What games are you playing now?

Picked up some cheap gems at the Steam sale and among them was Sacred 1 for .99
I love this game, there is a purpose of where you are headed and when the areas are cleared out the respawn is over. I got rid of all my box games awhile back and this is one I never replaced. I have played so many action RPG's that I can't get into but this hits the spot.
On deck; Wizardry 6 and 7. both cheap so why not. Never played either yet and I still have 8 installed and play it frequently.

Honestly, retro gaming is more fun lately. I also picked up NeverWinter nights enhanced version. My nights are full of goodness.

Installed Dark Souls Remastered just to mess around with it and see how it compares to the original. You'd think From Software would have had a clue about K+M controls by the time they did the remaster, but nope, the default controls are pretty bad.

At first the game was very twitchy and kept flashing between keyboard and PS4 button prompts. I finally figured out that I had to unplug my Bluetooth dongle because the game was somehow partially detecting my DualShock 4 gamepad despite the fact that it was powered off. Kind of shocking that a bug like that would still exist more than a year after release.

The default key bindings are pretty dumb imo. Why LMB+shift to do a strong attack instead of just binding normal attack to LMB and strong attack to RMB? Having to hit LMB+shift+space simultaneously to do a jump attack seems counter-intuitive. Is that the same setup the 2nd and 3rd games use?

I have that Dark Souls game also and it frustrates me as well. I grew up playing games with controller all the time but I guess I spent too much time on a computer with the keyboard and mouse. I just couldn't spin around fast enough with the mouse so I think that game is just best played with a controller. I'm sure there are others who disagree and have no trouble.

I changed a few key bindings, and it feels better now after spending some more time with it. I've seen people say that you actually turn faster with K+M than with a gamepad. It might be dependant on your settings though. You can tweak the speed of the X and Y axis in the settings.

It's still not ideal though, and the camera feels pretty janky compared to other 3rd-person PC games. I might give it a try with my DualShock 4 pad, but I'd prefer to play with K+M.

I used to play the Dark Souls games with K&M, but after playing with the PS3 controller (on PC), it felt more natural and responsive and can never go back with K&M with Souls' type games.

My experience,

DS 1 required 3rd party mouse and keyboard software and durante's mods to get it to work nice with M&K.

DS 2 was much better and only required minor tweaking.

DS 3 and sekiro played flawlessly with M&K imo.

I beat DS 1 and 2 and platinumed sekiro with M&K. I would have platinumed DS3 but ended up platinuming it on PS4 to play with my brothers.

I didn't purchase the remaster but to be perfectly honest if I went back to play 1 or 2 I'd use a controller but DS3 and sekiro I'd stick to M&K.

I'm actually pretty happy with from soft's progress in M&K support. Especially since they admitted not having any experience with the PC platform when they ported DS1, and it showed. They could have just left it pretty broken and said "it's designed for a controller" but they put time and money in to getting it right.

It's completely subjective. I tried my DS4 pad for awhile and, while the camera felt a little smoother, certain moves were harder for me to pull off.

I also find playing with M+K slightly more immersive, though I can't explain why.

Started playing Giants Citizen Kabuto, a game I played and loved back in the day. A superb game. Went through the Mech campaign, and stumbled on some bugs but it was manageable. But when I reached the Delphi campaign, it's almost impossible to play. Somehow my turbo ability no longer works, and I have to take damage from enemies until I manage to get up close to them.

Anyways, I think I'll stop it here. I don't want to tarnish my memory of this amazing game. I loved it back in the day, and it's still perfect for me.

The good news about Remedy re-acquiring their rights to Alan Wake made me want to replay it. I'm doing it on Nightmare difficulty and with developer commentary on. I always like getting this sort of extra context to things done in the game. Remedy is one of the dev studios that consistently put out decent to great things. I still haven't played their Quantum Break, and I've been meaning to, but the low scores kind of put it off for me. I plan on playing at some point.

@danutz_plusplus; I remember Giants: Citizen Kabuto quite well. It's one of the strangest games I've ever played. The three stories played so differently they were like three separate games. Too bad about the bugs though.. are you playing the GOG version?

I could never get into Alan Wake despite being a big fan of horror. I should probably give it another try someday. I think I went in with the wrong expectations on that one.

