Windows 7 vs 10

Unrestigered

Banned
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows-7

Is this review accurate? My wife has a windows 8.1 and I hate it. Can you left click the start menu now? Can I completely turn off the app page so it never, ever can be shown on my computer? Can I get to certain menus from the desktop without knowing the secret mouse over spot for the unintuitive sub-menus? Basically what I'm asking will I be able to run it the way I have been running my PC since Windows 3? Or should I stick to 7? Anyone plan on running both, and if so, how and why? Any information would be appreciated. I love you and you complete me.

Is this review accurate?
Who cares.

My wife has a windows 8.1 and I hate it.
Get divorced already instead of whining.

Can you left click the start menu now?
You can left click or right click the start menu. Different click, different options.

Can I completely turn off the app page so it never, ever can be shown on my computer?
I have no idea what are you talking about. It's windows 10. It's not Google app store nor iPhone app store, can you save phones discussion for codex please?

Can I get to certain menus from the desktop without knowing the secret mouse over spot for the unintuitive sub-menus?
There are no unintuitive submenus. You can go to any menu and submenu from desktop. What are "secret mouse spots" supposed to be? A hole in a wall from Tom & Jerry?

Basically what I'm asking will I be able to run it the way I have been running my PC since Windows 3?
Sorry but you won't be able. You needed to type "win" in dos prompt to start windows 3 or put that as a line in autoexec.bat. Windows 10 starts automatically, it's not appended to a command line OS.

Or should I stick to 7?
That's something only you can know. If you don't need superfast Edge with integrated PDF reader and couldn't care less for directX12, there is no real reason to upgrade at least for a year from next tuesday.

Anyone plan on running both, and if so, how and why?
There is no reason to run "both". If you're getting Win10 Pro, you automatically get HyperV that is a virtual environment, in case you need older OS installed you just pull it up inside it (it reads installation media and iso files).

Any information would be appreciated. I love you and you complete me.
Dunno about others, but I don't complete you and I seriously doubt you could ever love me. Not that I care.

Answered in case someone else has one or two similar questions.
Instead of petty "reviews" I suggest this read, it's first impressions from the heart, not benchmarking and whatnot of irrelevant stuff:
http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-10-day-one-1719864054

Last edited:
The only thing that stuck out to me was one quote in the comments;

Don't give me an OS that tries to be my cloud storage, feeds me ads, requires an MS account to even login, uses tiles/apps unless I actually choose them, or tries to track me even if it's only non-personally identifiable. It's an OS, get over yourself. You should be able to make an OS that uses the same drivers from one version to the next. I know you think DRM is worth rewriting the driver model every iteration... I can assure you it isn't. Strip IE from the OS too. I don't want IE, but if you ever do make a decent browser, I should be able to fully install/remove it for the purpose of trying it out. Finally give me an EULA that isn't demanding my first born. Reduce it to one page that a non-lawyer can understand and doesn't have ANY provision allowing you to collect data from OS use. It's none of your business how I use my computer unless I tell you voluntarily.

That is something I would pay for.

This
I am perfectly happy with my dual boot machine of Win7 and Linux Mint. Dx12 just isn't a big enough carrot.

Is this review accurate?
Who cares.

In my experience usually the person asking the question.

My wife has a windows 8.1 and I hate it.
Get divorced already instead of whining.

Are you still upset I wouldn’t send you a picture of my penis? I just don’t like to do things like that. Even if I got a divorce I still wouldn’t sleep with you. I like my women like I like my wallet.

Can you left click the start menu now?
You can left click or right click the start menu. Different click, different options.

In Windows 8.1 when I left click the start menu button it brings up an apps page. It doesn’t bring up the start menu, right clicking does.

Can I completely turn off the app page so it never, ever can be shown on my computer?
I have no idea what are you talking about. It's windows 10. It's not Google app store nor iPhone app store, can you save phones discussion for codex please?

You are a very strange man. Can you save your weird for the codex please? But you are correct. It is not a google or iphone app store, it is windows app store. I don’t deal in apps. I don’t have a tablet, and the cell phone my work tries and make me use is in my desk draw and has never been turned on. I have a real computer that has applications. I have a house phone and a desk phone. I have never typed a message to anyone on a phone in my life and never will. I’ve never used anything that the monkeys change from a noun to a verb, such as google, twitter, facebook, etc. Cell phones are awful and are destroying the little bit of civilization left on the planet and I hope the people that use them get brain cancer and die. And tablets are just shitty computers, and I don’t know why anyone with a real computer would want one. So put that in your strange weirdo pipe and smoke it at the codex.

Can I get to certain menus from the desktop without knowing the secret mouse over spot for the unintuitive sub-menus?
There are no unintuitive submenus. You can go to any menu and submenu from desktop. What are "secret mouse spots" supposed to be? A hole in a wall from Tom & Jerry?

Have you used windows 8.1? For certain menus I need to drag the mouse on the left hand side of the screen until I find the secret spot to get the menus to show, and it is the same on the right. Maybe your strange weirdness grants you some sort of super nerd power allowing you to see the secret spots, just as you see through the evil corporate schemes of the companies you buy games from.

Basically what I'm asking will I be able to run it the way I have been running my PC since Windows 3?
Sorry but you won't be able. You needed to type "win" in dos prompt to start windows 3 or put that as a line in autoexec.bat. Windows 10 starts automatically, it's not appended to a command line OS.

Very witty, ma’am. I mean does it work civilized, with the desktop only, and no app page every time I try and do something.

Or should I stick to 7?
That's something only you can know. If you don't need superfast Edge with integrated PDF reader and couldn't care less for directX12, there is no real reason to upgrade at least for a year from next Tuesday.

Yes, and I am trying to gather the information I need so I can make the choice. What I need is a desktop OS, not an app store OS, and I need real American menus with visible places to click to get to them, and no secret hidden spot pop-up menus.

Any information would be appreciated. I love you and you complete me.
Dunno about others, but I don't complete you and I seriously doubt you could ever love me. Not that I care.

You do complete me, and even though I won’t have sex with you and let you drag your saggy titties across my face I still love you. I love you so much it hurts. I will always love you and I wrote a poem for you.

I've cracked the code
I've figured out these shadow organizations
And the Illuminati know
That they're finally primed for world domination
And soon you've got black helicopters comin' cross the border
Puppet masters for the New World Order
Be aware: there's always someone that's watching you
And still the government won't admit they faked the whole moon landing
Thought control rays, psychotronic scanning
Don't mind that, I'm protected cause I made this hat
From aluminum foil
Wear a hat that's foil lined
In case an alien's inclined
To probe your butt or read your mind
Looks a bit peculiar
Seems a little crazy
But someday I'll prove
There's a big conspiracy

Answered in case someone else has one or two similar questions.
Instead of petty "reviews" I suggest this read, it's first impressions from the heart, not benchmarking and whatnot of irrelevant stuff:
http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-10-day-one-1719864054

What the fuck is this? Is this a blog thing? How would ready the blog of a San Francisco millennial help me know if windows 10 is civilized? People that hang out at pizzerias also hang out in cafes. They can’t be trusted. Only monkey savages get coffee at places other than Dunkin Donuts. Dunkin Donuts is the only place civilized people of science and learning go for coffee. Period. Absolutely no wiggle room on this one. It is undisputable scientific fact.

Ok serious answer here. Don't know about Windows 10, but I use Windows 8 and it's great, faster than Windows 7 and, after I installed the free 'Classic Shell' it's just like using Windows 7.
Having said that, supposedly Windows 10 brings back the Start button so I might not need Classic Shell for it, but if there are any issues I'm sure there will be a 'Classic Shell for Windows 10' up in nanoseconds.

This
I am perfectly happy with my dual boot machine of Win7 and Linux Mint. Dx12 just isn't a big enough carrot.

I am definitely leaning this way. I don't really care of they collect my information if they give it to me for free, but it sounds like I can't get rid of the app page store thing.

Ok serious answer here. Don't know about Windows 10, but I use Windows 8 and it's great, faster than Windows 7 and, after I installed the free 'Classic Shell' it's just like using Windows 7.
Having said that, supposedly Windows 10 brings back the Start button so I might not need Classic Shell for it, but if there are any issues I'm sure there will be a 'Classic Shell for Windows 10' up in nanoseconds.

I just checked it out and it looks like it already works with windows 10. Does this allow you to turn off, or completely avoid the app page store thing? On my wife's computer everything I try and do the god damn page comes up and I have to hit the windows button to get to the desktop, and then what I was trying to use is hidden in the secret left side hidden menus and not on the bottom taskbar. And then I throw pubic hairs at her monitor as I yell in rage and go back to my civilized computer that works correctly.

I'm running win 10 preview. You do boot directly to the desktop and there is a start menu that works like win 7. You do see some tiles in the start menu but the metro interface can be turned off in settings and is off by default. I see no reason to keep win 7 unless you have programs that won't run on win 10. I however do own a couple tablets and a smart phone and started using win 8 when it was a preview copy. In other words I embrace the new and don't hold on to the past with a death grip so our tastes probably differ.

Here's what I had to say in another thread:

Right now I'm play windows 10 insider preview edition.

To my surprise, I find it to be pretty excellent and will not be going back to any other OS. I took the upgrade option fully expecting it to trash my system and I'd have to clean install with the ISO.

However, it worked flawlessly. I haven't had a single problem with it. It restarted in about 15 min with my desktop exactly as it was before I upgraded. All my drives and programs intact even my raid setup and networked drives were unaffected.

I've only tried witches 1&3, divine divinity, DAI, sleeping dogs, and PoE but they all work flawlessly as well. My desktop looks more crisp, I assuming better support for 21:9 and higher resolutions would be the reason for this. Even my stardock programs worked fine like start 8 and fences.

I did uninstall start 8 to test the new win 10 start menu and I won't be reinstalling start 8. The new start menu does have some tiles on it but it's not bad but what I like is the easy scrolling of all your programs.

Metro interface is disable but you can enable it if you want, I haven't yet to see what it looks like and probably won't. All my drivers were the latest version so I didn't need to install any which was nice. Not sure how much that would change if I clean installed.

The new edge browser feels like the fastest browser I've used edging out chrome.

Overall, after 3 days it's a keeper. Nothing revolutionary but a solid improvement IMO. Looking forward to test out dx 12 when a game supporting it releases.

Is Metro the hidden menus on the left and right side of the screen? I can turn that off?

I think your talking about the charm bars that show on the right side of the screen in win 8?

If so they are gone.

I just checked it out and it looks like it already works with windows 10. Does this allow you to turn off, or completely avoid the app page store thing? On my wife's computer everything I try and do the god damn page comes up and I have to hit the windows button to get to the desktop, and then what I was trying to use is hidden in the secret left side hidden menus and not on the bottom taskbar. And then I throw pubic hairs at her monitor as I yell in rage and go back to my civilized computer that works correctly.

yes and yes and yes, really, you totally forget there is Windows 8 underneath unless you run a Windows 8 application. You can disable all the hotspots, replace the start menu in different ways, etc.

One of the things that really pisses me off is that Win 10 enforces automatic updates. Windows 7 already does that by default, but at least it can be disabled. If you're running a job, or sharing things over the network when it decides it's time to reboot for the update - tough luck.

One of the things that really pisses me off is that Win 10 enforces automatic updates. Windows 7 already does that by default, but at least it can be disabled. If you're running a job, or sharing things over the network when it decides it's time to reboot for the update - tough luck.

That happened to me the other night with Win 8.1 ... I had one chance to defer the update, the next time it said "WILL shut down in 2 minutes".

Since I use Win 7 at work and also have Mac OS X at home, I am routinely seeing how things are better or worse between them. And I find in terms of efficiency it is MacOS then Win 7 and then I find Win 8.1 makes everything take an extra step or two to accomplish.

That said I am very happy with the performance and stability of Win 8.1 and how well runs so much of the stuff I want to play.

I think the fundamentals of the Windows OS are excellent these days - extremely fast, stable and polished. The problems are all just nasty design choices that MS decided to impose. But when an OS decides it's going to tell me what it's going to do, instead of what I need it to do, the relationship starts to sour. >:O

I've been running Win10 RTM for at least a week now, iirc. I was in the insider program, but got out right after it went RTM. It's been very nice and stable. But I did have a couple of hickups. Had one crash which forced a reboot. And today I started seeing some screen jitter/flicker sometimes. I'll track that to see if it repeats. Other than that I have no complaints. Games seem to be running fine.

