What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Oh, forgot to mention I also saw Joker last Wednesday. Liked a quite bit, but for some reason I did not love the ending as much as everyone seems to have loved it. Joaquin was absolutely amazing in it. He became the character. I'd give it a 4/5 stars I think. I'll have to rewatch it when they release it on bluray. And I hope they do a director's cut that includes the scene Joaquin said was his favorite, and that was cut from the theatrical cut.

31 I am a Rob Zombie fan, both for films and music, but he has definitely gone off the boil in recent years. I enjoyed both Halloweens and Lords of Salem but 31 feels like a cheap indie production from a first time director. Bare-bones story and nothing to see because it's shot in near darkness. I have 3 From Hell arriving on Saturday - I hope it's better than this dreck.

Wax Mask lovely throwback to the 70's Hammer/Bava pictures. This was a big deal in the 90's because it was supposed to be a legendary team up for director Lucio Fulci and producer Dario Argento who were both riding high on their work from the 70's and '80s (Zombi, The Beyond, Suspiria, Dawn of the Dead). Lucio passed away during pre-production so another cult icon, sfx guy Sergio Stivaletti, took the job. It's evident from the get go that Sergio received a lot of guidance from Dario from the composition and use of gels but this adds to the throwback feel and is great. Things go down hill at the end with some dodgey digital fire but still an enjoyable romp.

31 I am a Rob Zombie fan, both for films and music, but he has definitely gone off the boil in recent years. I enjoyed both Halloweens and Lords of Salem but 31 feels like a cheap indie production from a first time director. Bare-bones story and nothing to see because it's shot in near darkness. I have 3 From Hell arriving on Saturday - I hope it's better than this dreck.

You have to understand Rob a bit, just like when he broke up the band white zombie, only to come out as rob zombie. How to say this right. He hated having to take his other band members input with white zombie, so they broke up and now with rob zombie he can do whatever he wants with his music.

House of a 1000 and for the most part the devils rejects were and are indy movies. He did what he wanted with the limited money he had. The studios didn't do that when they backed him with their Helloween moves. Always in his face etc…that isn't him.

Now back to the movies…..

I really liked 31 and didn't like lords of Salem, it is the only one i haven't re watched and well others have well more then a few times.

3 From Hell, what to say about it, without spoiling it at all. It is a great movie, just lacking because with the first two we had all the characters to love or hate and it followed the story of them being killed or as the killers….

Well guess what!!!!! When you get to a third and second or the third doesn't go back in time….and everyone is a killer or getting killed or both…well there isn't many people left…

new people well …their isn't time now to give us a NEW person(S) back ground without dragging down the movie badly. Leaving us with the 3 from hell left to carry a movie.,…

Now why i really liked it Spoiler …..Spoiler….Sid Hag(rest his soul) was really sick and has pasted. NOT THE REASON I LIKED THE MOIVE, I really loved him in a lot of his b movies. This made it more like 2 from hell, so it became the BABY show.

You know Rob loves to show of his real life wife in his movies and music videos. Well her Charter Baby was on full crazy in this movie..

3 from hell 7-10
Devils rejects 8.3-10
House of a 1000 9.76-10

Last edited:
Upgrade. Cool cyberpunk'ish action movie. Not-Tom-Hardy wasn't exactly great, he does some scenes really well and in others he's really bad. I wish it had real-Tom Hardy and a bigger budget and that it was more than a action movie, could have been a bit longer. 6.8/10

You nuts? That flick deserved at least 8/10. It demonstrates you don't need $500 millions to make a good sci-fi if your script doesn't stink and besides it's a spiritual successor to all the numerous historical short sci fi stories about the imperfect future.

I have no idea who's Tom Hardy nor care, if that name always appears in sci fi movies I've skipped somehow all of those. The thing is with resources they had the crew did an amazing job. If they all ever gather again for another project it's instawatch for me. Even if it's yet another vomit inducing found footage garbage.

I am Mother: Good sci-fi flick from Netflix that surprises you and doesn't fall into cliche traps. One of the better movies I've watched in the past few months. 8/10

It Chapter 2: Such a horrible film that I took a break from watching multiple times. A 2 hour 50 minute runtime , with at least an hour of that being unnecessary flashbacks. About the only good thing in this film was the casting of each adult character. 2/10

It Chapter 2: Such a horrible film that I took a break from watching multiple times. A 2 hour 50 minute runtime , with at least an hour of that being unnecessary flashbacks. About the only good thing in this film was the casting of each adult character. 2/10

Pity about It ch 2; I really liked part 1 but have been reluctant to see part 2 due to the bad reviews.

You nuts? That flick deserved at least 8/10. It demonstrates you don't need $500 millions to make a good sci-fi if your script doesn't stink and besides it's a spiritual successor to all the numerous historical short sci fi stories about the imperfect future.

