Dark Souls II - The Trouble with DLC

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Polygon's writer Chris Dahlen shared a new opinion article where he talks about the trouble with DLC for Dark Souls II.
From Software announced that Dark Souls 2 would be getting more levels this fall, but that announcement sank like a stone as people turned their attention to From’s next game, Bloodborne. We’re already on to the next thing.

I didn’t pay much attention to the news either. I finished Dark Souls 2, and I more or less enjoyed it, but I’m not lining up for more content. Dark Souls 2 felt like it was long enough, and maybe even a little too long. I don’t really need any more.

But let’s examine that for a second, because how do you know when a game is "long enough?" It’s not about the hours spent: the first Dark Souls took me around the same number of hours to finish, and I’m grateful for every one of them. It’s not about the story, either. Neither game has a story arc per se. They start, they finish, and there’s a story event about two-thirds of the way through — but that story event is more of a seventh-inning stretch, a pause to send you into the endgame.
More information.

Last edited:
This seems to be an article about what he doesn't like about dark souls 2 rather than about DLC.

Anyway I agree with him, although for different reasons that dark souls 2 wasn't nearly as enjoyable as dark souls 1. I basically ran through the last 10 to 15% of the game to get to the bosses because I just wanted it to end.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in DLC though, if they bring back some of the atmosphere from the first game and improve enemy AI rather than just throwing multiple enemies at you simultaneously to increase difficulty.

This seems to be an article about what he doesn't like about dark souls 2 rather than about DLC.

Anyway I agree with him, although for different reasons that dark souls 2 wasn't nearly as enjoyable as dark souls 1. I basically ran through the last 10 to 15% of the game to get to the bosses because I just wanted it to end.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in DLC though, if they bring back some of the atmosphere from the first game and improve enemy AI rather than just throwing multiple enemies at you simultaneously to increase difficulty.

I have tried playing DS1 after i have finished DS2 but i just cant seem to get used to the controls in DS1. Tried some mods but still key mapping was weird for me.

Can you give any tips/mods or help ?

I have tried playing DS1 after i have finished DS2 but i just cant seem to get used to the controls in DS1. Tried some mods but still key mapping was weird for me.

Can you give any tips/mods or help ?

In total seriousness, use a 360 controller. DS1 and DS2 play pretty much identically with a controller. Moreover, the combat is clearly meant for controllers. I tried mouse/keyboard for DS1, but it gives no advantages and is needlessly complex.

I know some don't embrace controllers, but that's what's great about PC: best of both worlds. Dark Souls is a lot like the new Devil may Cry: utter rubbish when played with keyboard/mouse, and that is fine IMO. Some games are made for controllers. No shame in that.

In total seriousness, only use a controller if your comfortable with it and want to. It takes a little more fiddling but both games are 100% playable with M/K. If your not used to controlling the camera with an analog stick then controlling it with the mouse is a huge advantage. It rotates faster and is more accurate.

If you use a controller often then great, but if your like me and have been using m/k for the better part of 20 years and have next to no experience with controllers then using a controller is not the best choice.

I tried a controller and I couldn't make jumps or control the camera nearly as well as I could with M/k. I wish people would stop generalizing and assuming everyone can use a controller just as well as a M/K.

Just to clarify I'm not saying M/K is better for everyone but it is better for me and whether K/M or controller is better is very much dependent on the person controlling them.

Anyway, i just used DSfix for dark souls 1 and configured my keys from there. I finished it a while ago and have since reformatted my SSD so unfortunately I can remember exactly what my key setup was. Just keep trying it out until you find a setup that fits you or you could use a controller if your more comfortable. Just don't let someone tell you that you need to because that's what the game is made for. It's just not true.

As Sakichop said, use DSfix with mousefix (which you have to use within DSfix), and re-map the keyboard to your liking. Keyboard and mouse in DS1 is more responsive than in DS2, and plays very well.

I finished DS2 recently after 110 hours of gameplay, at around level 163. I am on NG+ and boy the game is more difficult now even with my current build: enemies are stronger, more aggressive, more (computer) invasions, and require large number of souls to level up (carried over from previous game). Having said that, it is totally worth it.

DS2 is one of the best games that I played in my life.

Major drawback: raised the bar significantly on expectations from games for me.

I think the trouble with DLC only comes about if you bought the game at launch. Then the game still has to whet your appetite 6 months to a year after release. It also has to fit in to the game at a comfortable place. Is it meant to start a new game with, or to be played on or near NG+(+...)?

But I love DLC that comes all in one with a game I picked up far after release. DLC content is often a blast and novel enough that its like getting one and half or two games in one. Oh boogers, why can't they just send the DLC back in time to release?

guess i am gonna retry the DSfix with mousefix mods.
I really enjoyed DS2.

If you use a controller often then great, but if your like me and have been using m/k for the better part of 20 years and have next to no experience with controllers then using a controller is not the best choice.

Learning to use a controller is a good investment since some really great games are made for controllers. You're missing out big-time if you don't play controller-based games...why you'd want to limit yourself is unclear to me. That is all.

Learning to use a controller is a good investment since some really great games are made for controllers. You're missing out big-time if you don't play controller-based games…why you'd want to limit yourself is unclear to me. That is all.

Which games would those be?

Which games would those be?

Anything where an analog stick gives you a better control over movement. Same reason I prefer playing racing games with a steering wheel and flight sims with a joystick. Different tools for different jobs.

Anything where an analog stick gives you a better control over movement. Same reason I prefer playing racing games with a steering wheel and flight sims with a joystick. Different tools for different jobs.

I use a controller for sports and racing games but it's definitely not needed for action or ARPG's. For me at least. I have a racing wheel I got as a gift one year but have never set it up.

Back
Top Bottom