Skyrim Next TES game - what setting are you hoping for?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Slightly off top but when its time for Bethesda to leave the elder scrolls IP behind and move to a new fantasy setting? I think the ip has lost some of charm and wonder after so many games.

Going to Atmora will be lot better than staying in Tamriel but I rather wish they move to something completely different fantasy setting.

Slightly off top but when its time for Bethesda to leave the elder scrolls IP behind and move to a new fantasy setting? I think the ip has lost some of charm and wonder after so many games.

Going to Atmora will be lot better than staying in Tamriel but I rather wish they move to something completely different fantasy setting.

Are you kidding? That would be a nearly foolproof method of losing millions for Bethesda.

I have no idea how much money Bethesda is STILL making on Skyrim, but it is significant. I was reading an article about the sites that have these mega sales and Skyrim was the most sold crpg on their site in 2013. It outsold all new games, albeit at a steep discount. I wish I had a link to that article...

It's still selling like a cure for cancer, you don't need any numbers.
FO3 and F:NV share the same fate.

Which makes it odd that Bethesda didn't go fast for singleplayer TES 6 and is "strategically" hiding any news about FO4 - they went MMO instead.
Okay, MMO is probably less risky than going dumb/dumber BoS or DarkAlliance consolecrap that ruined certain company, but still…

Ontopic what setting… I really don't care as there are places and places not discovered yet and still unexplored. Any would be good. Even impossible things like dwemer returning or completely underwater world would be okay with me. Just make it less buggy please.

Ooh, I'd love the dwemer returning. Especially if they tried to take over the world and forced the rest of Tamriel to reunite in desperation.

Are you kidding? That would be a nearly foolproof method of losing millions for Bethesda.

Really? serious question since I didn't play Skyrim because it was set in Tamriel . I played it because its nice open world game. I would have stilled played it still even if it was set somewhere else.

Lore of the game does matter a lot but I feel that elder scrolls and Tamriel setting have lost their wonder to me.

Really? serious question since I didn't play Skyrim because it was set in Tamriel . I played it because its nice open world game. I would have stilled played it still even if it was set somewhere else.

Lore of the game does matter a lot but I feel that elder scrolls and Tamriel setting have lost their wonder to me.

The brand has everything to do with its sales. Rpg fanatics such as ourselves generally grab everything we can that has the word "rpg" in it. But most of their sales don't come from us. They come from people who might easily pass up some random fantasy game, but "have to check out" the latest elderscrolls game.

I for one wouldn't want to see Bethesda stop making TES games any time soon. After all, there are really only 3 modern TES games. The stuff they put out prior to Morrowind has never been played by much of their current fanbase and never will be.

I for one wouldn't want to see Bethesda stop making TES games any time soon. After all, there are really only 3 modern TES games. The stuff they put out prior to Morrowind has never been played by much of their current fanbase and never will be.

A shame that. Daggerfall & Arena rank right up there with some of my all time favorites. They were still both installed right up until my OS upgrade. Guess its time to install them again!

Elsweyr and Valenwood. Or leave Tamriel and visit the other continents (especially Akavir, will love to see new races)

Concur
Ive realized that my interest in sandbox and "open" crpgs is limited, I want a conclusion and a story. give me NPC that I really do care about.

C
Not going to happen as story has never been Bethesda's strong point. Fallout 3 and Skyrim are steps in the right direction though.:)
Elsweyr and Valenwood. Or leave Tamriel and visit the other continents (especially Akavir, will love to see new races)
You should try this mod for Crusader Kings 2 called Elder Kings it allows you to play the Akavir. It's still in a beta state but it is playable with more on the way.

Link-http://www.moddb.com/mods/elder-kings

Sorry for the shameless advertising but the mod deserves attention.:biggrin:

Last edited:
It will depend on the new consoles capabilities.

Probably two (or three this time) TES games released during the lifetime of these consoles. Considering what they tried and fail to deliver for Skyrim, the settings will be determined by what they can achieve on the new consoles.

My guess is that wherever it is set, it is going to be a huge gameworld.

I take benthesa sandbox rpg anyday over cutscene heavy cinematic stuff which substitutes for a videogame nowdays :)

So bring it on Benth! I still haven't got Skyrim out of my system. Its definitely one of the best games I've played in recent years :)

I take benthesa sandbox rpg anyday over cutscene heavy cinematic stuff which substitutes for a videogame nowdays :)

So bring it on Benth! I still haven't got Skyrim out of my system. Its definitely one of the best games I've played in recent years :)

Here, Here! Although I confess I enjoy both styles. Yet I am still playing Skyrim and the only games I ever played longer are MMO's. Hands down one of the best games I have ever played. Perfect for role playing if you know how to role play without having it spelled out for you (ala Mass Effect or Witcher … although I also like those games as well).

