System Shock 3 - Tencent Now Owns Website

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Bluesnews reports that the domain for System Shock 3 and System Shock 4 now belongs to Tencent.

System Shock 3 may have found a savior in Chinese giant Tencent following reports of layoffs at developer OtherSide Entertainment amid financial difficulties. VGC reports both the SystemShock3.com and SystemShock4 domains were transferred to Tencent Holdings last week, suggesting a deal between Tencent and OtherSide to help get the new installment in the action/RPG series back on track.
More information.

Here comes the CCP to ruin something else.

Wait, System Shock 4???? I didn't know that!

Cool. I love epic game store. There is nothing else which gives as many quality free games as Epic. I have over 40 free games and counting including titles like: Mutant Year Zero, Thimbleweed Park, Grand Theft Auto 5, FTL, Shadow Tactics, Kingdom Come Deliverance, This war is mine etc etc. Not the free crap that most other stores give.

Cool. I love epic game store. There is nothing else which gives as many quality free games as Epic. I have over 40 free games and counting including titles like: Mutant Year Zero, Thimbleweed Park, Grand Theft Auto 5, FTL, Shadow Tactics, Kingdom Come Deliverance, This war is mine etc etc. Not the free crap that most other stores give.
Just picked up my free GTA5 on Epic a few days ago…not sure I'll ever get around to playing it after how amazingly dull GTA4 was, but it's impressive they're giving away games for free that Steam sells for $40.

Hmmm, Tencent is one of the most aggressive and absolutely revenue-driven video game publishers out there, so my assumtion is that Tencent is doing the THQ Nordic dance:
* Buy an old IP on the cheap
* Create a lowcost "reboot"
* See how it fares:
* Exploit if business is successful
* Abandon if business is bad

So far, so good, but...
... remember, Tencent is an extreme capitalist company.

If the "reboot" is unsuccessful, they will abandon it by RETAINING the IP, so System Shock will legally die.

If the "reboot" is successful, they will try to expand it into mass market, very similar to Bethesda's Fallout strategy:
FO3: successful reboot,
FO4: updating the formula to more general audience,
FO: Shelter: mobile spinoff,
FO76: mass market

What Epic?

It's obvious what's gonna happen there. Instead of LOL2, Riot will make a new MOBA in SS setting.

Is it already written Unreal or are they going to start over - again.

Well I have nothing against Epic but they have an ulterior motive for giving away free games. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. It's about client user numbers.

As for System Shock 3 & 4 not really happy that Tencent now owns the IP.

Tencent....I wonder who really owns them.

Well I have nothing against Epic but they have an ulterior motive for giving away free games. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. It's about client user numbers.

You mean they, gasp, aren't giving away games just to make our lives better? It's not an "ulterior" motive. It's THE motive, it's obvious and they're not trying to hide it.

Yeah, to me the good thing is that a game I'd like to see might have found the funding to continue. Once you get into significant budgets, any investor is likely no more or less ruthlessly profit-seeking than another.

Domain. As in website name. Doesn't mean it's in any way under current development, just that they're preparing for the eventuality that it could one day be.

I know what a Domain Name is. My surprise comes from the fact nobody ever heard of plans for a System Shock 4 game. Seriously, SS3 and SS Remastered are taking ages to see the light of the day and they had (at least theoretically) plans for a SS4?

Last edited:
I know what a Domain Name is. My surprise comes from the fact nobody ever heard of plans for a System Shock 4 game. Seriously, SS3 and SS Remastered are taking ages to see the light of the day and they had (at least theoretically) plansfor a SS4?

And I'm saying registering a domain name doesn't constitute plans.

And I'm saying registering a domain name doesn't constitute plans.

That's why I used "theoretically" in my response to you posted above.

Back
Top Bottom