@danutz_plusplus; I remember Giants: Citizen Kabuto quite well. It's one of the strangest games I've ever played. The three stories played so differently they were like three separate games. Too bad about the bugs though.. are you playing the GOG version?

Yes, the gameplay was very different among the three campaigns. I loved that. And it's one of the first games I played that married 3rd person shooting, with some basic strategy mechanics (collecting resources, building things, etc). And it did it quite well in my opinion. But it was the story and characters/voice actors that won me over initially. It was very ambitious in my opinion. There was talk a few years back of doing a spiritual successor (though, Armed and Dangerous could be argued to have already been that) but I remember the kickstart failed? Sad panda. :(

I started the steam version after applying some patches and community fixes. But I may need to play it on gog instead.

I could never get into Alan Wake despite being a big fan of horror. I should probably give it another try someday. I think I went in with the wrong expectations on that one.

I liked the story quite a bit, even though it is sometimes a bit clumsy. But I loved it in the end, especially with the final DLCs and the American Nightmare spin-off. Loved that. The hardest thing to get through is the gameplay in my opinion. The combat scenarios tend to get a bit repetitive, as it's always the same "the fog sets in, the weird humming music starts up, and shadowy figures come out of the forest to get you". It does get a bit old after a while. And you can never tell if sometimes enemies respawn endlessly, or if sometimes they're limited. Both cases seem to happen some of the time.

But if you can get past that, I find a very good game.

I started Earthlock from GOG a few days ago. Nice game, but the UI is … absolutely horrible. Not even consistent keys.

I restarted Mages of Mystralia a few days ago and I could use some hints and tips if anyone has played this game, too.
Please PM me if you can help me. I've just entered the castle town.

I enjoyed Earthlock for what it was, but I agree about the UI, it really takes some getting used to. It isn't friendly, at least the story is good and the combat engaging, so even with the UI issue, it's a game worth playing, in my opinion.

Yes, combat & story are nice, as far as I can tell. I'm still in the first swamp, and I'm having difficulty with that pirate boss. Any tips for me ?

I don't recall him being too difficult, but I explored a lot and may have hit him at a higher level. Don't be stingy with items, they got me through many a tough battle.

Picked up the Bioshock1 Remaster a couple days ago and started giving it a go. We'll see if the atmosphere is just as engulfing as the first time I played. Not remotely a shooter player (not really my kind of game, and I'm TEH SUXXORZ anyway) but I certainly knocked out that series. I've got the Bioshock2 Remaster waiting in the wings.

I've been on-and-off playing Doom 2016 for the last week or so. I've dabble a bit in multiplayer, and it's fine, but nothing extraordinary. And it's getting very hard to find people to play with.

But I've been mostly playing the campaign on Nightmare, and its particularly difficult. But that's not what's been keeping me up at night. For the past few days I've been trying to get an achievement which requires you to play the first level to completion on Ultra Nightare, which they say is basically Nightmare difficulty but if you die, you restart the whole campaign.

And I say they say it should be the Nightmare level of AI, but I find the enemies way more aggressive and dangerous. And I've been seeing people speed run the whole game on Ultra-Nightmare, and I can't seem to get through the first level to get that achievement. Damn. I must not be as good as I thought I was. :biggrin:

But it's definitely given new meaning to playing Doom. The imps and demon soldiers are wiping the floor with me. I constantly have to dodge projectiles, can't stay in too much open field as then there are way too many projectiles to dodge, can't get close to them as they'll punch and kick me to death, and I basically have to jump among them to deliver finishing moves in order to get a bit of health back, and take advantage of the invulnerability you have during finishing move animations. After this I hope to continue with the campaign on the same difficulty, but without the campaign wipe on death. That's just insane. But I at least want that achievement for doing it at least on the first level.

Yeah, I hate it but I love it. :biggrin:

I'm still making my way through Final Fantasy Four: After-Years. I thought when I first got this that it was an expansion or continuation of the Fourth game, but it's a game all its own, just featuring some of the characters that were in the fourth game. I'm not even sure what other game I'd compare it to, you play a certain character in each part, and during the course of that segment others will often join your party. It's really an odd creature.

Back
Top Bottom