But as I stated earlier Valenwood or Elsewyr are high on my list. One of the Daedra planes could also be cool.

But as I stated earlier Valenwood or Elsewyr are high on my list. One of the Daedra planes could also be cool.
Oh yes, a Daedric plane would be nice! If just to meet Imago Storm again ... he was the best thing in Battlespire IMO. And I actually liked Battlespire, despite bugs and everything. When I heard Mehrunes Dagon and his Deadlands would play a role in Oblivion back then, I so hoped for a Storm cameo (at least that). Well, no luck. Which was, to be true, to be expected, provided Lord Dagon found out about ... something his Grand Vizier had done Battlespire.

Here, Here! Although I confess I enjoy both styles. Yet I am still playing Skyrim and the only games I ever played longer are MMO's. Hands down one of the best games I have ever played. Perfect for role playing if you know how to role play without having it spelled out for you (ala Mass Effect or Witcher … although I also like those games as well).

I really like to know how you guys do that bit. I always need context in my games for role play. I like the open nature of TES games but I finds that I still need more context. This is why I am really looking forward to the next Witcher 3 game since to me it sound like my holy grail of an RPG (good story, memorable NPC with an open world).

Aye I am very much looking forward to Witcher 3. I never got into the first two as I felt they were too limited and … well some other reasons which I will refrain from getting into since it sparks to much controversy :p

But W3 sounds like a great mix of story and sandbox and even if "my" character will be defined for me at least I will be able to do a lot of exploring.

Don't get me wrong, as I tried to point out, I enjoy those games as well - Mass Effect was loads of fun but .. well I played it more like an interactive movie and I never felt like I was playing my character, I was just playing Shepherd.

Also I was being a bit flip on the RP comment (sorry I was reacting to the no story no gameplay comment) because I know everyone has their own definition (although I have studied it, I wrote a 50 page research paper on the topic of role playing in games for a seminar class on personality). For myself I see three very rough levels of RP. One is the psychological version. You role play your dominant mother, the kid you bullied, a male coworker, whatever … in that case you try to get into a role outside of yourself to see what it is like.

Another is to play a character in a game for fun and exploration. The battle-hardened elf priest, the paranoid halfling, a different gender or alignment. the last one is when you play as yourself but with a twist - which is how I play 95% of my games. It is really just a subset of the second.

For example *if* I were to be reborn in X game world as Y how would I be? For example I tend to be a vegetarian, non-aggressive, and more mental focused person in real life. In Skyrim I play a powerful and dangerous werewolf mercenary. Now I am still there inside … he is a hero who does good and fights the dark side of the beast (just like we all have our shadows). But I am certainly more violent and physical in the game. I am playing a new role because the world demands it to some degree.

Anyhow I wish to avoid another RP argument so just trying to explain my view on how I do it. I have a very vivid and strong imagination - always have. I find it easy to escape into these sandbox games and create all the context I need in my head. All the NPCs get deeper personalities that I build around the skeleton outline provided by the developers.

Think of it like a play - props in a play are minimal and just meant to frame things. Me and my character then flesh it out. Of course modding can help a lot as it lets you really adjust things a lot more.

Granted the more the world reacts to things your character does the nicer it is as you get feedback on what you are doing - one reason I liked DAO more then DA2 - but lets face it no matter how good the game it will never equal human AI and interaction. So I use my mind to fill in all the other things, based on the rules, lore, logic, and whatever context the game has provided.

For me a marriage of FNV + DAO + SKYRIM would be pretty ideal :)

Back on topic - speaking of Daedric planes the one I would love to visit would be Hircines Hunting Grounds. All the woods, enchanted forest, animals, were beasts … the wild hunt … sounds cool (course W3 will have a wild hunt so that is appealing).

EDIT: Also if you have seen my posts in the skyrim screenshot thread (I know, I took that thread over) you can see I also write a lot - I create elaborate stories around my character and the NPC's in the game. All of this adds to the RP factor for me and gives depth and meaning to the game. I also play by fairly strict self-imposed rules that help maintain immersion and believability within the logic of the game world.

Perfect for role playing if you know how to role play without having it spelled out for you (ala Mass Effect or Witcher … although I also like those games as well).

It goes far beyond than that: it is about roleplaying without support for roleplaying. Roleplaying is not implemented in the Skyrim software.

That is a lesson that needs to be taught as it turns any game into a roleplaying game.

Back
Top Bottom