Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Final Fantasy I-VI are getting remastered and released on Steam and other platforms. Might be worthwhile for people who liked the older games but not the remakes/remasters that are already available.

https://www.ign.com/articles/final-...-gets-new-screenshots-and-release-window-date

FF 1, 2, & 3 will be available July 28th with 4, 5, & 6 coming at a later date. You can also buy all six games in a bundle, though the price is kind of high imo.

Am a bit cautious on this one.
On one hand, I really like what SquEnix did with the recent SNES Romancing SaGa remasters (tasteful retro graphics upgrade with modest quality of life improvements).
On the other hand, they have created truly awful FF re-releases for mobile years ago.

As you may already know, FF VI on the SNES is pretty much perfect (although not the bestest evar game in my book). The only questionable quality is the English translation - but that could be fixed by many fan translations, e.g. SkyRender.

So, aside re-translating the game (similar to Seiken Densetsu 3 in the Mana Collection), what else SquEnix could do?
Well. . . tweaking the random encounter and save anywhere are the only things I'd look forward to. . . but is this qualifies as a new "pixel remaster"?

Let's hope SquEnix won't go ballistic on this one.

I'm somewhat intrigued by this new offering, yet I'll be waiting to let others take the plunge first, to see if there's any real reason to acquire these versions, as the ones I currently have serve me just fine.

Last time I played all these games was on the PlayStation in the early 2000's. They released two collections called Final Fantasy Chronicles & Final Fantasy Anthology.

The later release versions on Steam were garbage with 3D phone graphics.

Let's hope SquEnix won't go ballistic on this one.

It seems like they're doing this because they know fans want the original versions of these games on other platforms. Other than the higher resolution sprites and some QOL features, I don't think they're adding much.

FF I-IV have never been released on PC except for those ugly 3D versions of FF III & IV, so it'll be nice to finally have access to those for the fans who want them.

Look at the screenshots shown on Steam though, the remasters look awful. The sprites are nice, but what's up with that font and the keys they've chosen to use the menus? In fact, what's up with the way the menus look? And why did they chose names like these for their characters in their promotional screenshots? The whole thing just screams low effort cash grab.

ss_e4855638d62e548b6538d50b4264d4205782ffc3.1920x1080.jpg

Look at the screenshots shown on Steam though, the remasters look awful. The sprites are nice, but what's up with that font and the keys they've chosen to use the menus? In fact, what's up with the way the menus look? And why did they chose names like these for their characters in their promotional screenshots? The whole thing just screams low effort cash grab.

Hopefully the keys will be rebindable, but that's really a nitpick tbh. Fans already know that these are best played with a gamepad.

I agree about the font. It's too small and looks really generic.

Hopefully the keys will be rebindable, but that's really a nitpick tbh. Fans already know that these are best played with a gamepad.

I agree about the font. It's too small and looks really generic.

It's such an easy thing to do though, have a decent key layout and don't use keys from all over the keyboard. And while yes games like these are best played with a gamepad, Squenix has a pretty lousy track record when it comes to actually offering functional gamepad support in their JRPGs. The last FF V port would randomly jump around in the menu at times if you had a gamepad plugged in, which was a known issue that never got fixed. FF XIII and XIII-2 both have a known issue where the game with lock up if you have an Xinput controller plugged in, FF IX worked but would sometimes lag as a result of a controller as it would try to read the input too many times per second if you were using the control sticks. It's not a guarantee that a gamepad will be the way to go with Squenix JRPG ports on PC, particularly not mobile ones. Most non-mobile ports work fine (barring XIII and XIII-2) but most mobile ports don't work fine.

I'd say they have a pretty lousy track record with PC ports in general.

Yeah, no denying that. But I think gamepads deserves a special mention here as many of these games, particularly their mobile ports, somehow managed to have really busted gamepad support.

Yeah, no denying that. But I think gamepads deserves a special mention here as many of these games, particularly their mobile ports, somehow managed to have really busted gamepad support.

I've only played FF VII, Crono Trigger, and Saga Frontier on Steam, and I didn't have any problems using a gamepad with them. The issues with other games don't surprise me though considering how janky their PC ports are in general.

It's surprising that a company as established as Square is still struggling to put out good PC ports. I remember when Capcom used to be the same way, but they obviously put significant effort into improving their ports because they've been solid for a long time now. Square needs to take notes.

I've only played FF VII, Crono Trigger, and Saga Frontier on Steam, and I didn't have any problems using a gamepad with them. The issues with other games don't surprise me though considering how janky their PC ports are in general.

It's surprising that a company as established as Square is still struggling to put out good PC ports. I remember when Capcom used to be the same way, but they obviously put significant effort into improving their ports because they've been solid for a long time now. Square needs to take notes.

I think the philosophy behind their PC ports is to earn some quick cash with as little resources as possible.

Sadly Gothic, you may be correct here. I used to marvel at the nostalgia I felt seeing some of these games coming back with upgraded graphics, and sometimes a bit more content. Currently though, some of these so-called "remasters" look somewhat worse than the actual original versions. You do have to actually give value for these games, as many people that might purchase the new versions are quite aware of how the game already looks.

Well, I don't care how good the upgraded graphics may or may not be, should any content be taken out for the new releases, I'll surely not be giving any money towards that deplorable effort. That's literally the definition of being mean.

A couple of relevant articles on PC Gamer:

Some content added to 5 and 6 will be taken away again in the new versions:
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-ugliest-final-fantasy-games-are-vanishing-from-steam-next-month/

And griping about the fonts:
https://www.pcgamer.com/people-are-really-pissed-at-final-fantasy-pixel-remasters-ugly-fonts/

The fonts are definitely kind of ugly, but I'm a little surprised people are making that much of a stink over them.

As far as the extra content, I assume they're referring to the optional dungeons and bosses that were added to the mobile versions. Those didn't serve much of a purpose other than offering players extra content for grinding.

After realizing this remake was an homage to the original game, and not the latter ones, I decided to pick it up a few days ago. I've put about ten hours in so far, and it's pretty damn fun, although it feel a lot easier now than I remember it being back when I initially played it. Granted, that was some time ago, so my memories may not be totally accurate!

The new version is definitely easier at least for FF1. They reduced the cost of items and added a mini-map that even shows you where the chests are located in dungeons. I've also seen it said that you level up faster as well, although I can't confirm that.

Nod, the leveling truly seems faster for sure. I'm having a good time with this, I'll likely pick up the second and third games as well, in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom