WoW - The Burning Crusade - Sells 3.5M

All true but what makes you believe that they might not be honest? Even a Chinese/Korean gamer who pays on an hourly basis has an account and effectively a "subscription" if he/she logs in on a regular basis. It's not like Blizzard are saying we have 8.5M x $13.xx (as a possible average subs price) subscribers. They are just saying "worldwide subscriber base". Nothing more, nothing less.
There is in fact even the remote possibility that they are not counting Chinese/Korean accounts. Maybe they are indeed only counting "real" subs. Who knows? They could be "lying" about the numbers to their own disadvantage.
I don't know what the truth is. Just saying that it's unfair to accuse them of not being honest unless you can prove it.
Well, I did not really accuse them - I just said that I have serious doubts - I have of course no proof. 8.5M seems to be rather high after 3 years of WoW. But then again I don't know much about the market in Asia...

We're arguing semantics, so I'll leave it be after this. A "subscription" implies a regular ongoing commitment to me. When a magazine shows subscription numbers, that doesn't include people who pick it up every now and then at the news stand - that's a circulation number (terminology may vary in some countries, I suppose).

I don't think someone paying 16c for one hour's access at a gaming cafe once per month (the requirement for inclusion in Blizzard's numbers: one access through a cafe in the last 30 days) is the same as a "subscriber". Say 5M subscribers plusa further 3M users or some such thing, but I don't think "subscribers" is an accurate description.

I'm so sick of the Warcraft universe. Blizzard needs to start working on the sequel to the best game they ever made, which is Starcraft.

I'm amazed it's taking them so long, that game sold 9 Million!

It's obvious. They wait until no-one can stand it anymore - and THEN they release Starcraft 2 ! :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom