Merge some forums!

I prefer the basic structure of the forum as is, but like some people said; new games are coming. Dragon Age for instance, I think might require it's own forum. I fully agree that G1,2, and 3 should be merged, at the very least. If space has to be made for new games though, I can see that it would be a tough call to decide which ones to sack and which ones to give their own little spot in the sun.

Anyway, I like what Wolfing and Prime Junta said, about expanding current forums to include games of the same series or same dev/publisher. For instance, if the Watch had been more TES oriented, I'd say give a TES forum that includes all the TES related games; or even a Bethesda forum.

Same with D&D or Bioware; -and so on.

Seperating topics the way it is done on the site, helps that threads don't disappear into oblivion too soon, for less regular visitors like myself. When I come over to the Watch, I immediately know where to go, to go and check on my favourite topics.

Hi - why not ask yourselves what you want your forums to achieve, then choose what to do on that basis?

Personally, I come here to hear about and talk about RPGs - it's that simple. I don't know what the separate forums per title are supposed to achieve. For some people, they have no interest in X… but are you really trying to anticipate that? If you want to reflect what people are interested in, well… threads are sorted in order of update. Your forum members will keep the stuff they're interested in on top. If it's all River of Time, then ok, if it's Gothic 4 ok… Not sure why you're trying to make this decision for them with separate areas 'baked in'. If people want say, help on a particular RPG, that's what your search function is for.

Alternatively, if you do feel people do want to come to more specific forums, I would try and reflect the terms most people think in and do it by whoever gives us the game. There's no need for super-precise naming, you just need to use descriptive text that reflects the term your audience thinks in. So something like:

Piranha Bytes (The Gothics and Risen)
CD Projekt (The Witchers)
Bioware (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, Dragon Age, KOTOR, Mass Effect…)
Radon Labs (Drakensang, River of Time)
Bethesda (The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3)

Other (Alpha Protocol, Deep Shadow titles (Boiling Point) Troika titles (Bloodlines)…)

Indies (Tactica, Age of Decadence…)

This would spare you the effort of starting and retiring forums often. You could consider a subforum for spoilers in each perhaps? You always get some edge cases, but not that many. The original Fallouts probably don't live under Bethesda, the Obsidian NWN2 expansion doesn't want to go with Obsidian's Alpha Protocol, but it wouldn't be worth worrying over if you capture the main structure of the RPG producing industry :) And you' be able to have lots of discussion over wherever you put Gothic 4 ;)

Maybe some good ideas in there, but interestingly most members who posted in this thread, liked it the way it's been; and since a website is a community, the best policy would be to go with the will of the majority, I'd say.

Still, one should always be prepared to look at new ideas, I suppose.

The powers that be could always do a poll on this, if they wanted to… :roll:

...though for me, I must say that personally I'm happy with the basic structure. :)

The people here are by definition the ones who like it. I imagine the people going elsewhere like it a bit less ;)

One forum has been merged into another and I've added a few

NWN2 is now a subforum General RPG
Drakensang is now splitted into a Drakensang and a River of Time forum
Risen forum has been added
Dragon Age forum has been added

Last edited:
Hm, personally, I would have done a "general NWN" sub-forum, containing both NWN1 & NWN2, but since this game doesn't receive that much attention anymore, removing it completely might be plausible ...

The NWN2 forum is not removed. It is a subforum of General RPG

I've seen it now.

Maybe the NWN2 forum can be refashinoned to a general purpose DnD RPG forum? like a place for all those BG, ToEE, etc thread? While there may or may not be much talk about them, it wouldn't hurt if they had a separate space on the forum ...

Hm, I think this would make some kind of sense. A general (A)D&D games forum ...

Traffic in General CRPG and NWN 2 delivers no hint that there is demand for D&D forum.

Back
Top Bottom