see it coming.
A site called That Videogame Blog also enjoyed it, comparing the game to a likeable "B" movie:
If you had any interest in the original, you will be happy to know that many of the problems with the first were fixed, and much has been added to give Two Worlds II a fuller, richer experience. Yet the game still has problems that will frustrate the uninitiated. If you’re a fan of this genre already, you’re set. Go have yourself a ball with this game, there’s lots to love. If you’re new to the genre though, you might be overwhelmed by a somewhat steep learning curve, a host of technical issues that range from silly to debilitating, and a story that doesn’t exactly “wow” you. Who knows, if you stick with it long enough, you may grow to like it or even love it. To be honest, I don’t think this game was ever really meant to be a “best of the year” contender. Rather, this is a game to have fun with, to enjoy, and accept its limitations; it’s a “B movie”, in videogame form, and who doesn’t love a good “B movie” every now and then?
GamingAllTheTime says if you don't enjoy this game, you're not a truegamer (9.5/10):
Two Worlds II wants you to know that the debacle of the first game is in the past. There is a fun, meaty, and worthwhile game here just dying for your attention. Don’t let the bad taste of a prior sampling ruin the feast of sequel goodness. Two Worlds II is worth every single minute and dollar. People who don’t enjoy this game aren’t true gamers, because everything about Two Worlds II just screams fun. And what reason is there to play games, other than for fun? Don’t be that guy. Pick up Two Worlds II. You will be glad you did.
Thanks to Omega and Ovenall for these links!
More information.

Hooray! My first mention on the front page.

Keep in mind that the Destructoid reviewer is notoriously, uh, controversial in his reviews. Sometimes surprisingly negative about games that generally got good reviews. From what I've read of the site, he's often a champion of lesser known games and developers. And that he played it on an Xbox.

Keep in mind that the Destructoid reviewer is notoriously, uh, controversial in his reviews. Sometimes surprisingly negative about games that generally got good reviews. From what I've read of the site, he's often a champion of lesser known games and developers. And that he played it on an Xbox.

Not to sound like an asshole, but I absolutely hate Destructoid. Controversial is precisely the sort of description a lot of the reviewers WANT you to call them. Most of their reviews are written because the reviewers want to sound smart or overtly-opinionated. I generally disregard the blog, as I find it very unprofessional. Other websites, like RockPaperShotgun manage to combine the personal with the professional. Destructoid fails miserably in that department if you ask me.

I'm grateful to Sterling (Destructoid) for drawing my attention to Deadly Premonition, which turned out to be one of my favorite games of the last few years. I doubt that a more traditional write-up would have captured my interest the way his review did.

I'm not a big fan of Destructoid either. I agree that it seems that they try too hard to be considered edgy. I read a lot of blogs, and I have to give them credit for not being complete industry suck-ups, and maintaining some independence.

Jim Sterling (the reviewer of TW2 on Destructoid) turned me on to "Enslaved" for Xbox, which was a very nice game that was very well done, beautiful and fun to play. It's an action/platformer, definitely not an RPG. But it had gorgeous, creative visuals and was just plain fun.

Back
Top Bottom