What games are you playing now?

*whispers* Dude, you said that out loud.

Pay him no mind folks, he was just making a joke. No need for those pitchforks and torches. He didn't mean it, really he didn't.
LOL - do you mean the X Series bit or the Might and Magic interface bit? May be he preferred the interface in Might and Magic (8+1) ?

Yes, the interface is the most severe issue with the game for me, but there are also a few more minor issues, like the amount of feedback that you get when doing something. In M&M 4-5 you got a good sound & visual effect when you hit an enemy, it felt like you hit the enemy even though you were only clicking a button, but M&M6 does not give me that feeling.

I'm going to try to force myself through the interface issues, see if I can get to the point where I don't mind the interface.

Seeing as how your playstyle is very similar to mine, your post serves as a warning for me. It looks like I'll be needing another XP-reducer mod when I'm ready to take a serious run at Skyrim. Leveling too quickly has always been an issue for me in Bethesda's games, and I don't expect that to change.

More precisely, the problem is more that the vital skills level too fast - because the level cap is much higher than Fallout 3 and it doesn't mean all that much. The problem is that beyond your ~2 primary skills - you don't really need more than Smithing and Enchanting to be pretty much as powerful as you can be - including loot.

So, yeah, I definitely recommend waiting a few months until proper balance mods are out. Unless you're the kind of gamer who can actively avoid obvious routes of power and neat toys because you don't want to risk breaking balance.

Personally, I deleted my savegame yesterday. I don't want to play halfheartedly "delaying" myself to avoid being too powerful - and now I'm forced to start over :)

I've decided to wait a while, until I see the right kind of balance mods and tweaks.

The game is strong enough to be almost as good the second time, after a few months.

Ah forget it, I won't enjoy M&M6, so I'll just play something else.

One game that has been sitting in my shelf for a while now, unplayed, is Alien Logic, so that will be my next game.

*edit* Or not :( I was expecting something else from it, and while this game might be good (I don't know yet), it is not really the type of game I feel like playing, so I should probably save it for when I feel like playing something like this.

Last edited:
LOL - do you mean the X Series bit or the Might and Magic interface bit? May be he preferred the interface in Might and Magic (8+1) ?
Actually, my post was aimed at Fnord. JDR just snuck a post in the middle. Somewhere, there's a stone tablet etched with "Thou shalt not speak evil of Might and Magic". (there's some smaller print burned underneath, "Knoweth that in Mine eye did Might and Magic end with the 8th release, so you canst talketh shit about that vile abomination that followed all you wanteth"). I keep a picture of that tablet on my fridge and give it proper reverence. ;)

Eh, it was a momentary confusion, I did not know what I was talking about...

(I did enjoy World of Xeen though, it was a really good game)

Next game will be: Time gentlemen, please!

I finished Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened and I was a little disappointed by it. I found the story not so interesting and it didn't present any real mystery or at least any actually unpredictable event. More importantly, there really wasn't much investigating and deducing to be done (by me at least), since the majority of the gameplay was of the standard adventure game 'use-item-on-item' kind. I really wish they would have taken advantage of the Sherlock Holmes name to produce a more 'specialized' game where I would be the one get to investigate crime scenes, question people, make deductions and devise plans to trap the adversaries instead of just using items on other items while watching the great detective do all the above for himself.

Nevertheless I found that if I ignored the fact that this was not the Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft experience I wished for, it was still a decent enough adventure game with a mostly good quality, quantity and variety of puzzles. So I decided to finally give Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis another chance.

I remembered straight away why I gave up on it so quickly the first time, its very first few steps are a little frustrating as I was given a (relatively) lengthy text to read straight away before I even got to look around and then I was sent to a little fetch errand without directions only to be given a test to see if I was paying attention so far… this game seems to be in a hurry to start.

Now, however, I just finished touring the National Gallery of London which was surprisingly detailed, with many paintings to see (and in decent resolution) with Holmes giving a little information about each one of them! That was one of my favorite gaming moments. It's only unfortunate that my favorite era of painting starts around or after the time the game takes place… if Lupin was to burglarize Tate Modern instead I would have been a very happy gamer!

Last edited:
I've been killing time with Terraria for the time being, but I'm completely torn on what I'm going to start next. There's at least 4-5 different games I'm craving to play.

I recently purchased all the DLC for Fallout:NV, and I'm thinking maybe it's time I finally started a full playthrough.

I've also been thinking about Arcanum a lot since recently seeing a new thread about it. I never did finish that one.

Also, the recent news about GSC Game World has me wanting to go back to the STALKER series. I never played Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat, despite owning copies since they were released.

There just isn't enough hours in a day…

Disciples III

I'm having fun with it, obviously having a better time than all the bad reviews. That said, I did kinda pre-emptively take care of the crit-massacre that most people complained about by pumping agility/dex as much as possible. Also, one of the complaints Ive seen was that there was no use in making multiple squads. I disagree - I always have another squad cruising around the map hitting the respawning dungeons, and going back to the capitol to make runes and stuff. It's good to be training some auxillary units for when your main hero's leadership goes up, or you lose a party member due to story events. I'm kinda torn on the ranked system of battle vs the hex grid style, I like them both and kinda wish they'd stayed w/ the ranked because that was uniquely Disciples and enjoyed that about the original. Hex does allow for some more tactics tho. That said, the enemy AI is pretty stupid at times, thankfully they do seem to go for the unique battle-bonus spots on the grid. They do have a weakness when it comes to summons tho, cranking out a golem can really wreck the enemy's plans.

The game is gorgeous, and retains that intricate and dark appeal of Disciples II. Every unit looks sensational, but some of the spell effects can be a bit meh. The sound is awful, there's just no two ways about it. The unit sounds are passable, but the narraration is horrible and there seems to be only like 3 short musical pieces that loop over and over and over again, to the point that I had to turn off all music. Was giving me a migraine!

Left 4 Dead 2.

I'm having surprisingly much fun with this co-op multi-player FPS! I like some FPS once in a while, but I'm not really a Call of Duty junkie or anything near. But this game really has a lot of content and very nice gameplay! Getting overwhelmed by a horde of zombies never gets old. And it was only 5,- on Steam. :)

I've been defeated by Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis... I find the game to be superior to its predecessor in every single aspect - except from its (virtually nonexistent) plot. The above medium difficulty of the puzzles and its detailed real locations, had me enjoying it so much that I was determined to solve it on my own, but the treasure hunt in the museum dragged on and on so much that it became completely ridiculous - having to solve yet another riddle so as to find another little paper with another riddle on it that I would have to solve to find another paper with another riddle...AAAA! I gave up at the King's message riddle - which I solved mostly by trial and error and honestly, after reading the explanation I still have no idea how it makes sense!

Well... I'm moving on to a new location tomorrow and hopefully my interest will be renewed, although the harm might have been done: if I so much as peek at a walkthrough once, I am likely to not be able to resist doing it again which ends up destroying the game for me.

Finished Nemesis. It was a very charming game which I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a bit of challenge but in a more relaxing environment than that of most games (well suited for some tourism in London too!). It was definitely one of the best adventure games I've played recently. I'm done with Sherlock Holmes - at least until 'The Testament' comes out, which I understand is pretty soon.

I'm moving to Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophesy) which I bought on an impulse from GOG when looking for something that will provide the opposite: more complicated story and less challenge.

My first thought was it seems it wasn't too long ago that when you started a new game you had to get used to a whole new control system… and Fahrenheits is a mess. I did get used to it but I do think it would be so much better if it just utilized the tried and true WASD+mouse controls… stupid console port I guess… It also annoys me that it's whole gameplay seems to consist exclusively of variations of quicktime events!
The dialog system, by the way, seems to be exactly what Alpha Protocol copied… I didn't like it much in AP and it bothers me here too, though for some reason it seems to make a bit more sense.

Nonetheless it's a very intriguing game. I love all the little details, like when taking a moment to throw a basketball around or having a cup of coffee makes the characters slightly calmer. I also understand there are some choices with significant consequences later on, and even at the beginning your behavior seems to make at least some difference.

EDIT
A day or two later: God the story of this game turned really stupid really fast! I expected it because I've read some reviews but I couldn't believe that it would build up so brilliantly towards such an unsalvageable mess. It's one of those stories where the writers just seem to give up and throw everything into the pot - the kind of story when you sit there watching the parade of irrelevant ideas, thinking that the only thing missing is aliens… and then aliens appear!

It's good that it has gained enough momentum to keep me interested for a little more and that it's production values are otherwise excellent (best game soundtrack ever by the way) because between the worst story I've seen in a while and its atrocious gameplay, it starts to feel more like a parody of a game than something meant to be taken even a little seriously.

Last edited:
Over the weekend, I finished Geneforge 1 and started Fallout 1. I'm a little behind the times.

@holeraw, I played Farhenheit/ Indigo Prophecy a long time ago, but I rmember having a lot of fun with it. I don't actually remember the story, but it was at the very least a very entertaining game. My only gripe that I remember is the console controls on a PC were abominable.

I don't actually remember the story, but it was at the very least a very entertaining game.
It is. It's a very entertaining game with a stupid story terrible controls and uninspired gameplay. I would seriously easily recommend it to anyone… probably because it has a lot of ideas and does a lot of things that I haven't seen in any other game - at least in that extent - which results to a unique experience… or… it just somehow works because a wizard did it!…

Edit: I just saw a zombie sex scene! It's pretty clear: this game starts as dark crime thriller and at some point it just turns into a wacky comedy :)

Last edited:
Finally decided it was time to play through the Witcher and take a break from Skyrim.

I just made it to Chapter 3. It sounds like this is where the game really starts picking up. I must say, I was getting bored with the quests from chapter 2 and have had to take frequent breaks. It has been an awful lot of fetching items and revisiting the same places and characters. I also had a bit of a difficult time following the story and often didn't know why I was doing certain things (would have been really confused if it wasn't for the tracking system). I'm playing the enhanced edition and the dialog seems much improved, but still has a lot of sub-par moments. However, it promises that would be the last time I could get away without taking sides, so I expect the C&C system that seems to be the bread and butter of this game to really pick up from here on. Looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom