Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC

Not sure what you mean by "graphics whores", I don't know that term.
It's a derogatory insult to a sub section of gamer's.

Link - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/graphics_whore
Link - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=graphics%20whore

They care more about graphics then game-play.
Typically I update the GPU after 3-4 years, and I'm never buying the latest ones, so the price is reasonable. It won't cope with all options at "FULL" on flight sims like DCS, but for most other games it's fine.
Good luck as every GPU old and new is marked up three times it's MSRP. So yeah not reasonable anymore unless you get a cheap bidding price on E-Bay or Alibaba.

Good luck as every GPU old and new is marked up three times it's MSRP. So yeah not reasonable anymore unless you get a cheap bidding price on E-Bay or Alibaba.
Right now it's pretty insane ;)
But the point is, except rare game that are very demanding, it's usually fine even when the graphics card isn't the latest high-end type.

Right now it's pretty insane ;)
But the point is, except rare game that are very demanding, it's usually fine even when the graphics card isn't the latest high-end type.
So true still using my trusty XFX 8GB RX 590 Fatboy from three years ago. Tried to update to a 5700XT this year, but damn I'm not paying over $1,000 just to upgrade my GPU.

It seems the trick this year is to buy pre-built PC. PC builders, be they local store or large companies such as Dell or HP, seem to have access to graphic cards at decent price.

I just want this chip shortage to end so I can get my hands on a PS5. Almost 6 months after launch, and they're still impossible to purchase at retail price without camping out.
Here (in Poland) the only way to buy a PS5 from a proper store is to pay for a 'bundle edition' which includes 5 or more PS4 games like FIFA 2019 and has an exorbitant cost.

Here (in Poland) the only way to buy a PS5 from a proper store is to pay for a 'bundle edition' which includes 5 or more PS4 games like FIFA 2019 and has an exorbitant cost.

Yeah, that's some pretty lame price gouging there. Those PS4 games probably cost them next to nothing to add to the bundle. I'm not sure if they ever had anything like that here. I've still yet to even see a PS5 in person.

By the way, according to the local newspaper, Ford has stopped production in Cologne , because of the lack of chips, at the 90th anniversary of that manufactury.

Ford stated earlier this week that it expects production to be halved this coming fiscal quarter due to the shortage.

I was a hair's breadth away from buying a 6800xt Red Devil today via Facebook Marketplace. For $1200. Which is practically MSRP. I called it off at the last minute because I can't see any situation where I wouldn't regret buying a card that isn't my first choice for over a grand.

Reality is a bit warped in the GPU space right now.

I was a hair's breadth away from buying a 6800xt Red Devil today via Facebook Marketplace. For $1200. Which is practically MSRP. I called it off at the last minute because I can't see any situation where I wouldn't regret buying a card that isn't my first choice for over a grand.

Good call. I wouldn't buy something like that off Facebook Marketplace. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a graphics card, there needs to be a return policy backing it up.

Good call. I wouldn't buy something like that off Facebook Marketplace. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a graphics card, there needs to be a return policy backing it up.

In a way, that was one of the major reasons I didn't go through with it - the manufacturer's warranty doesn't apply to anyone but the original owner w/ original receipt.

I'm still running a standard 1080, though it's overclocked out of the box a bit. I just don't play anything that requires a stronger card. Then again, I play on 24" 1920/1080 monitors.

I'm still running a standard 1080, though it's overclocked out of the box a bit. I just don't play anything that requires a stronger card. Then again, I play on 24" 1920/1080 monitors.

Same. I wanted a 3080 prior to the release of Cyberpunk 2077, but there was no way I was going to overpay for one, and I'm glad I didn't.

I've yet to play a game I can't run on at least the second-highest settings, and there's rarely any significant difference between those and the highest. I can easily see my 1080 lasting me another year if I need it to.

It's completely crazy over here at the moment. I haven't searched thoroughly, but where I've looked you can't even get a mid range GPU for a sane price.

I'm struggling along with my RX580, which I got free from an ex-miner. It barely made the grade with Cyberpunk 2077, but does pretty well in almost everything else I play. I envy you guys with your 1080s! :)

Back
Top Bottom