What are you reading?

Finished The Lord Of The Rings yesterday … It was my I think 5th read-through since the mid-80s (one time in English around the change of the Millennium).

Which reminds me, I'm a long overdue with a re-read of the entire "series" (starting with the Silm).

Still struggling through Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun myself, at the moment. It's a bit of a slow read, and very terse, but at times it can be captivating.

Right now I'm reading the Snowman, by Jo Nesbo. I'm about a third of the way through, and enjoying it immensely. I'd call it quite the readable thriller.

So the book sets the stage for the second in the trilogy, Abyssal Warriors, which I'm reading next. I wish there were more Planescape setting novels, but I guess there's at least one more beyond this trilogy. It's a really great setting for novels.

I did even not know than there were novels on that setting before reading your posts. Thank you for the tip.
I bought the sourcebooks after a second replay of Torment. They are now available in digital format and the ones describing Sigil were quite nice.

I did even not know than there were novels on that setting before reading your posts. Thank you for the tip.
I bought the sourcebooks after a second replay of Torment. They are now available in digital format and the ones describing Sigil were quite nice.

No problem. There is a trilogy that I'm reading now (halfway through the second book and it's great so far), and then there is another one-shot novel set in the Planescape setting. That one may actually be more based on the game than anything (PS:T, I mean) as it has The Nameless One on the cover. I have to grab that one soon.

As for the sourcebooks, are you talking about the D&D books/manuals? I am starting to collect physical copies of those, and they are grrreat as well. I have the Blood War box set and it comes with a really dope comic book, and several other books which are detailed and interesting, too.

Last tip, grab the Planescape bestiaries, too. I have the Monster Compendium II so far (there are 3 total) and it's pretty amazing. The artwork is top notch and it has all the lore you could want for some really crazy creatures.

Another series I'm reading is Broken World. Book 3 (the final in the series) comes out in 3 weeks. Fantastic set of books (well the first 2; can't comment on the third one yet).

I know I'm late to the party with this, but I recently finished the Wheel of Time series. I had to start from the beginning since there were too many characters and story lines for me to remember, although that didn't really help since I forgot a lot of the characters by the end of the series anyway. It took me about a year and a half, although I was also reading other books at the same time. I couldn't go all in with WoT like I had planned to.

I'm happy and satisfied to be done. The Last Battle was better than I expected, but the very ending seemed... a bit of a let down.

Anyway, rest in peace Mr. Jordan. You've earned it.

I have just finished "The Bear and the Nightingale" by Katherine Arden - Wow!!

As per my review on Goodreads:

It is very rare for me that when I get close to the end of a book that I start finding other things to do rather than actually finish the book as I am enjoying it so much! And, for the first time in a long while, this is what I found myself doing as I got close to finishing "The Bear and the Nightingale".
The story, set in the 14th century in Northern Russia, is about the impact of the spread of Christianity on the old beliefs and old spirits and gods. The main character, a teenage girl, can see and interact with the old spirits, to the fear and distress of many people. As the story progresses, the powers and roles of the old spirits become both clearer and also more threatening. To say much more would spoil the story!
The novel is just beautifully written. Seemingly effortless, lyrical prose and believable characters that are both finely drawn as required and just described in broad terms when that is appropriate. The environment is a key character, and I shiver as I think about the Russian winter and the lot of most people during that time, all brought to life by the author. The story is well paced, and the conclusion is both satisfying and leaves room for further novels in the milieu.
I, for one, am very much looking forward to further works by the author and I am so pleased that I have read the book.

So I have a stack of books from the library on hand now to dive into since I've finished the Alera series, and the first book from that pile I've now just finished, called Sand, by Hugh Howey. I think it was a collection of either short stories or novellas, and then when they were complete they got bound up into novel form. I really enjoyed the setting and the story, it seemed all too brief to me, if he should ever write more in this world/series, I would pay for them.

It's amazing how much having a kid can cut into your reading time. :p I used to read a book every week or two, now I'm lucky if it's one every three months.

Anyhow, I'm currently re-reading "Heroes Die" by Matthew Woodring Stover. Not necessarily a masterwork of modern literature, but it has an interesting concept and it's not the typical high-fantasy garbage. The ending is a bit of a letdown, but most of the book is thoroughly gripping.

Finally finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Took me a while because of the long passages of introspection by the protagonist, but it's a good read nonetheless.

The premise is unique. A totalitarian civilization armed for expansion by groups of "corpse soldiers" whose minds are subsumed and parts of spaceship AIs run by human independent officers who belong to their own class system. The protagonist is such a "corpse soldier" who of course while controlled develops a mind of it's own. Very interesting study of mind control and shared consciousness.

Just finished for the second time:

The Curse of Chalion
by Lois McMaster Bujold

Such excellent characters and story, and tight well woven plot. I still haven't read the sequel (Paladin of Souls)

Stanislaw Lem - Solaris
Really curious what this will turn out.

Have finished "The Elven" by Bernhard Hennen, which was a very quick and entertaining read. Guy has lots of good ideas. At some points I was thinking this is good stuff for a movie/tv show.

Stopped reading "Gene Wolfe - New Sun" (the first book) after maybe 1/3...- maybe I am too impatient. Did not read much the last years, so my current "reading restart" needs… easier…catchy… stuff.

Last edited:
I finished the Witness a few days ago, by Nora Roberts. It was a pretty decent thriller-type book. Now I'm reading the Alibi, by Sandra Brown, which is also a thriller, set in Charleston among some swanky elite folks.

I'm reading "Call of Fire" which is Beth Cato's latest (2nd in series). Alternate fantasy with excellent characters, plots, world building and an interesting magic system. I'm enjoying it very much.

I am starting the Riftwar Saga, first book Magician:Apprentice, by Raymond E. Feist, a fellow UCSD graduate.

I've read good things about this series, and am hoping to be engaged. :)

I know I'm late to the party with this, but I recently finished the Wheel of Time series. I had to start from the beginning since there were too many characters and story lines for me to remember, although that didn't really help since I forgot a lot of the characters by the end of the series anyway. It took me about a year and a half, although I was also reading other books at the same time. I couldn't go all in with WoT like I had planned to.

I'm happy and satisfied to be done. The Last Battle was better than I expected, but the very ending seemed… a bit of a let down.

Anyway, rest in peace Mr. Jordan. You've earned it.

I actually liked the ending, or at least now I do! It kind of grows on you I guess, or at least it might....

Back
Top Bottom