God of War Ragnarok

God of War: Ragnarok | Playstation Showcase 2021

Holy hell that looks amazing. How in gods name are they running that on a PS5. Looks fantastic. Looks like the sequel (and apparently the end of this norse saga) will be up to snuf with the first game, which was also fantastic.

I can't get over how great it looks.

Some other updates:

- takes place years after the first game
- a key plot point is Atreus' true heritage
- Thor and Freya are two main antagonists
- new runes/abilities
- all 9 realms are in the game

Having all 9 realms sounds like it'll be a very meaty game. The first one was also very sizeable. And I can't imagine them only making small areas in each of the realsm.

I have the previous GoW on PS4 and my son finished it, and it was amazing on the PS4. This one seems more of the same which is quite fun, but I think that its of the same graphical quality as the older PS4 version (not that I am putting it down or anything as both look amazing).

Yeah looks amazing on PS5. And the first one also did on PS4. I understand this one will also run on PS4.

I’ll be curious as to the difference between 4 and 5.

Me too. I want to get a current gen console but they're still nigh impossible to find unless you want to do overpriced auction site crap, which I do not.

I've never seen anything like this before outside of the intentionally underproduced Nintendo consoles.

Me too. I want to get a current gen console but they're still nigh impossible to find unless you want to do overpriced auction site crap, which I do not.

I've never seen anything like this before outside of the intentionally underproduced Nintendo consoles.

I'm shocked that me, in Romania, managed to get a PS5 in January of this year, for the normal price point. And it's been gathering dust so far. Except for the ocasional Bloodborne session.

I'm shocked that me, in Romania, managed to get a PS5 in January of this year, for the normal price point. And it's been gathering dust so far. Except for the ocasional Bloodborne session.

Haha, well, I'm happy for you that you could snag one easily. I hope it ends up being more actively useful. I haven't been in any kind of hurry to get one (or a new Xbox) because really there's no software for them yet. But there will come a time, and that time sounds like it's going to be 2022, when there's a lot of stuff I want that I won't be able to get on last gen.

I've still yet to even see a PS5 in person.

One thing I've learned is that a pretty game doesn't always mean a fun, enjoyable game. And it seems to happen more often than you'd think.

In this case it's very much a lot of fun. The combat system is just the right balance, between action and tactics, without any of the button mashing of the original God of War games. I hated them for that. And all the great animations and visual/audio effects build a really visceral and kinetic experience.

Besides the combat system you also get a pseudo-open-world with exploration and puzzles like zelda/metroidvania games, with abilities with which you keep unlocking new areas.

All wrapped in a pretty good story with fantastic performances, facial/motion capture. It all screems high quality AAA. It really feels like they spared no expense, since this is deemed to be a system seller. So Sony doesn't skimp out on these.

As I said, I hated the original God of War games since they were so melodramatic and the combat system boiled down to spamming buttons. This was a fantastic reboot. That I also pays some homage to the originals.

Just talking about it, makes me want to start a playthrough. But I really want to keep myself from that, for until Ragnarok is close to release, and maybe then I'll do another playthrough.

It'll be another button smasher for PC players unless you use a controller as usual. How do I know because certain console ports over the years have terrible PC controls.

Especially the action platform game there not built for PC controls.:)

Edit: I'm referring to the possible PC ports of the series in the news lately.

God of War isn't a platformer. The climbing and such is all done via contextual buttons.
Doesn't matter it's a button smasher when ported to PC just like Uncharted will be.

Certain games just will never port well when you have to shoehorn a keyboard layout.

Most of these games with keyboard problems are Sony ports to PC.

Days gone wasn't bad but it was the first Sony port to have good PC controls.

Doesn't matter it's a button smasher when ported to PC just like Uncharted will be.

I have no idea where you got that idea. :S Uncharted is not a button masher, even on console. Why would a 3rd person shooter be a button masher? Was Days Gone a button masher?

I have no idea where you got that idea. :S Uncharted is not a button masher, even on console. Why would a 3rd person shooter be a button masher? Was Days Gone a button masher?
Again that was the first decent port from Sony and you didn't need to use many buttons anyway. It was a a shooter. Uncharted and God of War are a different story.

There are a lot of quick time events and scripted events.

Some games should just stay on consoles.

I may be proved wrong but that's just my personal opinion.

Again that was the first decent port from Sony and you didn't need to use many buttons anyway. It was a a shooter. Uncharted and God of War are a different story.

There are a lot of quick time events and scripted events.

Come to think of it, Days Gone does have particular sequences that require you to button mash. When zombies grapple with you, you need to spam certain keyboard buttons. So if that's what you're referring to, than I guess yeah, they do have button mashing mechanics.

I'm fine with those sorts of limited use cases. What I don't like is how the original GoW games did it, where pretty much every door you had to open you had to button mash. But, now that I think of it, I think that was only in the first GoW game (with regards to doors). There was plenty of other mashing, though.

I guess, what I mean to say is I'm fine with limited mashing and only in particular situations. And if it means more PS games coming to PC, I'd take them with the mashing as well.

Couchpotato said:
Some games should just stay on consoles.

I may be proved wrong but that's just my personal opinion.

Why? Personally, I'd want them all on PC. But I understand that certain games would never be made on PC. Games that have huge inflated budgets because the publishers use them as system sellers. And I'm fine with that, I guess. My main gripe is with console games that require me to aim with a controller. Like, fuck that. Worst design decision of all time. Just give me a m&k. Or at least, implement frikkin m&k support into the console games themselves. God dammit, that's lazy of them.

Back
Top Bottom