Valkyria Chronicles 4 - 1 Million Units Sold

I'm always postponing writing about this game.

When we voted for goty, I placed it on #3 spot because I didn't finish it back then, I was at halfpoint when it did look as awsome material but not better than my first two choices.
I was wrong, so forgive me, it should have been my #1 last year, but that's something I'll learn only later.

Without writing much more, just a few notes:

- the story starts as yet another case of trivial literature (Bioshock Infinite dick needed trash), only to smash your face in it's second half and will crush your heart

- coming from VC1 it does seem at first classes aren't as OP, in the second half you won't believe how OP every class can be and you'll want to try and discover every potential "godlike" stuff, remember why Saints Row 4 was fun?

- don't think your tricks will work every time, as soon as you think of an unbeatable strategy for the next mission, the game will introduce a counter mechanics and you'll have to rethink is there something else you could put to use - and there always is!

- why The Beatless made genius music? they added nostalgic themes into it! VC4 did the same thing with it's music.

- is there anything at least a bit similar to VC4 at the market? No. Except it's predecessor.

This game is a musthave. Mustplay. Mustcomplete.
Seeing it managed to sell 1M is nice, but I wish it was more. This game deserved every penny.

Yes of course I 100%-ed it! Something I don't normally do. And is a rare case when I dare to slap 10/10 on it.

No opinion sadly as I never finished Valkyria Chronicles or Valkyria Chronicles yet.:(

VC4 reminds me of Fire Emblem Three Houses in a few ways. I still prefer FE, simply because grid combat is more down my alley, and because I enjoyed the story a tad more, but definitely VC4 is a must have. Grats to them, indeed.

VC4 is a good one for sure, though I still wasn't that impressed with the story. It's a good bit better story than VC1, which felt like they were trying to tell the story of World War 2 to a five year old kid.

The story isn't the big draw for me, though - it's the battles. They actually play out quite a bit like XCOM only you're in 3rd person, over-the-shoulder mode instead of floating above it all.

I have to say the battles felt to me like too much of the same. For that reason I put it aside. Maybe I missed some game changing mechanics that come later on, but I think I bit quite deep. Maybe I give it another go ...

I find this game nearly impossible to get into...I think its the chapter way it does things...need to go back and try.

Is the game standalone, or should you play the others first ?

The game - you don't have to play anything previously.

Certain two DLC add VC1 characters and valkyria to your crew so it'd be good to play VC1 first. DLC are of course optional thus is also playing VC1.
Racism and valkyrur history are not the point of VC4, if interested in that lore, definetly play VC1 first although it happens in another country during the same war. You don't need that knowledge in VC4 story but some things will be more clear. VC4 is more interested in character traits and personalities development, but also war atrocities. You won't be aware of this much in the first half of the game unless you use a lot the same crewmember during missions who isn't a leader, for example Aulard, an ordinary engineer, which will unlock a corresponding side quest.
A hint on this - the best mission to unlock these sidemissions is the first mission in chapter 8 (use the transporter to reach the enemybase fast, then stall). In other words, grinding anything before you unlock that mission is kinda stupid.

The first half of VC4 is practically beginners' tutorial combatwise, the game gets wild in it's second half.

For likes of JDR who have to play hard difficulty the difference between normal and hard in VC4 is that your party suffers higher damage on hard. Cca a doubled damage you'd receive on normal diff. That's it.
This is mitigated by defend order which only decreases your action points per turn by 1 (if on one companion) or 2 (if on everyone) so playing VC4 on hard is if you ask me is just a hassle. You don't get any benefits from it.

VC2 and VC3 are not available on PC. VC4 and it's DLC pretend those two never existed, so forget them completely.

Forgot to say. English dub in VC4 is not as atrocious as was in VC1, but is nothing to be proud of either. Use the original VO with subs.

Last edited:
Yet another game I bought, played, and didn't get close to finishing. And that I should make another pass at some day.

Excellent game! Great story. Recommended! The finish was satisfactory as well.

Back
Top Bottom