I have no idea who's Tom Hardy nor care, if that name always appears in sci fi movies I've skipped somehow all of those. The thing is with resources they had the crew did an amazing job. If they all ever gather again for another project it's instawatch for me. Even if it's yet another vomit inducing found footage garbage.

Who the hell doesn't know who Tom Hardy is.. lol.. and no he's not in sci-fi movies unless you count Mad Max i guess.. No it doesn't deserve an 8, i guess if i would take budget and "i'll give him a break, it's his first flick, he'll get better", but i don't judge movies like that. It's not a bad movie.

You know Rob loves to show of his real life wife in his movies and music videos. Well her Charter Baby was on full crazy in this movie..

3 from hell 7-10
Devils rejects 8.3-10
House of a 1000 9.76-10
Watched it last night and thought it was bad. Not as bad as 31 because at least it was lit better... but damn I hated focusing on the scumbag gang and their stupid chit-chat. Most of the time I felt like I was watching Rob's home movies showing his friends doing and saying dumb shit. I don't want them as my anti-heroes because they are all utterly unlikable.
31 2/10
3 From Hell 2.5/10
Devils Rejects 8/10
House 1000 Corpses 8.5/10

No. It's gonna be another overhyped and overrated mainstream movie everyone and their mother will rush to see ignoring all the new gems out there.

I'm currently exploring ancient HK martial arts movies (not Bruce Lee) and am having a blast. Cheesy to extreme, I'm laughing like never before in my life. Feels so goodafter past decade of advertised comedies with humor so poor I couldn't even snicker during the whole movie.

The common blueprint is the same: some looser gets beaten almost to death, finds a trainer who "tortures" him by crazy training techniques and then the MC wins against a boss.
But acrobatics, coreography and crazy set of characters are never the same, or if are (drunken master reappearing in more than one movie) never do the same stuff. Noone makes this kind of movies any more. Sadly.

I did watch some of these a few centuries ago when I was a kid. Can't believe there are so many more I've never heard about, all good or better.

Last edited:
For good bad movies i watch Red Letter Media and Good Bad or Bad Bad on YT.. then i don't need to watch the entire movie + its fun to see people's reaction + discussions around the hilarity. On occasion i watch something in its entirety, if it seems like its really "good" (in a fun way).

As for Terminator, i'm not sure people are falling for these feminist movement movies any longer. Many of them flop.

I'm not talking about bad good nor good bad movies. :)

I'm talking about a specific movie style produced in HK thanks to trained acrobats from Peking opera who didn't need, and still don't need, stuntmen.
Later these movies got degenerated by retarded tricks of making filler not all coming from hollywood to be fair (knifethrowing and it's flight slown down to the point of annoyance or boredom) and an example of this idiocy is overrated Eastern Condors.
As it didn't go well with the audience and there was still a desire to add something new, a so called wire-fu appeared. Some loved it and TBH it has some fantastic entries, for example Kung Fu Hustle, but most of titles using that stuff are horrible beyond words or are plain overrated.

About so bad it's good, or so good it's bad movies… I have no idea what these are.
For example some sites suggested Braindead as one such movie. IMO it's boring and mediocre. Nothing bad in there and nothing good either. But I guess some people love Peter Jackson.

Ok, well they do review movies made by stuntmen, theyre often quite funny since these stuntmen aren't really great actors ;) and they have episodes that focuses entirely on older Kung Fu movies too, but its mostly american ones. Braindead would be considered too good or too well known to be reviewed on mentioned sites. Loved that movie as a teenager, would probably hate it today.

Last edited:
For people that liked The Big Short, I can recommend The Laundromat. It's pretty good. In the same vein, but not about the 2008 financial crash but about corporate tax avoidance and laundering money. It's insane, the kind of world we live in. Where parasites thrive and making billions, while not paying their fair share.

MV5BMGQ1MDgxMWMtMjMzNC00YmE4LWJhNjctNGU4ZDk3MWY0ZGFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2Mzg4MA@@._V1_.jpg

Well... I saw big short; movie had some interesting info but the actual 'movie' wasn't that much fun to watch - would have been better as a book.

For people that liked The Big Short, I can recommend The Laundromat. It's pretty good. In the same vein, but not about the 2008 financial crash but about corporate tax avoidance and laundering money. It's insane, the kind of world we live in. Where parasites thrive and making billions, while not paying their fair share.

MV5BMGQ1MDgxMWMtMjMzNC00YmE4LWJhNjctNGU4ZDk3MWY0ZGFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2Mzg4MA@@._V1_.jpg

Batman:Hush Excellent! All characters on point except for a feeble Joker, but he has only a minor part in this story. I normally hate changes to a canon story but in this case the changes are significant but logical.

Which batman? There are so many of htem now I keep thinking of adam west version...

Batman:Hush Excellent! All characters on point except for a feeble Joker, but he has only a minor part in this story. I normally hate changes to a canon story but in this case the changes are significant but logical.

Back
Top Bottom