Deus Ex - Best Game Ever @ CVG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CVG is carrying a piece from PC Zone where Deus Ex was voted the best PC game ever in a 101 game countdown feature. Warren Spector gets to join in the celebrations with a few comments award-night style:
First, let me say what an honour it is to have been associated with the development of Deus Ex - to see it named the "best game ever" is pretty incredible. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have great expectations for the game when I started thinking about it, and the team really rallied around the idea of changing the way people thought about and played videogames. But actually to be honoured as the best game ever? Well, that's just amazing.
Spector goes on to describe the input of various team members such as Chris Norton, Harvey Smith and Sheldon Pacotti.
More information.

A very deserving game for the title. It's a close run between Civilization, Baldurs Gate 2, and Deus Ex for me, but Deus Ex is definitely up there. It's a damn tragedy that two out of three of those games has never gotten a worthy sequel.

I think it's impossible to judge a game as "best ever", but Deus Ex is a deserving winner.

DX is a good game, but best ever!! NO WAY, not even close!!! Several of the Ultima's, PS-T, FO, to name but a few are far better IMHO!!

Not a bad candidate if you ask me! DX is on my top ten list, maybe not in the fist place but somewhere in top five.. :) And yeah dx 2 was quite a tragedy :(

Tough to pick best game ever, but I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone awarding Deus Ex that moniker. It is certainly in my Top Five all-time list, along with BG2, Star Trail, Alpha Centauri, and Planescape.

The best game ever was either Civilization 2 or Tie Fighter, IMO.

Oh my gawd ... there is no such thing as "best game". You just cannot compare all games. Even if you split it up into genres, it would be stupid IMHO. It's like "best song ever" - I have at least 20 of them, all on the same rank. But sometimes one song wins over the other, next time it's the other way round.

I remember playing the demo of Deus Ex and thinking to myself, how ugly the level and boring the leveldesign is. It's just luck that I bought it nonetheless (well, somebody had to make a gift), because it's a really good game. But I have Gothic, Outcast, Thief II and several other games "higher" on my personal list.

For "best game", Deus Ex mission design is too linear. I prefer (in combination with that particular gameplay!) the possibility to explore the environment as I like, like in System Shock or Ultima Underworld. Otherwise, the RPG-elements don't make that much sense, IMHO.

Sure the demo wasn't just a PART of the world ?

Back
Top Bottom