@Ripper: I haven't noticed the forced automatic updates. Since in the insider I was just getting everything as fast as possible to fix possible issues. I did notice that after every major updates the computer does force you to schedule a restart. Anyway, it would seem logical to force an update only if it's some sort of security vulnerability, or something that just can't be put on hold. I'll monitor some more and see how it is.

It's mostly when the PC is unattended that the restarts cause real problems. For example, I've left jobs running and left big downloads overnight, and come back to find them cancelled, and Windows rebooted. I've also had programs crash in the middle of working because I was accessing files on a Windows share on another PC that suddenly went down for a reboot. Not cool.

Don't give me an OS that tries to be my cloud storage, feeds me ads, requires an MS account to even login, uses tiles/apps unless I actually choose them, or tries to track me even if it's only non-personally identifiable…
This
A few words on this.

Yes, you get a sort of cloud storage with win10, but you're not forced to use it.
I'm happy with box.com that doesn't spam you with ads, is free, fast and easy to use and I won't switch to M$ solution. Onedrive is there in case you need it. If you don't need it, to hell with it.

Unlike win8 clean installation, win10 installation will not torture you to make an account on microsoft.com.

I didn't "play with" win 10 enough to answer on tiles/apps comment, but I assure you, there is no default phones Metro garbage but the default UI is a nice and shiny PC start button. You'll adapt in just seconds to win10 if you came from win7. But if your first windows ever were win8 or windowsCE whatever it's called on phones, you'll need more time to adapt.

Mandatory tracking and spying was integrated in win10 demos. And everyone who used those knew, or should have known it. It's removed from RTM version and upon clean installation you can disable sending any info to Microsoft, including bugs/crashes. It's not disabled by default, true, but the options are there.

You're using win7 and are happy with it. There is no pressure to move to win10 in your case. Beside superfast Edge and dx12 the only reason to upgrade win7 to win10 is the free license.
But the freebie is available for next 12 months so as one happy win7 user to another, I suggest to wait a bit. See… Not all possible drivers are already available for win10 and while win7/8 drivers could work, different manufacturers said those might not work properly.

Jesus Christ… I'll keep the food away this time.
Wait…
In Windows 8.1 when I left click the start menu button it brings up an apps page. It doesn’t bring up the start menu, right clicking does.
Do you honestly believe anyone cares about your win8 and win8.1 experience?
You have a question about win7? Or win10? I'll answer. Questions about some phone OS please forward to phonelovers. I'm not one of them.

Your windows 7 was corrupted or not properly configured then.

There is no need for any 3rd party UI in windows 10, you'll see it yourself in 5 days when you switch to win10.
Unlike win7 users who should IMO stick with it for a while, I suggest winxp and previous versions, winVista and win8 users to upgrade immediately.

Only home/standard version.
You don't want mandatory automatic updates? Buy win10 professional.
Or… And I bet it'll happen, wait till 3rd party makes an util that will prevent it or till M$ drops the idea as it's really bad.

Only home/standard version.
You don't want mandatory automatic updates? Buy win10 professional.
Or… And I bet it'll happen, wait till 3rd party makes an util that will prevent it or till M$ drops the idea as it's really bad.

No way I'm paying for an upgrade to Pro just to avoid mandatory updates, nor do I think much of needing hacks to prevent my OS rebooting at its leisure. I don't really care anymore, anyway. I only use Windows for gaming - this sort of crappy behaviour drove me to Linux a long time ago for my main PCs.

No way I'm paying for an upgrade to Pro just to avoid mandatory updates, nor do I think much of needing hacks to prevent my OS rebooting at its leisure. I don't really care anymore, anyway. I only use Windows for gaming - this sort of crappy behaviour drove me to Linux a long time ago for my main PCs.

Well, if you think about it, it sort of makes sense. Casual users usually end up with Home editions, and they usually know squat about maintaining their systems. So you have to enforce updating as default. From what I see Microsoft cares about their overall image/perception as to how secure their system is. If they give you the option to disable, some users, sometimes upon stupid recommendations from other users or just googling, will tinker with stuff without realizing what they're doing. Thus exposing their systems. Thus contributing to the perception that Microsoft's OS is not secure. (how secure it is actually isn't even part of this discussion). So if you want to have that option you'd best opt for the other version. (and from I gather, the difference in price is around 40 dollars).

Back
Top Bottom