General News - Gamespot: The best RPGs of 2018

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamespot's best RPGs of 2018 are:

The Best RPGs Of 2018 By Review Score

Role-playing games have long since entered the mainstream and the influence of their popularity on other genres is undeniable. The most borrowed facet of the RPG experience is the idea of long-term character growth and customization, a concept now commonly found in fighting games, shooters, and sports sims. It's a universally useful way to remain engaged with a game over time and uncover depth as your skills improve.

[...]

PC Games:
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes Of An Elusive Age - 9/10
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 8/10
Monster Hunter World - 8/10
Ni No Kuni II: The Revenant Kingdom - 8/10
Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire - 8/10
The Banner Saga 3 - 8/10

New Editions:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition - 10/10
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut - 8/10

Ports:
Diablo III: Eternal Collection (Switch Port) - 9/10
Battle Chasers: Nightwar (Switch Port) - 8/10
Child Of Light (Switch Port) - 8/10
Dark Souls Remastered (Switch Port) - 8/10
West Of Loathing (Switch Port) - 8/10
Transistor (Switch Port) - 8/10

Console only:
Octopath Traveler - 8/10
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Evee - 8/10
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology - 8/10
The Alliance Alive - 8/10
More information.

Well honestly does anyone expect major gaming sites to give Pathfinder: Kingmaker the GOTY award? Nope nada not gonna happen sorry. Maybe on small sites or forums.

At least Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire,The Banner Saga 3, Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition, and Wasteland 2: Director's Cut made their list.

All are good RPGs at least.

Well honestly does anyone expect major gaming sites to give Pathfinder: Kingmaker the GOTY award?
There's not only black and white.
But a game like P:K should at least be mentioned.

Well it wasn't one of Gamespot's better rated RPGs, and they only gave it a 6/10.

Link - https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pathfinder-kingmaker-review-the-classics/1900-6417006/
All-told, Kingmaker isn't a stellar outing, hampered by a litany of small issues, balancing, and the gargantuan knowledge base you'll need to play most effectively. But, for those with the patience, the rewards are well worth the investment.
It's sitting at 72/100 on metacritic with larger known sites scoring it more negative. So it supports what I said above in my last reply. Here is the metacritic reviews link.

Link - https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pathfinder-kingmaker/critic-reviews

Anyway I'm sure it will win first or second place on this site instead of just average.

Well it wasn't one of Gamespot's better rated RPGs, and they only gave it a 6/10.
Well, then you hardly can consider it for GOTY.

My first thought that the problem may have been the bugged state of the release version where I could have understood a low ranking. So I just read the review and there's not a single mention of bugs or technical flaws. (Makes me wonder if they've seriously played the game at all.)
And finally when I see that a "the bad" is that "Requires an overwhelming amount of background knowledge" and "Combat can be unforgiving" it's obvious that they just have different demand than me (us?) when it comes to RPGs.

We will have a review of the game up in a day or so. It reads quite different from the Gamespot review :)

Well, then you hardly can consider it for GOTY.
No I call your replies nitpicky as I explained why larger mainstream sites won't pick Pathfinder:Kingmaker as GOTY. It has nothing to do with being black or white thinking.

TLDR: It's not mainstream enough or sold more then five million copies.

Based on the already news-bit lists it looks like Assassin Creed Odyssey or RDR 2 will be the pick of those sites. Anyway I'm done with this topic have a Merry X-Mas.

I can't even understand why Wasteland 2: Director's Cut is on the list, given it wasn't released in 2018...

I can't even understand why Wasteland 2: Director's Cut is on the list, given it wasn't released in 2018…
Well if you count the 2018 Nintendo Switch release…it was.

"Requires an overwhelming amount of background knowledge" and "Combat can be unforgiving"

I thought that Dark Souls is also unforgiving and requires knowledge about enemies. What is praised in hyped game is a negative for unknown game? "Very strange and unheard of".

It also sounds like reviewers need handholding and were heavily surprised they need some knowledge to play CRPG nowadays. :)

New editions are now so commons that they get their own categories. lol.

I thought that Dark Souls is also unforgiving and requires knowledge about enemies. What is praised in hyped game is a negative for unknown game? "Very strange and unheard of".

It also sounds like reviewers need handholding and were heavily surprised they need some knowledge to play CRPG nowadays. :)

Different reviewers usually. If it is the same one, he's just pandering to the site "readers" and they like action games like Dark Souls but aren't interested in "old school" D&Dish games.

It's usually pretty easy to see if a review is based on how the game is perceived (popularity/hype) instead of meaningful playtest from the reviewer though.

In the case of Kingmaker though, most of the people complaining about it being hard had brain-farts: they were incapable of lowering the difficulty or realizing that encounters might be higher level than them like in lots of games.

Hey, so where is Fallout 76 on the list, I don't see it??...:p

P:K might be the best, but I've decided to put it away until it's 100% finished. From what I've played I'd say it's really good but very uneven. So yes, it seems pretty good!

But apart form the widely documented bugs and uneven difficulty and long, tedious last chapter (which I have only read about) I'd like to add the following: Some of the writing is just terrible. Yes, it's a Russian developer. But they really should have worked with a better editor to make the English translation and final written product better. It often seems written by teenagers.

The first proper dungeon I found was pretty boring and pointlessly complex in its layout, too No spoilers, but I'm referring to "Big Tree". So after clearing that, I decided to let it be completely finished before playing further.

Yes, tons of promise. But Not sure I could call it a best RPG in the shape it is in. It's been months, and there's still some pretty glaring issues. Simply being able to finish a game should not be a thing to brag about.

I think that's a good call on Pathfinder, I stopped playing a few months ago in chapter two, and I do plan on going back to finish once all the updates, patches, and content all land safely. I would disagree with the tree dungeon, I think that's one I actually completed and I really enjoyed it myself.

Well if you count the 2018 Nintendo Switch release…it was.

Gamespot didn't even care to disclaim they were talking about the Nintendo Switch port. They just wrote "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut - 8/10"

It has nothing to do with being black or white thinking.
With black or white I was refering to another thing: the game could have been mentioned (grey) without winning GOTY award (white) instead of not being mentioned at all (black).

Back
Top Bottom