Jade Empire: SE - Steam Sale

Yeah, I'm almost tempted to rebuy it.

Definitely worth it for anyone who hasn't played this one. If you think there's any chance you'll like it, then it's worth the $3.75.

Very fun game, underrated imo.

I agree. I know that combat with the fast-paced button mashing is a turnoff for a lot of people and normally would be for me (an old school rpg fan) but the game was a lot of fun and Bioware did a great job as usual with the storyline etc.

Bought it. Could be fun, i'm not a big Bioware fan, but KOTOR was good. I like the style/graphics of JE..

Are there any good mods for JE? I prefer to play modded from the beginning if there are any good ones, since i almost never replay games anyways.

JE had console audience and Xbox 1 hardware limitations written all over it.

Areas were tiny and even more linear than KOTOR.

Truly, I believe it's Bioware's worst effort.

That said, it's not an altogether BAD game.

I think of it as I think of Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Games that might be considered ok to good without the legacy of the developers and what came before.

Dhruin said:
Not BioWare's best
I'd say it is. Writing is on par with Bio's other games (it's not very good, that is), but art direction is much better, and it has John Cleese. The biggest problem is that combat is pretty much broken, and some fighting styles are clearly superior to the other ones. At least it works.
NFLed said:
I know that combat with the fast-paced button mashing is a turnoff for a lot of people
Jade Empire? Fast-paced?

I picked up the retail boxed version for $3.99 earlier this year.

Like all post-BG2 Bioware games (excluding DA which I haven't played so can't comment on), it definitely wasn't a bad game but nothing special:

- They have technically able writers but the writing is still bland
- Very linear
- Combat too "actiony".
- Story is the focus, actual gameplay takes a backseat (too many dialogue/cut-scenes)

Still, not a bad purchase for under $10 but if you hate action/twitch combat, stay away.

Very nice offer :) I already own the Xbox version, but at this price I'll definitely give the PC version a try as well.

While buying this one I also noticed that they had "A Farewell to Dragons" at 14.95, so I picked that one up as well. It's half the "normal" stream price, but I couldn't see if it was a permanent price drop or a special sales price. Thought it might be interesting for some of the RpgWatch regulars...

+1 with an exception

The combat wears on after awhile. Flip - hit twice with ice spell - flip ....rinse and repeat. That was almost of my combats. On the other hand the story was failry interesting. Any time where the game has that oriental flare to it then I'm all over it. There are just too few Oreital Adventure games out there on the market. The ones made over here hold no appeal to me at all. It's either your JRPG or god knows what else. I tried a few, even though they were in Chinese and I gotta say that without a doubt these games would sell poorly anywhere else other than Asia (I'm not talking about FF type games, the littler known ones that will never be translated into another language.

I think jade empire is the best game bioware made ( maybe except for dragon age which I didn't have time to play yet ) I played on the hardest setting, and the combat was not that simple and boring ( much much better than KOTOR ).. you had to think some for certain fights.. and the action was fun + it has best graphics and setting of any bioware game, and great music too and John Cleese! I hope it is not true that jade empire 2 was canned…..

Hmm, steam says 10.04 € for me - is the sale already over? Too bad, for $3.75 I would definitely have bought it.

Hmm, steam says 10.04 € for me - is the sale already over? Too bad, for $3.75 I would definitely have bought it.

Sale is over. The special offers always last for 24 hours and they begin at 17:00/5:00PM GMT (18:00/6:00PM in Germany). There's actually a countdown on the Steam store page so you can always see when the daily special offers expire.

+1 with an exception

The combat wears on after awhile. Flip - hit twice with ice spell - flip ….rinse and repeat. That was almost of my combats. On the other hand the story was failry interesting. Any time where the game has that oriental flare to it then I'm all over it.

Yes, I liked the unique setting, a departure from the usual orcs and elves. It had a lot of humor, too — more than most Bioware games, and actually funny (well some of it).

I agree about the combat. It needed to be more challenging. I would just jump over the enemy, backstab, and repeat.

Otherwise, I really don't have any complaints about the game. I enjoyed it very much, even on replay. You can't go in looking for some kind of hardcore old school RPG experience, though. You have to know this is an action RPG, light on the RPG, very accessible, sort of Bioware's version of Fable.

I think jade empire is the best game bioware made ( maybe except for dragon age which I didn't have time to play yet ) I played on the hardest setting, and the combat was not that simple and boring ( much much better than KOTOR ).. you had to think some for certain fights.. and the action was fun + it has best graphics and setting of any bioware game, and great music too and John Cleese! I hope it is not true that jade empire 2 was canned…..

John Cleese was the best cameo I've ever seen in a game. Talk about perfect casting.

If there's a sequel in the works, they sure are quiet about it. I've heard that Jade Empire is a staff favorite among Bioware employees, so I hope that means they won't let it die. Maybe they're just busy with everything else on their plate right now, and they'll get to it eventually. I think chances may be reduced after the EA buyout, unfortunately.

Grabbed Jade Empire for $3.75 (or Australian conversion). How could you pass it up? That is less than one beer in a pub, for how many hours of entertainment?

The Steam sale is pretty sweet. I also grabbed a Farewell To Dragons a couple of days ago when it was on sale but haven't even downloaded it yet. Picked up Tomb Raider Underworld for a few dollars for when I just want action and no talkies. Still haven't finished DA:O yet so not sure how I am going to get through these games. Oh I also picked up The Witcher...so much gaming to do!

Back
Top Bottom