Steam histograms to combat review bombs

Steam should stand for quality videogames, not skininggamersalive scams.

Per your logic, Amazon (and other online stores) should battle negative reviews on pathetic comics. As Amazon aims to sell.
Well sorry, Amazon won't do it. If you're selling garbage (that is a treasure to someone), people have every right to know what they're paying for up front.

Steam should stand for quality videogames, not skininggamersalive scams.
As long as it sells, it goes.
Per your logic, Amazon (and other online stores) should battle negative reviews on pathetic comics. As Amazon aims to sell.
Well sorry, Amazon won't do it. If you're selling garbage (that is a treasure to someone), people have every right to know what they're paying for up front.
No. Amazon aim to sell. This does not mean that Amazon has the same access to means as Steam.
Amazon deal in material and immaterial goods. Steam mostly in immaterial goods. Amazon was also bound to sustain a return/refunding policy for legal reasons from the start.
Steam could do without a refunding policy and introduced its to spur sales: the short time is not enough to tell of a product, it is long enough to benchmark products. Therefore, as not every player has that a smashing PC, it allows players to see if the product could run on theirs without being hammered.
The cost of the refunding policy is low. It does not involve many costs.

On the other hand, AMazon return policy is of higher cost. It includes shipping, recycling, stocking etc

It is all a benefit for Amazon not to dilute the meaning of negative reviews as it curbs down the costs linked to refunding/returning.

This type of constraint (and others) do not exist for Steam.

The pattern in consumption also differs: people might not collect vacuum cleaners. They look for one and when one is hit by negative reviews, they look for another. They behave the same way as customers who benchmark a video product for one hour and half to see if it runs.

Players might collect products in genres: having one is not enough for them and they will stack. Once customers have bought a vacuum cleaner, others are excluded. It does not work that way for vid products. Once you have bought one, you will buy another, including clones.

Diluting negative reviews come at fewer costs for steam.

From my point of view, those aren't fake.
I do recommend MGS5 for example alway suggesting to keep it offline all the time, but thumbed it down because of forced Narnia patch that was released after all "victims" bought the game.

The patch introduced automatic stealing your singleplayer ress into multiplayer even if you don't play multiplayer (that's why Narnia as ress got moved into nonexisting realm) and added pay2cheat microtransactions.
I have *no* clue what that meant.

Review bombing is just a form of protest against horrible CEOs. And where is the best place to protest? I don't think it's on Codex.
No, it's a form of lying. People are looking to the up/down votes to tell them if THE GAME is good or not. But the reviewers lie and say they hated a game which they actually liked in order to fool those people into thinking the game is bad. Sales go down and the target of the review bombing gets hurt… supposedly. These are essentially mobs, they aren't real good when it comes to aim.

I suspect, though, that you're not review bombing. If the "Narnia" patch is a patch to MGS5 then that's perfectly fair. You're down-voting the game because of something about the game. I might well disagree with you but I won't call it a review bomb. However, if you were to then go on and down-vote Castlevania and Pro Evolution Soccer because of the patch to MGS5, then that would be review bombing.

P.S. Steam doesn't stand for anything. As long as the game isn't AO rated and you're not doing something stupid or damaging, they're fine with it.

There are cases of developer and/or game publisher interviews and advertisements that are misleading or flat out wrong. Such cases are often said to be exaggeration; mere puffery. It's up to the buyer to beware.

"Free to play" games marketed to minors that are not "free" as a practical matter; micro-transactions in games directed to gamer populations that include minors; micro-transactions added to games after purchase. Buyer beware.

The street goes both ways. It's a goose and gander situation. Negative reviews, including review bombing, applied to untrustworthy developers and/or untrustworthy game publishers can be a form of consumers promoting the same maxim of "buyer beware".

__

I'm a nerd, so I like the new stats. I have nothing particular against review bombing though.

No, it's a form of lying. People are looking to the up/down votes to tell them if THE GAME is good or not. But the reviewers lie and say they hated a game which they actually liked in order to fool those people into thinking the game is bad. Sales go down and the target of the review bombing gets hurt… supposedly. These are essentially mobs, they aren't real good when it comes to aim.

The opposite does exist. Usually it happens in crowdfunded products as players understand that depicting a product as it is might hurt the sales and that hurting sales are detrimental to their wish: completion of the product.

There is nothing like fake reviews. There are reviews.

It is not about a product being good or bad. Interest in that notion eliminates the opportunity of declaring a product good when a product crashes regularly and wipes out saves in the doing.

One consequence is that crowdfunded products might see their mark go down in a contradictory way: bug riddled product versions are praised and slowly, while bugs are removed, features are being added, people are forced to admit the product is not going to be the one they wished for.
Yet versions are improved: show stopping bugs were removed and features were added.

Once again a non surprising effort by double standard people to enforce at all costs the legitimacy of positive reviews (as they work as intended to spur sales)
and remove as much as possible of legitimacy to negative reviews (as they work against intent)

If Steam pisses off enough of its customers they will fight back, like this:

Back
Top Bottom