InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG

heh Microsoft doing it's thing! I guess it's true? first person is the future, especially when VR gets better and smaller..

Count me interested. At least it's not another TB RPG.:p

Also looking forward to playing Obsidian's new open world RPG Avowed.

Depends which way it leans the heaviest, I'm not totally against shooters and I like inXile enough to at least support the product at this stage.

I'm not too thrilled because history shows that studios that attempt to make a game as good as good as Fallout end up making one as mediocre as The Outer Worlds.

But I'm happy and willing to be surprised. Let's see what they can do.

Wait, is it a first person rpg, or a first person shooter slash rpg?

FPSRPG or MMO(RPG)?

I'd say its a FPS where you can slow down time to do tactical/strategic things but otherwise its player skill based.

Looks like they are following the Fallout franchise that decided to go FPS/RPG after Fallout 2. Hopefully, they won't abandon the current Wasteland style for some future games.

I hope this means, they'll have to wrap up work on Wasteland 3 soon and declare it friggin' DONE! Then I can play it at least. I'm glad I stopped in the first city after hearing about the plans for patches + DLCs.

Seems inXile is done with production for niche audience. I expect this will be another action game with RPG elements for mainstream audience. Pity, inXile games had pretty high production values for niche games. But no surprise, at least not for me, this was inevitable outcome of MS acquisition.

Seems inXile is done with production for niche audience. I expect this will be another action game with RPG elements for mainstream audience. Pity, inXile games had pretty high production values for niche games. But no surprise, at least not for me, this was inevitable outcome of MS acquisition.

Seems to be the case when a big company purchases a studio. "We finance your games, you make them mainstream so we get our money back". Which is fair enough, just not what the fans of your old niches would prefer.

The beginning of the end. Too bad they made a couple of good tactical RPGs.

I'm not too thrilled because history shows that studios that attempt to make a game as good as good as Fallout end up making one as mediocre as The Outer Worlds.

So you are saying that they should aim lower and not try to make better games?

Seems to be the case when a big company purchases a studio. "We finance your games, you make them mainstream so we get our money back". Which is fair enough, just not what the fans of your old niches would prefer.

And the next step is where the game is a subsequent failure, as the mainstream isn't the studio's forte and the game itself, which might be OK, is lost in the sea of mainstream mediocrities. Said studio is then shut down or cannibalized by the large corporation as it moves on, careless of the wake of destruction left behind it.

I would hope that InXile would keep producing the fine kind of content that they are known for, and I'm probably very wrong. Time will tell, and this first collaboration under a new umbrella will be rather important.

So you are saying that they should aim lower and not try to make better games?

They can set realistic goals and succeed better than setting unrealistical ones and fall short. Expectations make all the difference, both for the creators and for their audience.

I would hope that InXile would keep producing the fine kind of content that they are known for, and I'm probably very wrong. Time will tell, and this first collaboration under a new umbrella will be rather important.

InXile has never done anything like this, the closest may be the Bard's Tale from 2004, which had some funny moments, but wasn't a very good action rpg, when it game to gameplay, combat et. I might give it a try if it gets good reviews, but my expectations are low, and its certainly not the kind of game I'd buy new, and I crowd funded every Inxile game Since Wasteland 2.

I'm interested in the new game - am a fan of them - but hopefully InXile will still make new games based on having a party, with an overhead isometric tactical view, it would be a shame if they abandoned that to try and only compete in the ultra competitive FPS market. I doubt they will rack up Call of Duty type sales numbers, in other words.

Back
Top Bottom