Witcher 2 Operator - warning, spoilers!

The Witcher 2

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Grabbed from another thread:

In any case I got… um… kinda stuck:
I didn't give the necromantic scroll to the mage in chapter 2. Talked about it with the smith in chapter 3 and he told me how to open a secret portal - it's near Roche's spot, in fact just go through the door near Numa's spot (armwrestler). I get teleported to an area with a puzzle and then an entity called Operator. This entity can reset my skills but I don't want that - I want to kill it (yea, saw on google it drops something veeeery nice;)).

I cannot kill it. I really really really cannot kill it. Maybe I'll drop the difficulty from normal to easy later, but this is the hardest fight I've had in the game so far. I use my standard magic path combo: level 3 Quen, then level 3 Aard, hit, hit and hit as much as possible and then cast 4th sign when available. Drinking swallow and tawny owl prior to the fight doesn't make it easier, seriously. Block doesn't help against this magician, I do endure for a minute or two, and then he summons gargoyles and I'm history. :(

If you really want to know…

His health and shield are connected to the gargoyles. You have to kill both, and then you can damage him… until he summons two more.:)

It's one of the most ridiculously hard battles I've ever seen in a crpg. I played the entire game on hard, but I finally gave up and put the difficulty down to easy just for that fight, and it was still a bitch.

I'll be honest though.. it's not really worth it. In fact, after I finally beat him, I decided to reload and chose not to fight him. That just felt like the more proper decision to me.

Even this couldn't help me and I had to drop the difficulty on easy. And then I've won, but again not that easy.
I'm not sure why they made this fight so tough.

Why did I go to it in the first place?
Operator drops dragonscale needed to craft the special silver sword and although his staff is not the best ingame weapon, it's fancy looking during the fight. ;)
There is something more to that staff - it says it's a quest item? What quest?
And in my case it just didn't sound right to hide from him that I'm not the one he expects.

Gargoyles are triggered at distinct percentages. 75% 50% etc. I had to tone the difficulty down to easy from normal - darn things were getting shots off for 200 damage on normal.

There's dragon scales elsewhere in the game, you don't need to kill him.
scales are in Philipa's quarters

There's dragon scales elsewhere in the game, you don't need to kill him.
scales are in Philipa's quarters
Well, I needed those scales ASAP and I'm not sure I could take those other scales as:
I've sided with Roche and I don't meet Philipa anywhere in the game. ;)

What weapon is crafted with Dragon Scales? I finished every quest in the game and explored everywhere, but I never came across plans for a sword that needed those. I can only assume that wasn't available with the paths I chose.

My steel sword was Caerme, which I had crafted. I had two silver swords that were about equal, but I'm not going to attempt to spell their names. One I found near the start of Chapter 3, guarded by 2 Arachas (+25 vs large monsters and Gargoyles ), and the other I found later in a chest that was opened by solving a runic puzzle (bonus vs Wraiths and several effect bonuses.)

Last edited:
I´ve beaten this on hard with a lot of running behind the pillars, constant recasting maxed Quen and some vigor regenerating potions (vigor at 5).
Used steel sword on the operator, once gargoyles appeared I run behind a pillar to change to silver sword and fought them from there. Being able to recast Quen when needed was crucial so once each "wave" of gargoyles was dispatched I was running around/waiting for vigor to fully regenerate.
I'm not sure why they made this fight so tough.
It´s optional. Optional super difficult encounters are good :).

My steel sword was Caerme, which I had crafted. I had two silver swords that were about equal, but I'm not going to attempt to spell their names. One I found near the start of Chapter 3, guarded by 2 Arachas (+25 vs large monsters and Gargoyles ), and the other I found later in a chest that was opened by solving a runic puzzle (bonus vs Wraiths and several effect bonuses.)

Yea, well...
Caerme is a steel sword. ;) And I had all those you did at the end of the game, plus two silver swords more. One that needs dragon scales is Zerrikanterment silver sword and you can buy it's diagram for 500 orens from the smith. Another is available from the smith at the "circus" and doesn't have to be crafted. It's Gynvael Aedd and I bought it because of it's unbelievable bonus of +1004% against necrophages. What I didn't know then, but I know today, it was a silly investment. Problem is... There are no necrophages in chapter 3. :( But because of the Wild Hunt, I thought maybe there will be some.

Yea, well…
Caerme is a steel sword. ;) And I had all those you did at the end of the game, plus two silver swords more. One that needs dragon scales is Zerrikanterment silver sword and you can buy it's diagram for 500 orens from the smith. Another is available from the smith at the "circus" and doesn't have to be crafted. It's Gynvael Aedd and I bought it because of it's unbelievable bonus of +1004% against necrophages. What I didn't know then, but I know today, it was a silly investment. Problem is… There are no necrophages in chapter 3. :( But because of the Wild Hunt, I thought maybe there will be some.

Read my post again regarding Caerme :)

Yeah, I saw Zerrikanterment at the smith, but I guess I never looked at the crafting requirements. One of my biggest complaints about TW2 was the placement of weapons and armor, especially later in the game. There's a lot of things you won't come across until you don't need them, like the Gynvael Aedd sword you mentioned.

Just imagine if we could get that sword in chapter 2... Insane difficulty shouldn't look that insane. ;)

Back
Top Bottom