Divinity: Original Sin II - About the Definitive Edition

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Larian Studios brings us more news about the Definitive Edition of Divinity: Original Sin II, some of which is provided by means of a video.

When we decided to bring Divinity: Original Sin 2 to console, we knew we didn't want to just repackage the same game and put it on a store shelf. We wanted to take the opportunity to improve it and craft an even better experience than what we delivered in 2017. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition, available in August will come with 1000s of changes that take into account all the feedback we've received. Check out our latest Kickstarter update to see Swen quiz the team about what some of these changes are.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition will be completely free to everyone who owns Original Sin 2! Without the support of everyone who bought the game already, and without all the feedback we’ve received from you, we couldn’t have made this new and improved edition of Divinity: Original Sin 2. As a little "thank you" to you all, we’re ensuring you'll get to enjoy all of the improvements without spending a cent more! Because we know some of our will want to still play the original version, both versions will remain available on PC and you'll be able to select which one you want to play.
What follows in the update is an incomplete overview of changes, including this one about the changes made for console support.

We didn't make any significant graphical, UI, gameplay or story changes for the PS4 or Xbox One but the one thing we didn't manage to port to console is the Game Master mode. This will come as a disappointment to some of you but will probably be no surprise to those who've played with it. The number of menus present in Game Master mode and the speed with which a GM needs to be react to the antics of a party made it impossible to make a port that would be fun to play with. All other online modes are available however and playing in split-screen with two controllers is a blast! We've also included a new hot-seat arena mode which is loads of fun!
More information.

News from Larian always makes my day a bit better.

Really disappointed they never did a Mac version. This is exactly the kind of game I'd like to play on my laptop + K&M.

Me too. We have one PC for game playing and several Macs. Hoped to play this coop with my daughter on two computers... though it does play split screen coop on a PC so we may try that.

I'll hope this is the end of this Larian era, and the beginning of something greater and better. I was ok with the first Original Sin project, but they lost me with the second, I'm hoping for something new or perhaps a return to their collective roots with their next offering.

I'll hope this is the end of this Larian era, and the beginning of something greater and better. I was ok with the first Original Sin project, but they lost me with the second, I'm hoping for something new or perhaps a return to their collective roots with their next offering.
Second this but as Drithius said above the sale numbers prove this wont happen.

I kind of agree. They need to go back and make an updated open world fleshed out true sequel to Divine Divinity, still by far their best game. The Original Sin series becomes tedious for me after a while, I am not the hugest fan of long drawn out tactical battles.

Larian has become obsessed with features that even their customers do not really care much about like single screen multiplayer, controller support and the like and even did their own survey of their customers that listed these things as their least favorite.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here. I think the Original Sin series is played out for now. I suspect they will do a kickstarter again which is semi-ludicrous with as big as they have become.

What is the statistical basis for this comment? I'll grant you that I don't care about split screen or dual screen co-op but i have no clue with regards to the number of people who do care. Also to their credit they don't require that i play split screen or co-op so i'm not even sure it really matters.

Larian has become obsessed with features that even their customers do not really care much about like single screen multiplayer, controller support and the like and even did their own survey of their customers that listed these things as their least favorite.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here. I think the Original Sin series is played out for now. I suspect they will do a kickstarter again which is semi-ludicrous with as big as they have become.

What is the statistical basis for this comment? I'll grant you that I don't care about split screen or dual screen co-op but i have no clue with regards to the number of people who do care. Also to their credit they don't require that i play split screen or co-op so i'm not even sure it really matters.
The basis is the poll that Larian themselves conducted:

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/897569486232006656
(There are two columns labelled Co-op but the rightmost one is actually PvP, mislabeled)

The results show that multiplayer (co-op and pvp) is far and away the feature that their customers care least about.

(There are two columns labelled Co-op but the rightmost one is actually PvP, mislabeled)

The results show that multiplayer (co-op and pvp) is far and away the feature that their customers care least about.
Yep remember reading the update with the poll results and was surprised. Seems the fan-base wants Larian to focus more on singleplayer, and not co-op & multiplayer.

Now one can argue about the demographics who participated for a straw-man argument. Examples would be age, race, and other factors other polls use for a basis.

Yeah it's obviously not a scientific poll. But it did involve 15K people.

Thanks for calling me out; I had forgotten about that poll. I wonder if it includes console players. Anyone know ?

Was that a poll to the general public or just kickstarter backers ?

Yep remember reading the update with the poll results and was surprised. Seems the fan-base wants Larian to focus more on singleplayer, and not co-op & multiplayer.

Now one can argue about the demographics who participated for a straw-man argument. Examples would be age, race, and other factors other polls use for a basis.

I always assumed it was just to backers, since they only recorded fifteen thousand votes, but I'm not one hundred percent sure on that. It stuns me that multiplayer seemed so important, always made me wonder if the survey was tainted or something, it just doesn't make sense.

It's not. As I said, was posted publicly for anyone to respond.

Back
Top Bottom