ELEX - Released: More Reviews

I'm not sure if the reviewers are as forgiving since this game is charging AAA money for an indie+ title.

This seems to be one of your pet peaves, to the point of ignoring that there are mid-tier games, and always have been. Not to forget that the typical AAA game nowadays costs closer to 100$ than 50$ due to DLC and lootbox crap.

I'm not aware of a single reviewer for whom the price is a point to consider when judging a game's qualities. Prices are being reduced quickly these days. Some add a price/performance evaluation, but that's always separated from the actual review.
The publisher charging a high price at the beginning is first semester economics, nothing more. There are people willing to pay this price, so why not let them?!

And considering the amount of hand-made content, attention to detail in the game world, etc., you get for that price, with no microtransactions or DLC, I'd say it's great bang for the buck. Unless you're someone who believes a huge, sprawling, hand-crafted open-world RPG is not worth much. Fully voiced with 300k+ words of dialogue, etc..

A price isn't a production cost, it's cost and how much you hope sell. So yeah no game can compete with AAA games. RPG is niche genre with few rare exceptions, and they tend have a lot more contents than any game genre, their price should be the double that any other game genre, easily.

ELEX seems amazing, but also awfully full of bugs and glitches, so many that I bet for quests too and broken forced cinematic, and more problems. I would never suspect that team could do again a great game, but perhaps Elex is this one finally, I hope they'll clean a lot the game even if not fully.

ELEX is not "awfully full of bugs". I haven't seen any dealbreaker bugs yet except minor graphical glitches, but I'm only 13 hours into the game. It's by far their most polished game yet, and considering when you compare it to games of equal size and scope (Skyrim, Fallout 4/New Vegas, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out later that the game has much less bugs than those games did upon release…

Last edited:
ELEX seems amazing, but also awfully full of bugs and glitches, so many that I bet for quests too and broken forced cinematic, and more problems. I would never suspect that team could do again a great game, but perhaps Elex is this one finally, I hope they'll clean a lot the game even if not fully.

Well it's obvious that you haven't played it yet.

Myrthos calls Chien a he. Question is, can Myrthos, whose avatar looks like a she, prove that Chien is in fact a human? Chien doesn't surrender enough to feel French, but maybe.
He could be a she indeed :)
And no, I cannot check for sure if someone is human or not.

I've not come across bugs or glitches so far. I fail to grasp the poor reviews, though I know PB are pretty naive when it comes to marketing and should have introduced the game more in a sort of tutorial. New players will find it hard to understand the game.

ELEX is not "awfully full of bugs". I haven't seen any dealbreaker bugs yet except minor graphical glitches, but I'm only 13 hours into the game. It's by far their most polished game yet, and considering when you compare it to games of equal size and scope (Skyrim, Fallout 4/New Vegas, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out later that the game has much less bugs than those games did upon release…
But some players could make video listing plenty, NPC freeze, cinematic going weird and triggering an absurd player teleport to enter the scenery, NPC crossing arms inside their chest, women chests with bizarre animations, moving through ceiling, animal stick on straight cliff without any physic logic, more. Reviews list many too. From what I saw of Elex, Gothic 3 I never enjoyed much was quite less unclean.

But ok otherwise the game seem amazing, and could be much more Gothic 1&2 than ever been Gothic 3. And I even see some review very rude overall but quoting its amazing aspects. I also cross fingers they clean a lot the game, but they aren't used to clean quickly their coding, and in that case it seems massive. The 3D engine is in house, and it could end be a too big bite for them and never been able to fix all or most.

The problem is I don't see the game selling that much and it would need it for a huge cleaning. I haven't buy but will buy soon, and probably not play until long, but Im' not optimistic.

He could be a she indeed :)
And no, I cannot check for sure if someone is human or not.
Seeing the silence, the bot probably detected it was close to be unmasked, fatal error, this proves it's a bot, ha not as subtle than humans, he he.

But some players could make video listing plenty, NPC freeze, cinematic going weird and triggering an absurd player teleport to enter the scenery, NPC crossing arms inside their chest, women chests with bizarre animations, moving through ceiling, animal stick on straight cliff without any physic logic, more. Reviews list many too. From what I saw of Elex, Gothic 3 I never enjoyed much was quite less unclean.

But ok otherwise the game seem amazing, and could be much more Gothic 1&2 than ever been Gothic 3. And I even see some review very rude overall but quoting its amazing aspects. I also cross fingers they clean a lot the game, but they aren't used to clean quickly their coding, and in that case it seems massive. The 3D engine is in house, and it could end be a too big bite for them and never been able to fix all or most.

The problem is I don't see the game selling that much and it would need it for a huge cleaning. I haven't buy but will buy soon, and probably not play until long, but Im' not optimistic.

1) Every game has funny graphical glitches in 2017. Big deal. I've seen a couple and it detracts about 0.001% of my fun from the game. Or maybe adds to it actually, hmm.

2) I haven't seen any crazy bugs myself. Maybe it's the system they're playing on, who knows. No gamebreakers for me, and if there's weird physics, etc., see post 1 (and watch YouTube videos of literally every other RPG ever released to see the same thing.)

3) You are making assumptions frankly for not having played the game. Myself and others are telling you that your assumptions/suggestions/ideas about the game are not true. Play it and see for yourself. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You are.

Ah, the age of kids playing outside instead of glued to a tablet, indoctrinated with every repugnant facet of consumerism by age 6.

When I tell people I can't take pictures with my phone they look at me very oddly. Aye I have this cheap ole phone that just makes phone calls :p

Odd looking back as the way technology and science has advanced in general over the years - its amazing how different things are now in that regard compared to when I was growing up.

I was looking at some reviews on steam. This is a short one but pretty much mirrored my thoughts as I got into it.

Posted: Oct 18 @ 11:49am
Updated: Oct 19 @ 1:15pm

So...I've just over 350 titles purchased through Steam over my years of gaming. This isn't a humble brag, rather a picture of perspective. I have never written a "review" for any of those games, but I want to write a bit about this one.

Look...the game starts off sucking. I don't know how many times I said to myself "This game is SO bad" but, I don't like losing to challenges. That's what this game is. A challenge. A challenge of fidgety controls, a challenge of stiff combat, a challenge of convoluted quests, and I should preface this by saying I have never played any of the Gothic games to completion, but I have played the Risen series, and came to very much enjoy those.

The game starts off with these milestones that seem unreachable at first, requiring seemingly way too many stat points to learn any skills, get any upgrades, or progress your character at all. Right around the 6 or 7 hour mark it was like...all these milestones came at once, and then all of a sudden, the game was playable and started making sense. I hate saying this about games, but you have to put a little time into the game before it gets good, and I guess you could argue that this is the "Piranha Bytes" way, but I felt it more in this game than in the Risen titles. So give the game a try for a while and power through the garbage first 5 or so hours, get your first companion, and THEN you will have much better grounds to make a decision. I am SUPER glad I didn't push this one to the side.

UPDATE: So a little over 20 hours in, and I have to say, the game has done nothing but get better and better. I am at the point now where the world building is incredibly well done, and I have had so many awesome experiences with the quests moslty due to the lack of "Here's the morally good choice, and here's the morally bad choice". There are SO many more grey areas than that, and choices that you made at the beginning of the game come full circle 20 hours later, and I am hoping the game continues that trend. I also want to note the companion system. I LOVE these guys. They have their own motives and views on the world, and will change their disposition towards you if your choices conflict with their goals. The companion quests, so far, have been really interesting as well. I havent cared for a companion in a game this much since KotOR, I just wish that there were more banter between your companions themselves. I feel like that was a missed opportunity that could have been interesting, and added even more to the world building. So far if I could sum this up with some cheesy quote, it would be "Shoot for the moon, because if you miss, you could still land on a star" and then I would add "...And eh....if you don't land on a star, theres all kinds of other cool stuff hanging around in space".

I appreciate that he likes the game but the early hours are some of my favorite in PB games, lol. But cool that people are sticking with it and enjoying it.

So...it's a bit cheesy and the dialogue options seem a bit stilted. Graphics are just ok. World is pretty cool though, I haven't played long though just got to the first city. Seems you can die if you don't follow your guide well.

For whatever reason the textures for the armor seem poor.

Back
Top Bottom