Torchlight - Pre-orders are Go

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Perfect World Entertainment announces that pre-orders for the action rpg are now available.
“Torchlight” Preorders Now Available from Perfect World Entertainment

Preorder to Enter to Win a Limited Edition Signed Poster

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Perfect World Entertainment, Inc, a wholly owned US subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ:pWRD), today announced that it will be distributing Runic Games’ upcoming single-player version of its action-RPG, Torchlight for PC. Preorders will be available on the Perfect World Entertainment portal at http://torchlight.perfectworld.com/.

Along with being one of the first to download the game for US$19.99 on October 27, preorders will be entered to win limited edition Torchlight posters signed by Runic Games’ CEO, Max Schaefer and co-founder, Erich Schaefer. The Schaefer brothers are best known for co-founding Blizzard North and for their work on bringing Diablo and Diablo II to life.

“Runic Games has always been about delivering quality action-RPG entertainment to gamers and by offering Torchlight preorders, gamers can look forward to being one of the first to enjoy the game,” said Max Schaefer, CEO of Runic Games. “For less than a pair of movie tickets, Torchlight offers nearly limitless replayability, as well as our full development tool suite.”

“Torchlight is a phenomenal game coming from the industry’s top talent and we are very pleased to be able to offer preorders to players on our portal,” said Dr. Alan Chen, CEO of Perfect World Entertainment. “For us, Torchlight bridges the gap between Eastern and Western players and we look forward to working closely with Runic Games on the upcoming, free-to-play MMO version of Torchlight.”

About Runic Games, Inc.

Runic Games is a developer of PC-based entertainment software, designing games that focus on quality, approachability, and fun. Runic Games is staffed by a team with experienced members, including leads on "Diablo," "Diablo II," "Diablo II: Lord of Destruction," "Fate," "Hellgate: London" and "Mythos." Runic Games is located in Seattle, Washington, United States.

About Perfect World Entertainment

Perfect World Entertainment, a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ:pWRD), publishes free-to-play, online games and provides online services in North America. The Company primarily publishes three-dimensional, or 3D, online games based on the Perfect World proprietary Angelica 3D game engine and game development platform. Perfect World Entertainment’s goal is to provide North American users with perfectly polished gameplay, exceptional localization, the highest quality customer service, and an unparalleled online community experience.

For more information on Perfect World Entertainment visit http://www.perfectworld.com/about/aboutus.
More information.

Steam is still selling pre-orders for Torchlight for 10% off, so if you're going to pre-order, might as well get it there.

action RPG...
does that mean Diablo 37845683746537th?
if yes, I'll skip it.
if no.. then what does that mean?

Look, Diablo created a new genre, and Torchlight is firmly part of it. There will continue to be games that you think are "Diablo clones" for as long as there continue to be games. Try one. They're fun.

Look, Diablo created a new genre, and Torchlight is firmly part of it. There will continue to be games that you think are "Diablo clones" for as long as there continue to be games. Try one. They're fun.
I'm afraid I'm with Joxer there. I also see them all as Diablo clones, and when I've tried a game because someone tells me "it's not really a clone!", I realize it's still a clone. Problem is I guess similar to FP shooters, to me they're all the same, while I'm sure they're very different for those who like them. All Diablos, Titan Quest, etc. to me they are just "click on whatever moves until something drops, if the color of what drops is purple, joy! Repeat until game ends". It doesn't matter if the story is about cows abducted by aliens or erotic adventures of pepperoni pizza slices, or if the weapon you're wielding is a sword or a vacuum cleaner, it's just the gameplay that feels the same.

Hmn, same old tired argument
Yes, Arpg's do play all the same and some people like them and so do traditional D&D games such as Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Drakensang where combat is mostly the same, whether you pause the space bar or not to pause and issue orders and then after combat, sort thru new shineys, and some people like them as well.
Then there are other people like myself who like both genres. I think it does come down to what you like and don't like. Since you post that story doesn't matter and it's all about getting that new purple item, I would have to point out that in all Rpg's, everyone looks forward to the drops as well and everyone of those traditional games are not as vastly different as you would believe. Sure , combat takes longer, and you will have to reload a few times, but it all ends the same.
I would really like to see something different from game makers of both types but they have learned their lesson on what sells. I hope Dragon Age has something different for us in two weeks but it looks like a mishmash of many games to me. Will that stop me from playng it? Not at all.
As far as Arpg's go, I am looking forward to Torchlight mainly because the developers appeared to have made a game the people in their community(and others)wqnt. They listened to their audience and asked for comments and feedback to release on time(what a concept, Bioware and Bethesda) a fun polished game for only twenty bucks. Travis Baldtree used to hang out at the Octupus Overlords site when he was making Mythos and invite people into the beta and listen to our feedback. I don't think there is a nicer guy in the industry, and I appreciate his efforts and plan on supporting them. Will it be Planescape? Of course not.

Last edited:
Yep, it's clear they're not trying to revolutionize the genre here, just do things the 'right' way, in their opinion...which in this case, happens to be a lot of what the community wants. That strong connection to the community and the fact that they're releasing a good set of modding tools makes this a sale for me.
And, seriously, 20 bucks? Give some love :)

I find it amusing that one of the key features of the game listed on its website is "fishing" :)

Hey! One of the only reasons I started playing WoW again was the fishing!

You think I'm kidding, but sadly I am not.

On topic though, I don't see the problem with this being a "diablo clone", I mean uh, duh? So that makes Dragon Age a Baldur's Gate clone (hopefully). Is that a problem? You liked the first one and will accept NO MORE GAMES LIKE IT!? Is that it? Seems kinda silly to me.

I wouldn''t pay more than $20 or so for a "diablo clone" but I also won't pay more than that for an on-rails pure shooter either (no matter how good it is). But that's just me.

hey we're not bashing 'diablo clones', someone asked a simple question if this was a diablo clone. Answer: yes. That's about it.
I also check for these things when new games come out and news pop in this site. First thing I need to know if it's a Diablo Clone or a Gothic clone, so I can skip to the next news, nothing wrong with that.

I find it amusing that one of the key features of the game listed on its website is "fishing" :)

And I must say that I like this. :)

No idea on how it might be worked out, though.

I think that fishing has made its way to fame mostly through MMORPGs. Final Fantasy XI was probably the no. 1 fishing simulator. It was possible to make a lot of in-game money from pulling up some seriously "phat lewt" from the rivers in FFXI. People (and especially the gold farming "industry") exploited fishing like mad by setting up multiple accounts for the sole purpose of 24/7 AFK-fishing. It got so ridiculous that the FFXI devs had to nerf it big time at one point. It still remained a popular feature though and a lot of other MMOs implemented a fishing system. Looks like the Torchlight devs figured it would be a fun little element in their game, too.

What I'd like to see is fishing in single-player RPGs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom