Deus Ex: HR DRM for PC

Vince

Traveler
I've played the original Deus Ex all the way through at least four times. From everything I've read, 'Human Revolution has even more replay value. My concern is with the DRM/copy protection for the PC version.

I'm fine with having the DVD in the drive. I'm also fine with a requirement for a one time online activation similar with that required for AutoCAD or PhotoShop. I'm not fine with an activation that leaves a resident program on my computer to save me from myself, update whether I want to or not, etc. (STEAM).

So my question is: if I buy a DVD of Deus Ex: HR from, say, Amazon, other than having the DVD in the drive, what other DRM, if any, is there?

its a steam game so i don't know why you would need a dvd on any version.

its a steam game so i don't know why you would need a dvd on any version.
You can download it from STEAM or buy the DVD which is sold by Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, Sears, etc.

You can download it from STEAM or buy the DVD which is sold by Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, Sears, etc.

Indeed but in the end it is the same product. The only difference is that when you install the hard copy version you can copy the files directly from the DVD instead of having to download them through Steam (useful for people with slow or expensive internet connections).

However, it is still a Steam game.

That being said, I suggest you think of Steam as a digital distribution and gaming center instead of DRM. If you can manage to do that you'll likely come to realize that Steam is actually a pretty cool service with lots of options and great deals (their standard prizes suck but they always have sales going on where you can save a lot of money).

@fatBastard(), thanks. That's the information I needed.

update whether I want to or not, etc. (STEAM).

For what it's worth, the automatic updates are enabled by default, but there is an option to turn them off if you want.

I do believe, however, that you will get whatever is the latest version of the game as of the day you install automatically. I don't think you can play from the straight off the disc version because Steam will update on installation before you can get to turn the updates off.

You can probably get around that with a crack, but honestly the updates fixed a lot of stuff so I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom